Note to New Members ×

Good Epoxy for Fixing Nose Edge Ptex Delam

eastcoasticerider

I'd ask an expert e.g. ask Sean from Donek; as a boatbuilder I would personally use a resin that can flex such as west system gflex; plexus or sparbond; the key will be keying up the surfaces etc but only a board builder can tell u about that. Also these are epoxy glues, which have up to 50X the holding power of normal epoxy resin, and can grasp a surface like ptex maybe better than a straight epoxy resin could. A typical epoxy resin is quite brittle, which is why we don't use it for things like gluing masts on a boat, if you use in on the nose of the board, probably it's ok, but again, ask an expert.

All these brands I guess someone like west marine might sell; you should check though cure temperatures and time as epoxy goes off slowly. mix it precisely and thoroughly, and wear gloves, epoxy is nasty stuff. Have plenty of ability to clean up the bit squeezed out (you only need a small amount but it needs to be thoroughly inserted) as you don't want to be cleaning epoxy off once it is cured.

Brown packing tape epoxy does not adher to so you can tape things up where you don't want the resin to go. With gravity naturally it will flow and drip all over the place if you are not careful, even the glues (which are less runny) as they have a reasonable cure time.

I have a really fun Prior custom short board that is delaminating around the front nose edge. Does anyone know a good epoxy brand that will hold the ptex ...:D

Devcon 2 ton epoxy will work fine. If you cant get the epoxy into the delam deep enough, use a syringe or slightly heat the epoxy to a liquid state and allow it to roll in. Clamp well, wipe excess epoxy and let sit to cure.

I agree. Sean or Bruce are the ones to ask. The p-tex base is polyethylene (I think). This is very hard to get any adhesive to bond to. Also, epoxy is rigid where the p-tex is flexible. Riding the board will likely cause it to crack.

Good luck.

Coiler uses West System epoxy. It's a tip repair easily accessable .Clean it well dental pic may be useful to extract particles that may be difficult to reach. Too much hardener will make it more brittle so pay attention to mixing. Roughing up both surfaces with the pic will provide a nice rough surface which will give a stronger bond than a very smooth surface. Use small blocks of wood with clamps to prevent damage to board surface. Longer curing time usually means a stronger bond. Good Luck !