Note to New Members ×

Recommendations from women

grayontray

Hiho, all:

I am looking to add another board to my quiver of two. I have a beautiful Arbor woodie that I rode before I tried hardbooting. Will never give it up but rarely ride it. My alpine board is a 157cm Nale (Elan's snowboard) from a long time ago that I love dearly - very nimble. I am looking for recommendations from other women riders. I am 5'4" 130#, kinda old so not a super aggressive rider but....

If anyone has good suggestions on a board and why they like it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers and thanks.

I love my Coilers! I am a total Coiler girl. Bruce does an amazing job talking to everyone who wants a board and then making something to their specifications. Call him, tell him what you ride, where you ride and what you are looking for and he works magic (or find a previously loved one - that is how I have obtained every Coiler I own). A Classic Coiler was my first board and it is still my go-to board when I am not sure how the conditions will be. It is soft enough that it forgives me 90% of the mess I get into including softer powder days, yet rigid enough to carve hard. It is short and twitchy and a fun ride. My second board is a Custom Coiler with an A-sym core, this one takes a lot more leg to turn and is teaching me a few things.

I rode a Donek for a while as well. They are nice boards, but not as forgiving. You need to be in charge.

There are actually a whole series of posts (started by Two Ravens - I believe she is also based in Idaho) on the board review part of the site called "Princess diaries" where a few of us review several different boards:

Classic Coiler review: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?33721-Princess-Diaries-Chapter-2-Coiler-Classic

Asym review: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?33724-Princess-Diaries-Chapter-4-Coiler-VSR-mid-165

Donek review: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?33722-Princess-Diaries-Chapter-3-Donek-FC-163-Metal&highlight=Princess+Diaries

Coiler Stubbette: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?33720-Princess-Diaries-Chapter-1-Coiler-Stubette

I love my snowboards as well. And sadly I believe that they are no longer made.

The biggest kick in the butt lesson that I have learned is that a board tuned to your weight in combination with your aggressiveness/ride style is a tremendous benefit. If you are looking for an investment, do this and it will serve you well.

Talk to Sean (donek) or Bruce (coiler). They both make incredible boards and will steer you in the right direction with anything that you are unsure of. The newer camber profiles, whether in a metal or glass deck make a huge (super mega happy fun) difference. So much has changed since nale was around and it will be a different ride, but regardless you are in for a lot of fun.

Redundant points (tabatha pretty much said it all):

1. Find or have built to your own weight in combination with your aggressiveness/ride style.

2. Use the info that you already have. If your stance works for you (width and angles) work from that. If you like the waist width of your current nimble ride, use that as a reference point. Is this all a fixed absolute? Heck no, but it's a start.

3. Torsional stiffness. Too little outside of your bindings will result in a board that gives up it's grip too readily. Too stiff in between your bindings and it may not suit your riding style (should you like having a little pedaling action. nice tool to have access to). Bruce and Sean each can address this.

The biggest thing that I have told students this season is that snowboarding is all about you. I have my vantage point, but what works for me may not work best for you (articulating this out loud was the change). Key into whatever it is that you enjoy most and whatever you find necessary. If you like crazy hooky boards that spring you up at the end of a turn then a single radius side cut may be for you in a glass board. If super variable maneuverability everywhere in everything while being relatively easy to ride (ha) is for you, then it starts to become an entirely different equation. Seriously talk to Bruce and/or Sean. They want to build you a snowboard, but above all they want you to end up with the best snowboard for you.

Seriously talk to Bruce and/or Sean. They want to build you a snowboard, but above all they want you to end up with the best snowboard for you.
Very good advice! Try and be able to articulate what exactly you like about your board, and what you think you wouldn't like. It helps them to understand what you are looking for. They know which questions to ask, but it helps if you can give them info as well. :)

Hiho, all:

I am looking to add another board to my quiver of two. I have a beautiful Arbor woodie that I rode before I tried hardbooting. Will never give it up but rarely ride it. My alpine board is a 157cm Nale (Elan's snowboard) from a long time ago that I love dearly - very nimble. I am looking for recommendations from other women riders. I am 5'4" 130#, kinda old so not a super aggressive rider but....

If anyone has good suggestions on a board and why they like it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers and thanks.

So, I'm unclear as to what type of board you want to add to your quiver. An alpine board? An all-mountain board? A free-ride board? What type of riding do you like to do? With so many options available, answering these questions will help lots:)

Excellent! So, start thinking about the properties you want in this alpine board. You mention that you love your Elan, because its nimble...so, something with a smaller SCR maybe.

Ordering a custom board is an excellent choice. Ive done it a few times now, and highly recommend it. I would suggest thinking about all the snowboards you've ridden, and what you liked/didn't like. While many of us here can tell you what WE like, that doesnt mean YOU would like the same thing. Please dont read this as me being flippant, but it is a very personal thing! I think other women here can attest to that. I also love what alpinegirl says above "they want to build

you a snowboard, but above all, they want you to end uo with the best snowboard for you".

• 1 month later...

Hiho, all:

Thanks for all the great replies about a new board for me. Happy to report I bought a 164cm Nidecker Proto from Bryan (Old Snowboarder) and got it in time to ride it the last day of our season. 8 inches of new spring snow - a worry at first. But I had a BLAST. Can't wait til next year. Thanks to Steve (who spotted the sale) and Bryan (for selling it). I am SO happy with it:D

Cheers all. Looking forward to next season.