Note to New Members ×

Camelback Mountain 2014-2015

• 1 month later...

Friday was pretty good, for the time of year. More trails open than usual, and decent grooming (on the parts of the trails they had enough snow on to groom, that is). They made a lot of snow over the weekend. I guess it didn't get cold enough overnight for Monday to be good. Soft and bumpy. Fun, anyway. It started to get really busy around 11:30 so I left.

How has Blue been?

• 2 weeks later...

Blue was good the couple of times I went up. Early morning riding on Mile was the best it could be for this time of year. Just got back from Stratton dealing with rain on Sunday morning (day turned out to be great), sheet of ice on Monday and Tuesday was fast but able to dig in some nice lines. Looks like this weekend will be a washout for PA and most of the northeast. Might try Blue on Saturday morning. 

Reasonable conditions Tuesday given the past week or so of nasty weather. Lots of snow being made, most runs covered or getting there. Raceway was pretty well covered. Soft and slow (not sugary) with much faster material (ice, I hear) a few inches below. So when you get up on edge you feel a lot less drag. Almost enough to not have to worry about straightliners!

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice conditions lately. Best this season, and this season has been good overall -- better temperatures overnight and smooth grooming (none of the ravines, missed patches, or other surprises I got used to last season; a few rocks before the recent snow is all I can complain about).

Tomorrow morning is supposed to be cold. Maybe that will keep the kooks away for a while? I may try to take advantage of that Anyone heading up tomorrow AM?

Got lots of interest in my setup today, way more than usual. Even a "does that split in two?" I was riding a 185 Scott Strike, 19 cm waist... into two what? GS race skis? I suppose it's the plate bindings.

Pretty nice conditions lately. Softer than I'd like, the kind where you slow down more than you'd expect in a turn. That means straightliners have the advantage, and that scares me. Surprising with the temperature fluctuations -- I expected the perma-groom of the week before.

They're still making snow. Very good coverage -- no rocks lately. My boards are pleased.

Really good conditions yesterday. My favorite runs were remarkably empty, and the Friday "yee-haw" wack factor was way down. Two reasons I can think of: 1) low temperature and forecasts of negative one billion freeze factor scared the less committed away 2) apparently an accident getting into the lot caused a huge backup. Faster than it has been, super firm and grip that never ends. No rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding conditions continue. Nuff said.

Lots of interest in alpine gear recently. Every single trip up the lift there are questions. Quite a few recognize the gear, others wonder if it's "old-school" and think that's cool (Burton FP or Oxygen Proton from 2001 so I can't really say it's not old school, but I don't think we have the same idea for what that means...). But for every question or comment there are three or four gaping looks. Kids especially, as they always have their eye out for things that look fast or sleek or just different.

New snow and uphill wind made for low speeds Monday. I wound up riding the runs I normally avoid: Nile Mile, Cliffhanger, Pharoah (pretty nice!), Hump. The conditions made it pretty much impossible for a straightliner to catch up within a few turns (in fact, due to various factors, they simply couldn't catch up period).

Hump (single black) is much gnarlier than Cliffhanger (double black). Neither were the least bit gnarly Monday.

Beat my knee up sumpin fierce in the soft snow.

Tuesday was faster, super-grippy, pretty smooth, no uphill wind, just incredibly flat light. I kept getting disoriented in a turn: where is the snow, exactly? A few unexpected airs from grooming lapses. Very nice but by noon I was getting sloppy and packed it in.

Hoping tomorrow is good. It's looking to be a "bring the whole quiver" day.

Anyone going to observe Daylight Savings tomorrow morning at Camelback?

Friday was very nice, very fast due to the overnight negative temperature. It got crowded judging by how many parking lots were filling up, but Rhododendron Glen stayed nice and empty.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the morning at Camelback as it looked as if the temperatures in the 20s would make the snow good and stiff.  The mountain was empty.  So many runs before noon that my legs started cramping.  Tomorrow looks like it will be good also if anyone was considering going.  Definitly the last weekend for good carving on Raceway.  Then, golf.

It was nice Sunday. I left at 1 but it was still good on my favorite runs. It got pretty sloppy on the way there, though. Pretty empty until 11 or so. Never more than one chair's worth wait, and Raceway and especially Rhododendron Glen were very open the whole time. I regret missing Saturday!

Looks like a few days coming up with overnight temps in the 20s, fingers crossed. 

pmorita, how often do you get to Camelback? Have you seen their season pass deal (ends tomorrow but they have in the past extended it until around Thanksgiving or so)?

Hi Teach,

Camelback twice a year or so.  Will probably go more often now that I see how nice it has been, and now that there is an indoor waterpark.  I'm on Long Island and have been frequenting Hunter/Windham as the kids like the outdoor pool at the condos.  I'll look for a post next season so maybe we can get a group together.  I get lonely with no one to chase.