Note to New Members ×

Jay Peak anyone?

pmorita

• 2 years later...
On 12/14/2017 at 4:27 PM, powdahbonz said:

Dave...enjoy yourself bud..bring something for the powder. They've had a great week of accumulation..wish I could join you! Have fun!

Thank you Derek!  Pretty amazing for early season(74/79 trails open).  Some trail shouldn't be open in my opinion; it's more rock than snow hahaha... /cry my base.

23cm waist BX board is amazing versatile. 
The good:  I am getting better at riding powder lol.
the bad: i can't link my turn on the steepish run(the jet); hopefully it will come back.  seems like a timing issue:  bleed too much speed off toe/heel side and I just stalled

leg is done, lung is burning.  2017/2018 season have officials begin for me.  BTW happy winter solstice 2017 everyone; as it mark the beginning of winter.

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

the bad: i can't link my turn on the steepish run(the jet); hopefully it will come back.  seems like a timing issue:  bleed too much speed off toe/heel side and I just stalled

Care to elaborate just a bit more? Are you getting stuck on the heel to toe transition, the toe to heel, or both?  

There are a few easy fixes for continuity problems in the soft stuff.

Thank you Doctor!

Any pointers you can spare are welcome :-)

Heel to toe tend to be more problematic but it's both.
Seems what little progress i make late last season have fleeting me once again. 
Just overall lost the fluidity/timing...  Hope it's just early season cob-web/rustiness.
Compare to last season:  less dynamic when it comes to weighting, more stiff, not angulated/rotate enough and not bending enough.
Granted the board i was more comfortable on is a 174/20 waist/variable radius carve specific stick
This trip I was riding only a 163/23/single radius BX board(my all mountain) setup.

mental note I did take:
If I don't bleed off too much speed(don't decamber/bend the board as aggressive) and throw a 1-2 quick turn to build up more speed in between and I am "ok".
The transition definitely feel "violent" and not smooth/relax.
By the end:  back to grabbing the foot cuff seems to cure some of the mechanical deficiency.

Heel to toe in pow is often complicated by the rear boot.

If you have boots with laces, don't lace the rear boot to the top, stop at least one set of hooks from the top. If double Boa system, leave the upper Boa looser on the rear boot than the front. If you have those 'pull start' cords, leave some slack in the top end. 

Powder is very reactive, and you'll often get too much input at the back end, so when you try to ease your way into the toeside, the system fights back, leading to a moment of 'lockup'.

Also, If the rear binding is centered, offset toward the toeside, overhang be damned.