Note to New Members ×

Another snowboarder has been ENLIGHTENED!

SWriverstone

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL---I agree Jack! Well, I was gonna hold off on the announcement 'til I receive the goods, but Bryan "Oldsnowboards" Sutherland made a generous offer I couldn't refuse on Raichle boots, SnoPro bindings, and a board---so I'll be there soon! I can't wait---I don't care how hard the carving setup seems---I'm stoked to try it out!

BTW, Bryan says the SnoPro bindings are missing one disk (see pic below)---anybody out there have one or know where I can find one?

Thanks,

Scott

snopro1.JPG

Feb. 2 Report...

I took yesterday off, didn't think my legs could handle it! After slaving away on a Flash movie today (deadline), I was going nuts from staring at a 21" CRT for 12 hours straight. It was 8pm---Whitetail closes at 10...could I make it in time? SURE! I hit "Send" on the email to the client, then bolted for the door.

It felt great just being out of the house, away from the 'puter. It was 80s night in the Toyota truck as I cranked up the Commodores, Huey Lewis, Men At Work, and other lost wonders on the way to the resort.

Got there just before 9pm, sure I could get in 5 runs. Crowds were light, which was nice. Conditions were mediocre. What's with the resorts that yell about their awesome conditions...when what they should say is "We've got a couple feet of 'white ice' underneath a dusting of particles that sort of resemble snow."

Anyway, I was overjoyed just to be on the lift again! I'd actually resigned myself to a "zero progress" night on my carving technique. But my legs felt stronger after a day off and I found I could get down l-o-w on my toeside (almost sitting on my back foot)...that really made a difference! Still couldn't get quite as low on my heelside, but got lower than I have before.

My new-found lowness resulted in another happy experience---that weightless feeling on transitions as I sprang up while crossing through, then dropped back down again. I didn't catch any air...but the board definitely felt a lot lighter---very cool! It was just a glimpse...but I saw for the first time how you good guys actually get some air on your transitions.

Hopped on the lift for "last call" at 10pm. When I got to the top, I was hell-bent on having the slope to myself...so I hung out for 5 minutes waiting for the lift to empty out. When it looked like I was the only one left, I headed down...woohoo! What a great feeling having the whole slope to myself! I wasn't laying down on turns, but it was awesome just to be able to make as big, fast turns as I wanted and never once have to worry about who was about to crash into me.

Just before that run, Whitetail turned on the sprinklers. Kinda weird, 'cause they definitely weren't blowing snow. (Cleaning out the jets, maybe?)

It was a great hour of boarding...and the perfect antidote to computer-itis.

Scott

LOL---well, I'm a writer by trade D-Sub...and I type fast---so it's easy for me to bang stuff out. And of course I assume someone gives a sh*t about what I say. :)

Actually, I suppose you could say I'm using this thread as a sort of blog for my first season of learning to carve. Partly for my own benefit...and maybe someone else first starting might enjoy reading the process as I've experienced it.

Scott

Scott, it sounds like you're having a really good time and progressing along quite well. But when you get your alpine gear, I'd suggest travelling that weekend and getting a lesson from a good instructor who knows what they're doing. Before you do ANYTHING else.

I know from experience that you can spend hours, days, months, hacking around by yourself and getting more and more frustrated and no better. Or you can spend a bit of dosh and a couple of hours with an instructor, and be ahead of the game.

I've boarded on and off (very on and off - like 5 days a year, and then three years off) for about six years, and only ever on alpine gear. After moving to Canada and getting 10 days in my first season, and 15 last season, I considered I was finally getting better, but couldn't get the carve thing happening all that well. I got Raichle boots to replace my ski boots at the end of last season, and for the last 3 days I was just at sixes and sevens trying to get the hang of them.

I went to Stratton for the girls session at the beginning of Jan and spent about 1 1/2 hrs with Eric Brammer over 2 days. And that was all it took to take me from screaming frustration to actually carving turns with style. What I learnt in those 2 days has made all the difference to the three days of riding that I've done since, and I feel that as a result I've improved probably 100% from where I was at the end of last season.

I kmow that lots of people will probably back me up on this one. Do it. And soon.

Hi Allee...

