Note to New Members ×

3D printed Toe Bail Screws

ti_knee

Hopefully this isn't too off topic.... I am teaching 3D CAD at my school, and designed and printed some toe bail screws for my Sidewinders (sold to me missing them). 

I ran them through a die today to smooth out the threads and will post some pics installed tonight if they work. The hex key is a bit snug, but works too.

If anybody has a printer and wants to try printing them out, PM me for the files. 

Any other parts (non-load bearing until I get some nylon going) that would be useful? 

2vkc1oo.jpg

post-3611-0-17652200-1418922807_thumb.jp

Thanks for the replies. They screwed in perfectly, but are a bit long, so I'll try again tomorrow. 

No McMaster Carr here, but I did use their website for the hardware dimensions and the thread pitch, etc... I think I improved on the originals with the wider base too. I recall seeing a few pairs of boots where that spot on the toe was getting a bit worn. 

The cost of the plastic was less than 10 cents... printer a lot more, but I didn't have to pay for that! I'd never buy one for home use. It's way too finicky and the design, setup, and printing takes forever. No ABS because it's sitting in a classroom with virtually no air circulation and no fume hood or anything. It's PLA plastic, which probably won't hold up that well, but it's not a load-bearing part in any way. ABS would be good and Nylon would be probably even better for this kind of part.

John, I totally get your point for home use, but in the school it's been pretty cool. After the kids got over making their iPhone cases, and silly things like dinosaur tooth models, we have been making scale model bridges to test out truss designs, will be printing molds for lenses for a light and optics unit etc... The kids in my CAD class are using some of the Autodesk software and are getting pretty skilled. 

I honestly can't see anything as complex as a boot or mold for one printing out nicely. It's certainly not impossible. If I were to undertake that, I'd want a pretty big printer and I'd use two print heads, one printing the boot material and another printing support material that would dissolve away after. 

Update, printed some shorter ones, ran them through the tap, and installed. The fit is decidedly un-snug, so I got them where I wanted and added a few drops of superglue. 

I think the ramps would work fine, just done in a different material... This PLA is really brittle and doesn't play too nicely with water. 

post-3611-0-93539900-1419289545_thumb.jp

post-3611-0-89110300-1419289550_thumb.jp

Edited by ti_knee

You're getting way better results than my mendel max 1.5.  A part that small is just wasted effort on my machine.  I do not have the time right now to be fiddling with the darn thing.  It seems to me that the technology is basically something with potential, but more of a paperweight that occupies way more time than necessary to create something usable.

My cheap CNCmogul router is far more reliable and predictable than the printer and can create a structural and usable part in a fraction of the time.  The screw, however, is beyond it's capabilities.

I'm very curious about the new dremel machine, and HP claims to be releasing something that is currently 6 times faster than any machine currently available.  Their release date is 2 years out though.