Note to New Members ×

Völkl Racetiger GS 183 Snowboard

andiss

i have one of those, it's a great carving board but also not a beginners board.

13m isnt huge but at your weight you'd need a good bit of speed to make it turn promptly, and knowledge of whats going to happen at the end of the turn.

mine wants to go uphill and when you aren't expecting that it's quite a surprise.

i can sell you an older 168.

Photo?     They made alpine boards for quite a few years with major variations.   Off hand,  too much board.  Simply stated.  Shorter, softer, tighter radius for a new alpine rider build confidence.   Long, stiff , large radius boards tend to scare the bejesus out of folks :)

If its a newish board, like 2-3 years sure thats a good deal. Otherwise forget it. Better stuff on ebay.de. I wouldnt go anywhere near a 183 board as a beginner. Start with a too short GS board. In our group we recommend going two sizes down. So from 183 go to a very low 170 or high 160.

• Like 1

Thanks for all tips. I have a 160cm factory prime already. 80$ for board, binding and boots on eBay. New unused - but I'm still looking around a bit. (Just in case)

The Diablo was class - I was like 18 and 70kg when I got it. Used to do flatland carving 360s at my local hill. Ridiculous looking board as it was twin tip - effective edge probably only something like 140cm so massive noose and tail. Swollowed everything in its way and it was fast!

I'll stay away from that völkl.

Here's the link to it

http://www.snowshop.de/Voelkl-Racetiger-GS-183-Snowboard_1

This is a made-in-China Völkl raceboard!

Völkl snowboards made in China became unsaleable on the Alps. Völkl snowboards disappeared totaly from shelf of core snowboard shops. Völkl took back production from China to Bavaria (Straubing) of many skis, as they realized customers like to buy only true skis and good quality skis.

I recommend: Look-up for older MADE IN GERMANY Völkl raceboards.

V%C3%83%C2%B6lkl-Made_in_Germany.JPG

Outline of "newer" and "after-CAP" Renntiger / Racetiger shape didn't change since they are orginaly introduced to market out of Straubing (no shape modification over one decade). Orginaly, I mean right shape on right flex pattern, like the shaper want it. Not any flex because of any wood like Chineese did laminate them. And even without any delimination of Titanal stringers as well known from Völkl Selecta snowboards.

Edited by snowmatic

Thanks for the response - I guess that explains why the original price was only like 500ish and why it's still unsold - I saw the board in April for the same price.

While a f2 silverpiel test board with a 75% discount went in a week or so.

Sounds like saving the money and use it for a trip is more well spent

Agree - its way easier to buy new stuff than to get better technique - I can specially relate to that with my surfing - what really helped me to get better was a few days with a trainer in portugal a few years back - I've gone thru +30 boards and i would basically order the same dimensions.

If you apply the right technique - you can surf any board really  as per video below ( well if the gear isn't absolute crap and completely wrong)

Heading to Davos in December so will check if there is any local coaches. :ph34r:

Love the foam plank surfing...i remember a pic in a 1988 or 89 surfer of a barbados local or sri lanka local surfing on a door!

Surfing is at crossroads of many new ways of riding and inventing new stuff ( hybrids, spoons, finless , mackie swallows etc..) and snowboard developpement is stalling....meaning at a point we shall see it disappear as it is I guess..split boards, wide carvers, fun boards..as we said in the EC manifesto back in 2002, too specialized equipement almost killed alpine...has not changed if you look at carving equipement today ( complex plates, boards, interface etc)..

Surfing had the same issue in the early 90's with ultra thin ultra narrow boards that were aimed at good/pro level...then came the hybrids that saved the business, and surfboards dimensions evolved back to safety zone ( I remember seeing a KSlater board for sale in a surfshop in Hossegor in '90, it was so thin you could see your hands distinctly through the board's foam)..

As for starting carving, it will be less painfull to learn on a board not designed for racing at its time...meaning softer tips, less stiff body..since choice on second hand is not that big a shorter board in the 158-170 cm range seems fine..bigger gets dangerous ( lock in trajectory syndrome).

N

Sound - well what I have been thinking of doing is to take my "softboot" board ( a 169cm, 25cm wide with a 140cm effective edge) and put the hard boot and race plates on that one before I even move on to the factory prime.

In regards to surfing - its kind of funny (and probably a result of all boards are machine shaped this days) that the emphasis on volyme in litre has exploded lately. Before it was a hit or miss if the board would float you or not, well it was pending the shaper if he knew what he was doing. Im riding 6'0"s now compared to 6'3"s a few years back but all my boards have roughly the same volume. And it seems PU is coming back again - compared to all surftech and salomon's attempt to do boards.

You def need less amount of boards this days also, a one board quiver is getting more and more likely - well as long its not big or heavy slabs where you need a bit more meat