Note to New Members ×

Coiler Angrry 160

Gabe T

Hi Gabe T

What SCR does your Angry 160 have?

Did you have a choice as to what SCR would work on the 160 Angry?

My questions are inspired by an interest in a Coiler with an Extra Tight SCR.

Guys have posted comments about Extra Tight Al mountain Coilers, the Angry, etc.

I am curious if the XXT - SCR's are the same or different on the angry vs the Al Mountain, vs a SL board, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts or insights.

Rob

I have the XXT sidecut in a 160 Angry and the XT sidecut on a 167 AM VSR. They are pretty similar, but the XXT Angry is much more eager to turn under you. It's also less composed at higher speeds.

I love the XXT if I'm stuck on mild blue runs or narrow runs. If I have any steepness or width, I prefer the XT sidecut. Bruce described the XXT Angry as a "gimmick board", and something that "you wouldn't want to ride all day."  It makes a lame little hill near me fun enough to spend a whole day.  My old review with some videos are here: http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/36947-angrry-160-first-ride 

Gabe is making some pretty big turns on that Angry! Gabe, were you really stretching those out?  We have very different riding styles - I'm surprised you aren't making tiny turns with that much energy being put into the board.  

Hi Cory

Gabe is making some pretty big turns on that Angry! Gabe, were you really stretching those out?  We have very different riding styles - I'm surprised you aren't making tiny turns with that much energy being put into the board.

Thanks for your feedback.  

Your comments above are EXACTLY what inspired my question, do your two Angry 160's have different SCR? I have already watched and read your Angry review quite some time ago, the turns your Angry vs Gabe T's angry appear to want to make different turns ... or is this just rider input?

What SCR for a Coiler makes it an XXT sidecut?

What SCR for a Coiler makes it an XT sidecut?

I have a 171 Nirvana with a 10/12/11 SCR, it can make turns tight turns and can also carry speed very well.  The size of turns of my Nirvana, I 'THINK' are very close to Gabe T's Angrry.  At the same time my board can't turn as quick as Cory's Angrry.

Thanks in advance for helping me working this out:)

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

Rob, the Angrry I’m riding is one of Bruce’s demos.  

http://www.coiler.com/ANGRRY.html

It’s 19cm wide and has a variable sidecut that averages out around at around 9.5m. I don’t think the sidecuts would necessarily be exactly the same between different models of boards.  In terms of choice, I’m sure that the sidecuts could be tweaked to match your needs with Bruce’s input.

Corey, I’ve been meaning to add some additional comments referencing your earlier review.   Yes, I definitely was making some bigger turns than usual.  The run in the video was a bit faster than the ideal for that board; it felt like I was pushing the speed threshold at times.   As you had mentioned, the Angrry really feels at its best when making tighter turns on a mellower run.  It does show how you can utilize the variable sidecut to vary the turn shape though.

I too found myself riding this board late into the day.  At my hill, this typically means riding in some softer and bumpier conditions.   I’ve never really enjoyed carving under these conditions; at that point,   I’m usually changing over to my skis.   On the occasions where I do stay on the board, I usually find myself changing my riding style to avoid trench digging too deep;  I incorporate sliding with fairly brief carve pressure.   I don’t find this type of riding too fun on bigger boards as the sliding feels sluggish.    This is where the Angrry was surprisingly fun!  Its short length makes these movements feel more responsive and nimble.   I’ve heard Bruce recount this same sentiment from others who have had the opportunity to try a board of this nature in soft conditions.

Corey, I saw your comment about the board not being suited for soft snow but I’m assuming you’re likely referring to more of a carving style of riding.

Also agree that this would be an unlikely choice as ones only board, but would be a great compliment to a bigger board that offers a bit more comfort and stability at higher speeds.  I had never ridden an alpine board as short as the 160 so it was a refreshing change of pace.   I’m definitely considering adding this to the collection!

Gabe

Corey, I saw your comment about the board not being suited for soft snow but I’m assuming you’re likely referring to more of a carving style of riding.

Yes, you nailed it. I found the Angry was quite eager to hook the nose and throw you over the highside in soft stuff. Then again, that was version 1 for me with an experimental flex/camber pattern. The one I have now is better suited to me, but I can't recall if I've ever seen soft snow with it or not. Usually I'm on yellow ice (river water pumped through snow guns) or very firm groom.

If I recall the XXT sidecar averages 9.5m while the XT averages 10.5m.

I love my Angry - when it's no fun ride a big board. If I'm going to Aspen, the Angry stays home.

Gabe T, Cory, thank you very much for your feedback.

The angry sounds cool, but probably not for the conditions I see most often.  

The SCR of my Nirvana Balance averages out at about 11 M, I guess this is an XT sidecut.  

Thanks in advance

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

• 2 months later...