I agree 100%! I'd definitely like to take a few lessons w/someone good. I'm just making do with what I have at the moment. I've bought some alpine gear that will hopefully be coming in the next week (though I might be stuck not able to use it unless I can find a SnoPro binding disc...Dan Yoja doesn't have any, and I haven't heard from SnoPro in Germany...)

When it comes to self-learning, I agree it's easy to acquire bad habits. On the other hand, I try to minimize that by always assuming I'm not doing anything right---that way I don't become complacent or think I'm "getting it."

I also tend to experiment so much with different body positions, leans, etc. that I don't get stuck in any one way, and remain open to the complete "makeover" I'll get from a real instructor! :)

Scott

2/5 Report...

Sometimes life gets in the way of things we love. Sometimes what gets in the way are people we love. This happened last night. My girlfriend Holly, who has been progressing really well in her first season of snowboarding, came out with me.

She was enthusiastic, until we took our first run down. I moved ahead and arrived at the lift before she did. Conditions were mediocre (as usual)...a thin glacier of white ice covering the mountain, covered by a dusting of "powder" that was redistributed all night.

At the bottom, Holly was distraught, and began unstrapping both bindings as she said "That was no fun at all. All I did was skid sideways down the mountain." She was pissed. I admitted the conditions weren't great, but gently suggested she try again, that she'd adapt. But no, she just quit. "I'm going to the lodge. You stay and have fun, and I'll see you in a while."

Great. I was excited about a long evening on the slope, but this shot it to pieces. I understood Holly's frustration, but couldn't help be a little irritated she gave up so easily.

I told her I'd do one more run, then quit for the night. It was a depressing lift ride up, particularly when the already-slow lift stopped twice for high school girls getting tangled as they boarded. They all just giggled, thinking they were being very cute.

Near the top of the hill, someone caught my eye getting ready to go down. It was a HARD BOOTER! I could hardly believe my eyes! The first one I'd ever seen at Whitetail! I hustled off the lift and hurried to strap in so I could catch up to him, but he was gone---too much of a head start.

When I got to the bottom, I decided to hang out, hoping this guy had ridden up again and would be coming down eventually. I waited for what seemed like forever (maybe 10-15 minutes), until finally he reached the bottom again.

I ran up and introduced myself. He had a look on his face that seemed to say, "Why is this guy on a freestyle board accosting me?" Then I said "I'm getting some carving gear next week!" That broke the ice, and we chatted for several minutes. His name is Terry, and he's in his second season on carving gear. "Are you familiar with BomberOnline.com?" I asked. "Sort of, but not really," he replied. I encouraged him to sign on to the forum, and said there were a few other people in the area who were hardbooters.

It was tough to restrain myself from dropping to my hands and knees to examine his boots, bindings, and board. I'd never actually seen any carving gear in person---this was the first time! We talked a few more minutes, and I told him I'd definitely be out at Whitetail for practially all next weekend if I could have my carving setup ready by then. I asked Terry if he'd seen any other hard booters at Whitetail. "Two last year, that's it," was his reply.

Meanwhile, Holly was brooding in the lodge, so I had to cut our conversation short to go find her. She was sulking by the window. "I can't believe I'm so condition-intolerant," she mumbled. I just kept quiet. There wasn't anything I could say. It was a long, quiet walk to the truck. "I guess my season's over," she said. "I'll just bring a book the next time." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was terribly disappointing to hear her being so resigned. (Holly is a Captain in the Marines...which made it even more unbelievable.)

I hope I can chalk her frustration up to a bad mood, which will pass. Otherwise, I guess I'm on my own. That's okay, 'cause I don't mind going out by myself. And I hope to connect with some other area carvers soon. In spite of the downer over Holly, I was charged at actually seeing another hardbooter.

Scott

For Gods sake Scott I hope you can get your lady out of this present mode of thinking, as 1 bad day can't be held responsible for this depression.

I can understand Holly's frustration esspecially if she has been doing so well .

Chin up dude and I hope you have both made a new friend in Terry and if he pops up here on the bomber forum I'll he'll be made most welcome as was I when I first joined .

It was tough to restrain myself from dropping to my hands and knees to examine his boots, bindings, and board. I'd never actually seen any carving gear in person---this was the first time!

ahahahah. sorry, I couldn't resist.

Assuming we do get to finally meet/ride this year, it's going to be VERY interesting hahaha. Just give me warning if you are going to run over to me and bow to my holier than thou Burton Alp & Race bindings (and 3/4 season plate career)- I'd like to have this on film! hahaha

JK!

