Note to New Members ×

DIY Intuition heat-moldable liner

John E

There are several DIYs including some videos on the intraweb showing how to heat-mold your Intution liners. Even the one published by Intuition suggests using rice in a sock heated in a microwave. 

Has anyone tried this to re-mold older liners? How were the results?

OK so I tried this over the weekend and was somewhat successful. Basically, the instructions (even from Intuition) describe how to heat the liner by putting 3 - 4 pounds of rice into a sock, heat it in a microwave & put it into the liner & leave it there for 5 - 10 minutes. I followed these instructions but found that trying to get any amount of rice past the ankle really doesn't work.

An alternate heating scheme that my wife came up with would be to use some of those gel ice packs (they state that they can be used for warmth as well). I think if you put a pot of water on the stove, put in 6 - 8 gel ice packs, heat the water to about 180 deg F or so, & then slip them into the liners, it would be much easier to get them deep into the toe of the boots. 

Anyway, my attempts with the rice worked well enough so that when everyone was complaining about how cold it was last Sunday, my feet were happy. 

Or you could put them in the oven...  It works really well and is simple.  I've molded a set 5 times.  I've heard they don't expand much once they are heated too many times.  

A heat pack won't warm the liner evenly, not to mention the horror story of what happens if one breaks/explodes while it's hot enough to burn you.  See the hot glow stick video.  

We here at Bomber leave it to the professionals: we have our bootfitter who we use and send everyone to.  Bootfitting at home can work, but the results aren't the same/as good as when you take it to someone whose job it is to make your feet happy.

There are several DIYs including some videos on the intraweb showing how to heat-mold your Intution liners. Even the one published by Intuition suggests using rice in a sock heated in a microwave. 

Has anyone tried this to re-mold older liners? How were the results?

I just remolded some 10-15yr old raichle wrap liners (1-2 preveous molds)   with great success. I buckled them down pretty tight into new scarpa pegasus AT boots after punching  the ball of the foot(Svane at sandpoint sports, great fitter).

26.5/27 shell fit good length wise but narrow last. The older foam didn't seem to expand as much as newer would, and I compressed it so I'm thinking it won't pack out to much.

Used the oven method (heat to 240*f, put liner in, turn off oven, let sit 10 min or til puffed up).

I used a shorty sock folded back and forth over the ball of foot as a toe cap to expand the sides w/out adding length with molded foot bed inside ultra thin sock.

Carefully tuck softened liner(hot) into shell then gently insert festooned foot and set the heel deep into the heel pocket using inclined board or block under the toe and buckle loosely from toe up.

Flex for/aft gently a couple times as the liner cools keeping your weight back into the heel pocket.

Optional, Cinch buckles tighter as it cools, 15min or more, for looser fit.

easy peasy 50bucks pleasey

Edited by b0ardski