Note to New Members ×

Burton Shadows Question

utahcarver

Anyone know how the forward lean/flex adjustment works on these things? I just can't seem to get much forward lean or any flex out of these boots. The boots have a bolt mounted vertically with a spring on the top portion of the bolt held by a nut with finger knurling/flat blade screwdriver slots. There is also a window, of sorts, cut into the plastic boot that allows for an adjustment of another nut with knurling on it.

It seems that no matter what adjustment I make to the nut(s) I can see no difference in flex or any visual change in the alignment of the boot shell.

Help!

if I remember correctly it was similar to the reactor but not the same

I am looking at a pair of winds right now the older boots had the same part just upside down

the upper nut will change your lean and the lower will compress the spring

I dont remember what the shadow had bit its was similar

with the reactor,furnace,wind and fire it was a four or five position boot that could be further adjusted by way of the nut

sorry I cannot be more specific to the shadow

By backup boots are mid '90's Reactors. I'm not sure if they use the same ride/relax mechanism, but it is likely.

You adjust the forward/back lean by turning the 2 slotted nuts up or down the same number of turns. Up for forward, down for back. If you don't do the same number of turns the spring in between the nuts gets uselessly compressed or uselessly loose. On mine, the lower nut is hidden unless you unlock and push the cuff forward. There's not much adjustment.

The nuts adjust the mid point of the boot when in locked or "ride"

mode. the spring does a little dampening but not much.

These boots really make me appreciate the superior adjustments on my raichles!

ds