In all seriousness, I know the feeling. I ran up to Vlad last year @ 'Tail and started asking him a million questions, esp. after I saw him ride.

===

Barry

2/5 Report: Iceboarding, anyone?

Went back to Whitetail tonight (it's closer than Liberty or RoundTop, which is why I tend to go there more). I think I'll give 'Tail a break for a while---it pretty much sucked!

Holly relaxed at home tonight with Kate (my 12-year-old daughter) and I was on my own. (No problem there...) It was surprisingly mobbed, average age must have been about 13 or so.

Did 3 runs down Snowpark and left! Conditions were pretty lame. (See my other thread on East Coast boarding.) I accomplished one small goal, though---I brought my rear binding angle up to 45, so I'm now riding F45/R45 (on soft gear!) and honestly, it feels fine---I don't have any problem at all. I'm so used to that it would feel weird going back to a sideways stance.

I think the lame, icy conditions are retarding my progress. On the other hand, I might just be able to be "Swiss Extreme Carver" for a day if I were able to get on some hero snow somewhere. :) (Not really...but man, it would be SO much better!)

I'll have to ask about Liberty and RoundTop, see if their conditions are any better.

Scott

Originally posted by MozzMann

If Scott can gives me the dimenions of the hole placements and the diameter and thickness, I'll try to get some alloy and fabricate them before I fly out next Sat Morning, :) Always keen to help out a carving convert.

Maurie

Thanks Bryan and Mozz...the problem is, Mozz, I won't have the other disc 'til Friday, Feb.11 (which is, I think, the day before you fly out?)

Actually, a local hardbooter (Mark Brown) said he had a pair of F2 CarveRS bindings I could borrow to get started (until I find a SnoPro disc)...so that might work.

I'll still send you dimensions just in case Mozz!

Scott

Scott, perhaps this has been covered already? It might be a good time to hone the tuning skills? Alpine snowboards are a carving tool hense it is key that they be well tuned to work at their best level. You will find that a high percentage of alpine riders tune their own gear or at least understand the "Edge" a fine tune gives their performance. I would seem perhaps out of place to have a west coast rider explaining this to an east coast rider , so forgive me if it seems innappropriate. With all the ice you have to deal with it will be very important that your edges are sharp. When commiting to the edge in a pure carve, we must "Commit" to it , in a sense depending on it fully to support us. It is does not hold , then carving is difficult and not much fun.

I might suggest you make sure the area of edge on your freestyle board is VERY sharp at minimum the distance from binding to binding. Forgive me if you are a good "TUNER" and I have missed these details. Keep of the good work.

PS. Pictures?

Your ski areas? Your current board set up??

You on the hill??

You have brought your experience to us very well

though your writings? A photo or two would be

great. We all live through your efforts and excitement!!

Enjoy. Bryan

Originally posted by www.oldsnowboards.com

Scott, perhaps this has been covered already? It might be a good time to hone the tuning skills? Alpine snowboards are a carving tool hense it is key that they be well tuned to work at their best level. You will find that a high percentage of alpine riders tune their own gear or at least understand the "Edge" a fine tune gives their performance. I would seem perhaps out of place to have a west coast rider explaining this to an east coast rider , so forgive me if it seems innappropriate. With all the ice you have to deal with it will be very important that your edges are sharp. When commiting to the edge in a pure carve, we must "Commit" to it , in a sense depending on it fully to support us. It is does not hold , then carving is difficult and not much fun.

I might suggest you make sure the area of edge on your freestyle board is VERY sharp at minimum the distance from binding to binding. Forgive me if you are a good "TUNER" and I have missed these details. Keep of the good work.

PS. Pictures?

Your ski areas? Your current board set up??

You on the hill??

You have brought your experience to us very well

though your writings? A photo or two would be

great. We all live through your efforts and excitement!!

Enjoy. Bryan

You're right Bryan...I do need to get some photos/video of my efforts. It's been hard 'til now 'cause I've pretty much been going it alone---and at night! (Not the best for photography...) But I'll definitely be out during the day this weekend (hopefully on that carving gear) and see if Holly can get some video. It might be entertaining for everyone to witness my first-ever trip down the green slope on a hard setup. :)

Scott