Note to New Members ×

Hiking Highland Bowl

digger jr

Thinking of taking a hike up Highland Bowl on Saturday after a morning carve session. Should still be some good snow? Anybody done it before? Do people usually strap their boards to a back pack or just carry them? Looks like it could be a sunny day. The views on top must be great.

I have always just carried my board, I think it is the best RUN in the area... 45 or 50 degrees in Bottomless Pow and the view on top is worth the effort regardless...I usually go as early as possible, when the sun is on the open slope...late in the day you would have shade on the bottom exit with its misshapen moguls, so some caution on the exit and all is well...Enjoy  :biggthump

I skied it with a Helicopter in 81, and the next day was looking for my tracks at 7 in the morning before going to work...I had told a friend how good it was and Lou and John thought they should do it the next day...this article explains what happened...Lou of course was the first skier to climb and ski down all 54 Colorado 14,000 ft. peaks and is in the Colorado Skiing Hall of Fame...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/49772-Highland-Bowl-Special-Place-Great-Article

Edited by softbootsailer

I was at SES last year (or the year before - don't recall). One day it snowed hard all day. The next day was scheduled at Highlands. Because of all the new snow, I brought my soft-boot board. A bunch of people were in line waiting for the lift to open. The person in line next to me said that she was heading to Highlands Bowl. She had never been. Neither had I. I decided "why not?". I didn't realize that it involved nearly an hour climb. When I got on top, the view was spectacular. I only wished that I had brought my powder board (a Burton Fish).

The ride down was fantastic! I didn't do it justice partly because of my board, partly because of my skills & partly because I was a bit scared.

In retrospect, this was on my bucket list. I just didn't know it at the time.  

• Like 1

In retrospect, this was on my bucket list. I just didn't know it at the time.  

Nice!  That's a very inspriring statement.  

Is this an expert-only ride?  I have no experience riding with exposure in soft snow, is this something I should even consider?  Tight chutes scare me, but steeps don't.  

Corey - 

I'm certain that you can do it (& will love it). It is steep but wide open. The biggest variable will be the snow conditions. The biggest risk is avalanche. You're counting that whomever declares it safe to ride knows their stuff. 

There is no serious Avalanche threat IN the Bowl...It is not opened unless it is safe...while surface slides can add up, I am unaware of Anyone being injured in the Bowl from an Avalanche since it has been opened to the public, boot packed in the late fall, with a daily regimen of safety precautions, you should feel safe , because it is safe...Enjoy