Note to New Members ×

Whistler this weekend

RideGuy

I'm going on a last minute business trip to Vancouver. I've extended my trip so I'll be in Whistler Friday to Monday. I just learned that this weekend is Family Day for BC so the hills should be jammed, especially Monday.

Can someone recommend some runs that are good for carving? Whistler or Blackcomb? Near the bottom where they've been snow making? Also maybe some runs where I can avoid the crowds?

It's been years since I've been there so any help would be appreciated. I'm taking my Prior FLC.

Thanks,

Paul

The snow is not great, but the clear skies have been spectacular. The only other times I've been to Whistler it's been a total white out and I couldn't see a thing. The views of the last 3 days have been absolutely amazing.

I have not seen any other hard booters. The guys in yellow jackets keep telling me to slow down even though kids are going strait down and passing me like I'm standing still. I guess I just look fast.

Going to for the first tracks breakfast tomorrow.

...The guys in yellow jackets keep telling me to slow down even though kids are going strait down and passing me like I'm standing still. I guess I just look fast.

I think there's a knack to dealing with those guys. it took me a while but they don't bother me at all these days. I just eyeball them directly from a distance and put a few wiggly turns in when they're watching, which seems to keep them calm. If they keep looking, I keep turning, until they're satisfied or I'm bored. Just the fact that you obviously see them is half the issue I think.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am going to be ridng at whistler between wednesday and sunday. Forecast says there will be snow tonight and mayeb again by next saturday. I'm bringing my coiler, an old softboot freeride board and a couple of pow rides thatseldom get use (pow stick and a 3800).

Question- by the time wednesday morning comes and every other morning following, do you guys (those familiar with whistler) think I should go for first tracks on the groomers? Or will there be still stashes of powder to find and ride (and where? Typically, I've been able to find still good pow in the trees - the bowls being tracked out within hours- for a couple of fays after the dumps).

I still less than a half decent carver and want to get as much time in as possible, half the time I've been out on the snow this year has been on skis with my son. But I also enjoy (obviously) the pow and trees.

Suggestions as to plan of attack for this week? And where to ride for what? For carving I guess I'll go where BlueB has suggested.

Thanks

Gerry

So I am going to be ridng at whistler between wednesday and sunday. Forecast says there will be snow tonight and mayeb again by next saturday. I'm bringing my coiler, an old softboot freeride board and a couple of pow rides thatseldom get use (pow stick and a 3800).

Question- by the time wednesday morning comes and every other morning following, do you guys (those familiar with whistler) think I should go for first tracks on the groomers? Or will there be still stashes of powder to find and ride (and where? Typically, I've been able to find still good pow in the trees - the bowls being tracked out within hours- for a couple of fays after the dumps).

I still less than a half decent carver and want to get as much time in as possible, half the time I've been out on the snow this year has been on skis with my son. But I also enjoy (obviously) the pow and trees.

Suggestions as to plan of attack for this week? And where to ride for what? For carving I guess I'll go where BlueB has suggested.

Thanks

Gerry

I am driving up from oregon and will be there also tues thru sat . Wondering what to bring ? Maybe will do cypress thrusday night ? If you want to meet up let me know? Will be riding with a bunch of hawiian softbooter friends .

Bringing , Coiler , volkl bx, tanker 2k, donek split and some xc skiis .

Jim

Hey Jim: yeah i'd like to go riding with another hardbooter for a morning or afternoon (or for a few runs). My buddies that I'll be with are either softbooters or skiers who prefer to stay mostly on the groomers. I'm new at this so it'd be nice to be 'inspired' by a seasoned rider. I'll be in Whistler from Tuesday night right through to Sunday morning - so no Cypress mtn for me. If you're up at Whistler on Friday morning that might work. You can PM me through this site and we can maybe arrange to meet somewhere/sometime (or share whatsapp/bbm details)

Gerry

Wondering what to bring ? Maybe will do cypress thrusday night ? If you want to meet up let me know?

Hi Jim, I'll be up at Cypress, Thursday, 5:30-8pm. Maybe Pat too. I can let you try one, or few, OES boards, if you wish. We had 4' of snow over the last week and 1.5' yesterday!

Conditions will be warm. Luckily, forecast seems to be shifting from rain to dry.