Note to New Members ×

Board Choice?

Deadshred

I have been riding alpine for a short time now. I currently ride a Burton Alp 164cm. I don't know if its me or the board, but I just cant get it to hold a carve in turns. It feels like its going to just skid out from underneath me. I was thinking of getting a longer board, maybe a 168-171. I read a lot of good things about "Swoard" boards and "Donek" Freecarve boards. If money wasnt' an issue, which it is, which board would be easier to lay out carves with/ more versatile/better all around board???? Thanks...

Originally posted by Deadshred

I don't know if its me or the board, but I just cant get it to hold a carve in turns.

Are there are other boards you can hold a carve on? Are there some snow/hill conditions in which you can hold a carve, but not others?

Answering these questions might help to determine the answer to the question of yours that I quoted.

As for the question of which board is ideal, again, more information is needed. Do you like making big turns or small? Do you like to ride fast? Do you aim to also ride powder/moguls with this board? Do you usually ride on crowded hills, or are you lucky enough to have big wide-open spaces?

also, how much do you weigh? you could be too heavy for the board youre riding? It could also simply be technique (or lack thereof) or even improper setup

forget the swoard for now. if youre sorta just feeling things out and do decide you want a bigger board, there are plenty out there for much less money that will perform perfectly fine

As as been said the weight v angulation v feet angles v you actual centripital Cof G all play a very big part in carving a turn,

I'm still learning my technique too as I tend to blow out heel side truns on occaisions.

It looks like a SMES ( Snowy Mountains Expression Session ) is a distinct possibility Baka I'll keep you posted .

I was having alot of trouble riding narrow boards (18 CM)

a week or two ago John Gilmour got me where I needed to be at one of his "dialed in" shindigs

it has made a huge difference in my riding

so that could be some of whats going on given a alp is not that narrow

but if your angles are too low or high or your stance width is too wide or or small allot of issues are going to mess things up

give us some more info and we can try and help you

Hey thanks for the replys, I weigh 190lbs. 5'8" tall . I've tried several different binding angles. From tame to extreme, all to no avail. I'm sure my lack of technique is part of the problem. I find myself standing tall(straight legged) towards the end of my turns. I'm not sure if my shoulders should be square to the fall line or not. When I board with soft boots, these nuances don't seem as important! I've never really been shown the proper way of carving a turn. I heard the reviews of the Swoard, and everyone said that it was so easy to initiate turns, carve, edge hold etc... I usually ride fairly groomed trails. Not always super wide+crowded at times. I sometimes need to navigate traffic. I would love to take a"good hard boot" lesson. I live in the New York area. Thanks again...Marty

I don't mean to be offensive, but the problem here is with your technique and not with your equipment. It sounds like you need lessons from any carver, not necessarily a hardbooter. Carving is carving, regardless of the equipment. The ideas and technique are the same, they are just tweaked a little bit for hardboots.

Of course, if you would really like a lesson from an instructor riding hardboots, there are 5 of us here at Sugarloaf.