Note to New Members ×

experience 360 swivel mount on helmet with action cam (Gopro)?

Hans

Planning on buying a GoPro Hero 4 black and a 360 Swivel mount for my snowboardhelmet.

Anyone out here have some experience with it?

Because I am laying down carves, I thought wouldn't that be dangerous with a swivel mount on the helmet?

I don't go that fast in my lay down carves anyway.

Planning on buying this one with a safety magnet mount: http://rhinocameragear.com/store/rhino-ultimate-swivel-mount-bundle

Any opionions on using this or another solution would be appreciated.

Cheers, Hans.

No experience with the setup you propose. I'd toyed with the idea though but decided the potential problems were too difficult to solve.

I'd concerned about how close my head was going to get to the snow with every lay down turn and that one end of the pole is practically certain to be in the almost semi circle arc that will be close to the ground and potential damage. There's a 50% chance that's going to be the camera. If you touch down with too much force the magnet allows the rig to separate from the helmet. With each separation comes a trudge back up the hill to collect the camera and pole.

Love you to prove me wrong.

Well there's one way to find out. I have a pole which allows fixed mounting to the helmet, but on balance I thought that less useful than just using a pole. If you do the dive-for-the-snow stuff then I'd guess you will have some separations, but go pro is tough stuff.

http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/man-dies-snowboarding-impaling-gopole-getting-selfie/

Bethel Maine —Sean Gapre, 43, of Castle Rock, died Jan. 4th from injuries related to an accident that took place while he was snowboarding at Sunday River Resort on Jan. 4th.