Note to New Members ×

newb saying g'day

land surfer

hello folks

been lurking around here for a bit and finally decided to join the madness... great forum... i m an aussie living near tahoe... long time boarder (91) and into it seriously for the last 12 years or so... been fascinated by alpine boards since i first saw a couple of riders RIPPING in soelden austria in 2005... two weeks ago the wife and i were at grand targhee and i saw another guy laying down some serious tracks... finally realized that i now need to get myself a set up...

anyway... i ve got some reading to do here...

hope your winter is going better than ours here in tahoe..

all the best

land surfer

Welcome to BOL!! There are quite a few members in the Tahoe area. Be sure to check out the "ride board".

Hook up with some members, they will likely be helpful in sorting out what you need to get carving.

Couple suggestions:

Turn on your "PM" (bomber email system in settings)

Know your boot size in "MONDO POINT" .

Let folks know what the budget will allow and you may be surprised how inexpensive it can be to get started.

Start shorter, softer with tighter sidecut.

Let us know your height, weight, where you plan to ride and how aggressive you are.

This will help us find the right starter setup for you. Prepare mentally to be humbled :eplus2:

Welcome to BOL!! There are quite a few members in the Tahoe area. Be sure to check out the "ride board".

Hook up with some members, they will likely be helpful in sorting out what you need to get carving.

Couple suggestions:

Turn on your "PM" (bomber email system in settings)

Know your boot size in "MONDO POINT" .

Let folks know what the budget will allow and you may be surprised how inexpensive it can be to get started.

Start shorter, softer with tighter sidecut.

Let us know your height, weight, where you plan to ride and how aggressive you are.

This will help us find the right starter setup for you. Prepare mentally to be humbled :eplus2:

nice mate.. thanks for the pointers... this website is a great resource... i ll have to see if i can find a few hardbooters in north lake.. don t see too many at my local - sugarbowl..

got my mondo figured... i typically ride a salomon burner 166... with stiff burton diodes and driver x boots... typically some of the stiffest soft booter stuff out there... i m sure these will be like a wet noodle compared to hardboots... i ve always run positive rear binding angles ( 6 - 9 deg) but i must admit the extreme angles of hardboot set up is pretty intimidating for a newb... been riding for a good while... pretty aggressive, been know to run 50 - 60 mph on the garmin... i m 230 lb and 5 11... i was thinking a board of 172 - 175 ?? too big for a green horn hard booter ??

gonna look into some second hand gear - boards and bindings in particular... i feel as if i should sell one of my current decks (4 solids 1 split) to fund this venture but i can t bring myself to let one go !!

cheers

land surfer

Once you get your back foot above 35 degrees you will lose those bail out kick turns you get by bending or extending your rear leg. Get over that and its a quick progression. Many good starter boards here on the classifieds. For sure hook up with a local carver group if you can, that will speed up your progression even more. Try to get some vid for your early riding to compare where you are at the end of the season. Great to look back at your accomplishments.

Welcome Landie....you will find this forum full of great advice, encouragement, good humour, and quick wit. On here there is no such thing as a dumb question. I have learned SO much in a short time, from a combination of "listening in" on threads, asking questions, reading links to other sites (like the Carver's Almanac...some info on equipment a bit outdated now, but the technique sections are still very valid), and watching people's videos. I hope to get to one of the regional Expression Sessions one day.