Note to New Members ×

Big Sky?

I think that Big Sky is on par with Aspen for carving. Super wide groomers, no crowds and plenty of sunshine. I think the town of Gallatin is about 7 miles away, you might want to look into rentals there. However, Bozeman has a lot more going on and being a college town, would have a lot more rental choices. I subscribed to the local paper for about a year after I went to Big Sky and was considering a move there.

Thanks. Even though I would like the amenities of a big town, the distance from Big Sky to Bozeman is something like 43 miles, which is too far for a daily riding commute. Gallatin Gateway is marginally closer, but still plenty far. I suppose I'd have to live right in Big Sky proper. I recall driving down the highway from Bozeman to Cody back in 2007 but remember only the beauty and the remoteness. This was back before I ever got on a snowboard, so making a stop in Big Sky wasn't on the list of priorities then.

I looked around online to scope out rentals, but didn't find much. I tried the Bozeman Craigslist, The Bozeman Daily Chronicle, and The Lone Peak Lookout. Are there any others?

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody know how Big Sky is for carving? Are there any reasonably-priced places to rent close by, or does one have to live in Bozeman and commute?

I've had some pretty good carving days at Big Sky. There don't seem to be many local hardbooters, though. So watch your back. The groomed runs off the Ramcharger chair offer the most carving. A lot of the other stuff over toward Moonlight basin and including Moonlight basin itself doesn't offer enough consistent pitch, but the stuff on the front of Ramcharger and the other lifts behind it have pretty good wide open groomers.

I think it's too far from Bozeman for a daily commute, and unfortunately the chances of finding a reasonably priced rental nearby are probably low. I bet there's too much demand for short-term condo rentals to expect a long-term rental to be cheap.

I have a Sky Card and was hoping to hit it some for the first and last week of the season. Thanksgiving plans have nixed the first weekend now, but closing weekend is still likely and maybe a couple others during the season. Look for dredman and I to be carving in colorful onsies.

I visited a number of property management businesses in Big Sky today and all of them told me that season-long rentals are tough to find. Housing is so difficult here that the resort is supposedly putting up seasonal employees in Bozeman or West Yellowstone hotels and busing them to work. This is slightly bumming news, but I think I could find something if I start looking around very early. I've got plenty of time.

In other news, Bowhunting on Rollerblades is a Real Thing.

• 2 months later...

Big Sky is one of the very few great Ski areas that is somewhat available and affordable for the common man, and you don't get much commoner than me.  Prices have doubled since I bought mine, but you can still get a Ski-in short walk to the shuttle for about $160,000.  2 Bedroom  2 Bath, 783 square feet with low taxes and low HOA fees, and we're high with the base at 7500 ft..  Would love to see a couple more hardboots up there.  Right now there's really only 2 of us.

So Bumpy, how would you characterize snowmaking at Big Sky?  Would you say that they are able to open carveable groomers during the worst of low-precip conditions as long as it is cold enough to make snow?  When I visted in mid-November it seemed like they were doing a good job, but I have no idea which trails have snowmaking and how extensive the system is.

How often do you travel from Tacoma to ride there?

• 1 month later...

So Bumpy, how would you characterize snowmaking at Big Sky?  Would you say that they are able to open carveable groomers during the worst of low-precip conditions as long as it is cold enough to make snow?  When I visted in mid-November it seemed like they were doing a good job, but I have no idea which trails have snowmaking and how extensive the system is.

How often do you travel from Tacoma to ride there?

Sorry, this is the first time that I've checked back on this ride board.

I've never been here before the first of Feb. to ski.  We rent out our condo till the first of Feb.  We come out during the summer and then finish off the ski season here, so I can only rely on what friends tell us about the early season.  I guess it was spotty during Thanksgiving with only a couple of runs open.  It snowed during Christmas and so it was decent.  The upper mountain was spotty and not worth doing the Gondola.  

Currently the conditions are pretty decent.  The groomers are fine to very good.  The Glades are very good to even better.  They have cut in 4 new glades this year and 2 are Blue Runs.  Fun and fast without overwhelming bumps.  Can thread your way down them at a pretty good clip.  The other 2 glades that have opened are Blue to Black depending on where you are on the run, but tons of fun.

There's several good, wide carving runs,  about 14 or 15 that I can think of.  The great thing about Big Sky is the lack of crowds, so you can almost always get on the groomers without a traffic jam.  Lift lines are next to non-existent.

The off piste is spectacular.  Lots of really steep and lots of great bump runs, and we have snow!

As far as I know there's only 2 of us hardbooters that are on the mountain.  I occasionally see 1 or 2 every couple of weeks.  I obviously get questions, but can't seem to get anyone to follow through with trying it out.  

If you're looking at renting, try VRBO and type in Big Sky Montana, Cedar Creek.  That's where the affordable condos are.  2 Bedroom, 2 Full Bath, Full Kitchens, Ski In, but  Ski out is a long block to the shuttle that runs every couple of minutes, or wait for the shuttle at the edge of the property.  My wife and I walk every day.  It takes about 4 minutes from out door.  Should be able to find something for about $150 a night, that isn't on Christmas or Presidents day or the last week of the season.  This is a nice complex and well maintained.

As for me, you can contact me, and I'll show you around, but I am usually off piste and still in Hardboots and Plates.  I like bumps.

Thanks much.  If I do go there it will be for an entire season, so I'll need to find a rental for the entire period.  Snowmaking, grooming and no big crowds are pretty much my top requirements, so Big Sky is looking pretty good so far.  I might PM you about some other questions.

Feel free to PM.  There are full seasons rentals available at Cedar Creek, but you will have to book early in the year.  I can help out with you finding something as a fellow member of the board has most of that info.

Thanks much.  If I do go there it will be for an entire season, so I'll need to find a rental for the entire period.  Snowmaking, grooming and no big crowds are pretty much my top requirements, so Big Sky is looking pretty good so far.  I might PM you about some other questions.

Season's passes are about $1100 in the spring.  Daily passes are $103.

• 4 weeks later...

3/29/2015.  We went out today, not expecting to have much fun, BUT, the afternoon was pretty fabulous.  Lot's of runs in.  Morning chop, but the afternoon had some of the best rides of the year.  There are bare patches, but avoidable.  Overall a very good day.