Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Ride Board 2014-2015

Optimism is over for the season... Damage control is in effect.

I see rain in the forecast for PDX and Meadows this Wed/Thurs. maybe again on Sat/Sun... If any of that is snow that adds to a base, then maybe I'll consider a spring pass. Otherwise... I'll hold out hope for next year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean to tell me the guy from Hawaii got more days than you?

I did 12 days and 1 night.

Dang! Did anyone ever tell you that you know how to hurt a guy? :)

But yeah, I guess that's where I'm at: I'm at 7 days now, and I don't really think that six or seven more are in the cards, unless we get an amazing late March. Are you going to make it out to Schweitzer next winter? 

Is there snow on Mauna Kea right now? If I head out to ride that, it would be pretty much the best conditions I've seen all season...

Dang! Did anyone ever tell you that you know how to hurt a guy? :)

But yeah, I guess that's where I'm at: I'm at 7 days now, and I don't really think that six or seven more are in the cards, unless we get an amazing late March. Are you going to make it out to Schweitzer next winter? 

Is there snow on Mauna Kea right now? If I head out to ride that, it would be pretty much the best conditions I've seen all season...

I'll have to wait and see what my travel agent says about Schweitzer.

There's snow on Mauna Kea but you're gonna have to sacrifice some ptex to ride it.

post-673-0-59072200-1425961105_thumb.jpg

Photographers at Big Sky are good.

Well, I'm fresh out of optimism for the rest of the season. I'd love to be wrong though; is anyone still holding out hope for more snow in March? 

Hmm...my optimism is making a cautious return. Hoping that we actually get something close to what's being forecast for today / tomorrow. 

Hmm...my optimism is making a cautious return. Hoping that we actually get something close to what's being forecast for today / tomorrow. 

The forecasts have been overly optimist and results have been under delivering,  let's hope that we get some depth on this storm.  I agree , it does look promising.  Spring vacation and all , it is about as good as we have gotten for months.  Bachelor looks even better!!

• Like 1

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so hope that I am posting this in the correct place and with proper ettiquitte.

I wanted to introduce myself, I am new to the Bomber Online forums.

TL;DR: I am in Portland, looking for hardboot friends/carpool on Mt. Hood

Longer:

I grew up in CO, started snowboarding in the late 80's, and was introduced to hardboot/carving by my snowboard instructor cousins who were all in plate setups up on Aspen Highlands. It was soooo fun. I kept it up through college all over Summit county then moved to the PNW in 2001. Since I moved, until this season, I have not had the opportunity to go snowboarding but this year got a pass to Meadows and have been going up by myself this year after nearly a decade and a half off of the snow.

Coming back into it, I feel pretty novice again. I can once in a while get into the groove but also feel bad technique and habits manifesting themselves. I keep looking for other hardbooters whenever I'm up there and the Meadows lifties tell me there are a few others but I've only once, from the lift, seen another one and then never saw them again. 

I really want to find other alpine snowboarders who could even take a run or two with me and give me feedback and constructive critisism...so far I'm DIY learning again but there's nothing like getting feedback from another human being.

I'm also still using my equipment from college which I lugged up on a plane. I'm aware it's over 15 years old...and I also discovered my boots were way too big...and I'm not sure how to dial down stance...

Suffice to say, I feel like a total beginner again and am the living embodiment of a time warp with my old gear and poor technique. I did a fun race on Saturday and yeah it is pretty evident I have a long way to go </loud skidding noises>

However I have still been having a blast. I've been getting made fun of for choosing this year to buy a season pass but honestly I missed the snow so much and just feel lucky to even be up on the mountain. 

So, I am looking for any Mt Hood hardboot friends, especially who could advise a rookie such as myself. 

I found BOL searching for advice on carving and anyone who was an alpine snowboarder on Mt. Hood. I would love to meet anyone who's out, and trust me, if I see another hardbooter on the mountain, I am chasing them down for a conversation (or rather more likely waiting for them at the bottom of the lift as they lap me)! It would also be fun to geek out on stuff with someone other than my cat.

I also probably stupidly got a spring pass to Timberline. But I think I can get 2 days out of it anyway. I work in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays so often go up M, W, or F. I drive from N Portland and am happy to carpool.

Anyway, hello. I am glad to have found Bomber Online. Is this the right place for me to post? Thank you.

skjalf, Welcome to BOL!!!  I live in Vancouver and would be happy to help you get things going again.

Good News - Bad News.   You picked the worst season in my history of 30 years to come back :( The Good News is

it is very rare to have such a poor season. There are about a half dozen alpine riders at Mt Hood Meadows.

We have been spoiled over the years and conditions have not been all that attractive.  Some move away or

stop alpine , others move in.  I welcome you again and we will talk soon. I believe I sent you a PM a few days ago.  

I will send you my email address via the PM system.  I can help with equipment too.

Bryan  

The forecasts have been overly optimist and results have been under delivering,  let's hope that we get some depth on this storm.  I agree , it does look promising.  Spring vacation and all , it is about as good as we have gotten for months.  Bachelor looks even better!!

I was up on Sunday afternoon.  The base was a mix of snow and rain at noon...  and the 20" base was more like 2"...  it was a very sad looking.  So, this might be a typical spring storm?... but it is far less snow than they really need?

That said, I may try and ride at least once this week?  Anyone else heading up?  Wednesday may be good, before the next rain hits?

skjalf,

Welcome to the forum!

You are in the right place...  

The best part of being a hard booter is the instant kinship with other hard booters...   

I was also returning into service with old boards...  Which worked great...  But the design of the new boards will really blow your mind.  Get your legs back, and start saving for some new boots, then a new board...

cool,

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so hope that I am posting this in the correct place and with proper ettiquitte.

I wanted to introduce myself, I am new to the Bomber Online forums.

TL;DR: I am in Portland, looking for hardboot friends/carpool on Mt. Hood

Anyway, hello. I am glad to have found Bomber Online. Is this the right place for me to post? Thank you.

Welcome! I'd say you found the right place to post.

I am primarily a weekend warrior, and opted not to buy a season pass this year (just dumb luck - I thought I was going to do a lot of skinning with my dog), but now that it's looking like there might be some snow up there, I may jump in on a spring pass. 

I've been hardbooting since about 2000, with some missed or low-day seasons here and there. Terminal intermediate until the last two years or so, when things have finally started to come together for me. Not so sure that I can give useful pointers, but always nice to hook up and ride with another carver. 

Generally I will post here the day before I head up...you should do the same!

-Dan

I never made it up higher than base... I was with my 3 yr old...

I saw photos from Grant that made Cascade look like it was doing better.

Have you seen how and where the new Cascade freestyle park sits?...  they might be eating into valuable carvable space?