Note to New Members ×

Trying to figure out good board size for my kid

skategoat

My 12 year old finally wants to carve. After three seasons of jibbing, he has seen the light.

I just picked up a nice set of AF600s for him. Now I'm looking for a board.

He's 5ft, 100lbs but he has big feet for his age - mondo 26.5. I'm thinking about soft boards in the 145-150cm range. Have I got the right size? I see a lot of Burton FPs in that size range. Is this board soft enough for a kid?

BTW, the kid wants a custom Coiler. He has good taste but a poor grip on reality.

Thanks in advance.

Henry

Guest Todd Stewart

An ultra prime or factory prime should be fine, I started on a ultra prime 168 when I was 13 and 120 pounds, can't remeber how tall I was at the time though. A good board to look at would be the burton alps series or e-decks, they are more all mountain oriented and should be easier for him to flex. Hot also makes some decent boards that are easy to flex. As far as lenght goes I probally wouldn't advise anything over 155. If you are still interested in coilers after a couple of years you might want to check out some of the other custom templates that Bruce has made in the past.

A 164 factory prime (or speed) would be great for him. This board was designed for a person with similar deminsions. Don't buy a carving board based on size, think about turn size and flex. Also remember a board made for Sl might be harder to learn on than a forgiving G.S. board.

164 or 168 seems like a lot of board. I hear you on buying a board based on flex, but there is no accurate flex measurement other than a mfg's subjective description.

I'll look up the prime and speed. I was thinking of something in a 11m radius would be easy for him to control and still give him decent GS turning characteristics.

Henry

when i was looking for board for my brother, i was trying to stay under 155, specially for a kid of that size.

anything over that would be to much for him to handle. when i was 14, when i started riding a race board, i learned on a 162 ultra prime.

so i would think something flexible between 145 and 160 would probly be the best.

Barret.

Hi Skategoat,

I've got 2 used F2 Roadsters and Protec bindings if you are interested.

I am not sure of the listed length (both the same lengths), my brother bought them back then. I went to measure them tonite and looks like 151cm tip to toe on a flat surface, probably 153 or if I recall 154cm listed. The side cut is around 8m or something like that.

The boards worked fine until we moved on to Wild Ducks and Swoards!!

I live in Ajax, just let me know.