Note to New Members ×

How to quickly remove your helmet cam (aka 30 sec crash vid)

Tugboater

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/27327309" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="281" width="500"></iframe>

Glad to see you were OK.

Not often we see & hear raw action cam video. The roar from the standard mike at almost any speed is usually quite unpleasant.

I modified my Contour to have an external mike mono socket (cheap lavalier mike from budget electronics store) which I mount on the back of my helmet with a dead cat wind shield.

The video demonstrates the sound I got as a result. To my ears it's not far from what I actually hear as I ride, right down to the scuffed turn of the snowboarder I pass and the snow guns roaring away.

Some of the later Contours actually have an external mike socket fitted.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4FlbI3eoMPI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6r-35GF40Bo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

This is as good as any of the instructional videos out there. These how to and result videos are from the same guy.

To install my external 3.5mm socket I cut & rejoined the wires rather than soldering to the circuit board. Used some bathroom sealant to seal the exit hole at the end to make it more weather proof.

The real trick is finding a place for external mike that is out of the direct head on airflow or any other seriously turbulent airflow. The bike vid above comments on YouTube say that he mounted his mike at the back of the bike under the rear seat.

Edited by SunSurfer