Note to New Members ×

Yupper News: Indianhead and Blackjack Ski Resorts have merged.

Algunderfoot

Blackjack and Indianhead will be merging to offer over 300 acres of skiing and boarding this winter? Interchangeable ticket will give you access to more than 50 wide open, heart pounding trails! Gonna be BIG as in Big Snow Country, not altitude....but exciting for the future of these resorts, Gogebic County, MI, and Beth & I.

www.indianheadmtn.com

www.skiblackjack.com

Edited by Algunderfoot

• 3 months later...

U.P. getting hammered with lake effect snow, Indianhead reports over 42" in the past 3 days and another 18" in the forecast, but they aren't opening until Nov 28th. I bought a 5 pack ticket last spring and definitely plan a trip or two to the U.P. this year.

So Al, I know you like Blackjack for pow days and Indianhead for carving days, what's your opinion of Big Powderhorn?

I grew up in that area. I would skip Big Powderhorn for carving. All the trails merge and are off camber. So your toe side is higher than your heal side, or vice versa. The posts from my friends that live up there are pretty unreal. Last year at Christmas Mt Bohemia had the most amount of snow in North America, I am guessing this year will be the same.

Thanks for the input Eric, I've only ridden at Indianhead because the guys that turned me on to carving always rode there. A few years ago I went up to Bohemia, stopping at Indianhead and the Porkies on the way, a trip I hope to do again this year before Superior freezes over and shuts down the lake effect snow. I love how much snow they get up there and I think I've finally got a set-up that I like for the deep stuff.

Fascinating (for weather geeks) time lapse of lake effect snow fall over past 2 weeks (doesn't get interesting til the past week). You can see the typical pattern that sets up for lots of snow on the south and east shores from NW winds:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/js_animate.html?year=2014&month=11&day=14&type=ruc_snow_precip&region=Northern_Great_Lakes

nsm_depth_2013122505_Northern_Great_Lakes.jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

• 1 month later...

2015 January trip to U.P.?

Russ (rwmaron) and I were talking about this last week, and Eric (thebionicman) is planning a U.P. trip too. I'm wondering if anyone else is planning a U.P. trip? Thought it could be fun to try to coordinate plans and possibly get a flight of carvers on the hills.

Indianhead is open daily, Blackjack and Porkies open only F-S-S-M.

I'm thinking either a midweek trip--maybe 2 days at Indianhead, or something like Th-F-S--1st 2 days at Indianhead (Friday has option to hop over to Blackjack), then maybe check out the Porkies on Saturday. Not over the MLK weekend, 17-18-19.

Lake effect is kicking in again, so snow should be great!

:eplus2: And we can all stay at Al's place in Bessemer, right? :eek:

Just got back from 14days inda UP and da snow der is getting Purdy good, ya you betcha! :ph34r:

Sorry I hadn't gotten back to this thread, I was beating new hip joints into submission. Powderhorn is a waste of time for many reasons, which I will share in person. It may not even survive the season, but we hope it does, if only to keep the Chi-town B-liners off Indainhead and Blackjack. carving can be good at BJ too, once they have a 4-5 foot base to pack in the logging roads and craters. It does have double fall lines on many runs, but that can be fun on the right day too. They have a shuttle now running between hills, so while 2-3 carvers can track out Indianhead in a matter of hours, both hills could be trenched in days work.

I will up there every weekend except Jan 24-25, during SES Feb 7-14th, another unscheduled weekend in Feb-Mar and Apr 11-12. Our place is small, especially with Beth and I, her two dogs and our 16 boards, but the futon in the spare bedroom sleeps one or a couple. Otherwise my friends Donna and Mike own the Travelers Motel in Bessemer, clean, quiet and reasonable old school roadway motel. I always stayed there before we bought our place. Or you could but the place 2 doors down, currently asking $23K, putting your taxes around $325.

Just call or text me at four one four  eight zero seven  five seven six one.

Cheers!

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Friday Jan 23

Woke up to a light coating of freezing rain and overcast. Indianhead was re-grooming the icy crust, but with lots of weekend folks arriving, in addition to the less desirable conditions, we decided it wasn't worth spoiling the memory of a near perfect day yesterday. 

Looking to the north I could see a break in the clouds over Lake Superior, so I decided to drive up to the Porkies and lucked out with bright sun for a few hours. Only about 10 cars in the lot, $27 afternoon ticket, icy crust on the top half , but surfy soft on the lower half, and as it warmed up the snow softened higher up the hill.  It was fun enough that I stayed for 3 hours, plus you can't beat the view...

post-2809-0-42671300-1422080911_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-13215800-1422080942_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-28540200-1422081188_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Shots from first run today at Indianhead, like Spirit Mt, you can make first tracks from the top before the chair is running. Clear blue sky from the start, snow was like Aspen 3rd day groom, literally "packed powder".

Went over to check out  Blackjack after lunch. About half as many people (10 cars in the lot as opposed to 25 at Indianhead). Blackjack has some really nice terrain, once you get to know it, it's pretty fun. Where Indianhead is really big-carve heaven with waves set in the same direction, wide and smooth, Blackjack has waves coming from more than one direction which makes things challenging, but fun and interesting the more you go down them. Nice variety of pitches at both places.

post-2809-0-79100500-1425357823_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-26515700-1425357844_thumb.jp

post-2809-0-10698000-1425357972_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 1/2 weeks ago (March 3rd post above), I had one of the best days on snow this year. After a week of freeze/thaw temps, conditions are morphing into classic granular/corn snow. Started out below freezing yesterday on variable consistency groom (soft to hard) and flat light, but after about an hour or so the sun started softening the snow and each run got better and better. About 4-5 inches of granular over a hard base layer gave a surfy feel with enough grip for aggressive carves, but required good form.

Had to watch out for one brown spot just out of sight over the knoll at the bottom of Chippewa.

Although we tried to espouse the aesthetics of carving and the tracks we left behind to other skiers, by the end of the day we had to admit that we had butchered the hill!  Satisfied with ourselves and a day well spent.   

Hopefully Russ got some decent photos to post.

Edited by bigwavedave

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty dang good day, one of the better days of the season. 5" new snow over the past few days along with colder temps provided the recipe for near perfect firm packed powder, with no ice base!. Not too crowded for a weekend, no lift lines. Everything from Voyagers to FIS was groomed.

Rode the Coiler Revelation from 9-1 then went over to Blackjack and found Al and Beth there. Took a few runs, snow was getting soft and I was feeling tired. Felt like a good end to the season. Indianhead closes after tomorrow, Blackjack open another week.

post-2809-0-77509500-1427601409_thumb.jppost-2809-0-33014500-1427601709_thumb.jppost-2809-0-41664200-1427601860_thumb.jp Picked up a 4 pack on sale for next year. Some of the best carving days have been at Indainhead!

Edited by bigwavedave

....or two, conditions permitting.

With the exception of SES, all of my best carving days are at Indianhead or Blackjack. Already looking forward to next season! Hopefully with more Carvers than just Beth & I.

Have a good, short Summer Dave!