Note to New Members ×

Experiments in boot, binding & plate setup

SunSurfer

Just back on the snow after 18 months off due to injury. First day out I’m riding lower and cleaner than ever before and getting unsolicited feedback from skiers that I’m making quite an impression.

Over the time off I’ve thought long and hard about my setup, and posted a few threads about my ideas. That first day was the result of putting it all together.

The central idea is that alpine boarding is front foot dominated. More of the weight, as the carve is initiated and held, is on the front foot. Precise pressure control for the front foot is crucial to good carving. The less slop in the system under the front foot the better the feel for the board edge.

New Setup

1/ Front boot locked in standard riding postion, rear boot max looseness Blue BTS. Boots are HSPs with firm grey tongue on front, and soft yellow tongue on rear.

2/ Front binding positioned so that the centre of the ball of my front foot is just behind the front axle on my isocline plate. My boot centre to centre ball of big toe is approx. 7cm.

3/ Front axle is now the fixed, non-sliding axle.

The combination has given me real confidence to downweight onto my downhill edge at the beginning of the carve, while allowing me to get my body position low. My feel for that new carving edge seems more solid, more certain than I remember with my old setup.

Old setup

1/ Blue BTS front & rear, firmer at front and slightly preloaded forward on the rear.

2/ Plate axles at max distance apart, 62cm on a Bomber plate, and my bindings 50cm C-to-C and centred on the plate.

3/ Front plate axle was the sliding axle.

Whatever the reason, I’m riding better than ever, when by rights I should be playing catchup to get back to where I was.

If you have a plate and BTS already then trying what I’ve done will cost you nothing but a little time to set it up.

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever the reason, I'm riding better than ever, when by rights I should be playing catchup to get back to where I was.

"Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to never was there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it."

FLANNERY O'CONNOR, Wise Blood

Your forced holiday was 'neuromuscular sorbet'. Absent repetition/reinforcement, the stuff you don't need withers and falls away, clearing a path for new discoveries.

Keep at it, and you'll begin to weave an endless string of 'Manx Moments'.

Riding at Cardrona last couple of days.

One of my experiments was run today.

Tried 10 degree heel lift on rear foot (extra 4 degree wedge under 6 degree TD3, Bomber 4mm plate, 4x4 mount, on a Coiler 177 AMW, WCC, 7.6 ).

No particular issues with using that much lift but no obvious benefit to me either. Able to get perfectly adequate rear knee bend to get low with the normal 6 degrees.

The riding has been great, fine weather, good snow for carving, and a few carving mates to ride with.

Yesterday spent much of the day riding with Isamu Kubo, Japanese snowboard school principal and frequent photographer of Sigi Grabner, plus a run with Jamie, a New Zealand carver.

Today caught up with Nigel Clarke, who posts here from time to time.

Video will get uploaded when I get home and aren't dependent on lodging broadband.

In a range of places I'd also posted about an experimental setup trialling a plated snowboard with the feet essentially in line with the long axis of the board but offset to either side of the midline. The plan had been to try it with, and without poles. I had hoped for a more stable balance setup than you get with a skwal.

Experiment result - a dismal failure as a ride, would only really turn in the direction of the side the front foot was on. Gave me some insights as to the dominance of the front foot, especially at low speeds. Like all experiments, no matter the result, you get new insights into how things work and more questions to try to find the answer to.

hm. has anyone built/used an isocline style isolation plate for a skwal?
Not likely to do it myself anytime soon since I am still recovering from badly torn hamstring that I blame squarely on my overconfidence with my sqwal last season. No fall, no crash, just pushing too hard when I should have taken it easier. Safe to say I'm not quite as enthusiastic for the upcoming season as I have been in previous years. I can see some advantages for a plate on a skwal but in my experience to date they do power through the snow easier than a snowboard so the advantages may not be quite as evident as demonstrated on a snowboard.

It was great to catch up with you Allan. I haven't seen you ride for a few years now and I am impressed with the progress you have made - proper toeside angulation and pencil thin trenches. I cant tell if that's due to set-up or technique and I guess whatever works is good - there is a definite and clear improvement

Needless to say my set-up is totally different!:confused: