Note to New Members ×

177 Donek Metal Ax, 179 Coiler AM wide (23 cm)

teach

177 Metal Ax 21.5 waist, 10.5 - 12.5 m VSR, built for around 200 lbs. Very turny, damp, eats bumpy snow for breakfast, carves great on the 1" loose over ice we had earlier this season. Bought this last fall from  another BOL member who bought it new. Very little use then and I've only put about 6 hours on it. No grinds, in fact the edges are still however they come from Donek. A topsheet chip or two, same as when I got it. $400 plus shipping. (I got a great price on this and will pass that on.) Sold.

179 Coiler AM 23 cm waist approx 12 - 13 m scr, built for around 200 lbs. I bought this a few seasons ago from another BOL member (EDIT: Spring 2013 after end of season). I used it for a few times last season until I got taken out. When I came back I used the 172 Proton and 185 Scott since the grooming was finally getting good. Similar characteristics to the Ax, great ice grip, turnier than you'd think given the scr. Turns as tight as a 10 m scr board without special effort. Condition: Base and edges are good. Some minor scratches in the base, not really deeper than a new structure. Some topsheet chips, including a major one near the tail. The previous owner patched it up with a generous amount of epoxy so no structural issue there. $275 plus shipping. (You may feel the topsheet chunk warrants a lower price. True, maybe, but the wider versions of these are not so easy to find. I looked for some time -- that's what I paid for it and would like to get that back.)

EDIT: price $250 plus shipping, weight range 180 - 200.

I bought these boards to 1) determine if I can use a wider alpine board for freeriding instead of a soft-boot setup and 2) to determine a width that works. The answer to 1) is a resounding "yes" -- the Coiler proved that. However, I found that the wider boards seem to punish my knee more, either due to the lower angles or the leverage. This is the opposite of what many report so I was surprised. Anyway, I want one of these boards in 20 cm width (that seems to work best for me). Would definitely consider trades.

Photos:

post-2504-0-30131200-1424729954_thumb.jppost-2504-0-05805300-1424729965_thumb.jp

Edited by teach

lonbordin, that's not where I got it, but that's it for sure. Includes "Caution" sticker. Thanks for locating that.

I'll edit the post to reflect some details (180 - 200 lbs, makes sense as it's quite turny for me at 200 lbs), and ask $250 plus shipping.

I'll add photos as well.

jatkinson -- I have a really hard time determining when a board is suitable for a different weight rider. I can say that I did have a Coiler AM that was built for a 250 lb rider (8.0 on the flex scale) and that was quite a bit stiffer than this. I couldn't turn it when I started unless the snow was soft. So I'd say this might work well to get started with hard boots, but you'd soon want something a little stiffer. Maybe other forum members can be more helpful here.

icebiker -- are you going to get to Camelback one of these days? It's been consistently good. OK, second in line.

Haven't been to PA yet this year but given the season has been good I do plan to. Would love to meet up with you and other area hardbooters there or similar Pocono mtn (Blue, etc). I plan to take a mid-week day off sometime soon.  Just back from CO so catching up at office, but could likely do in the next couple of weeks.  Will post up in the PA forum if so.