Note to New Members ×

New to everything

cafe bomber

Hello everybody,

First off, let me start by saying that this is my first post on any sort of forum, so if I broke protocol, I sincerly apologize.

Now that we have the niceties outta the way…I am also brand new to the spectacular world of hard-booting.

I rode a couple of weeks ago on an old Burton m-series, with my ski boots and I had a helluva time trying to do anything. It was pretty discouraging. But today, I had purchased a proper setup (Deeluxe boots,F2 Silberpfeil board)

WOW!!! I freaked right out, this was the most awesome thing that I had ever done, that didn't consist of a motor!!

I knew that I would love hard booting, but I didn't think that it would be this awesome. Why aren't more people doing this? I've seen guys HBing, but not many. And back in the day it seemed like alot of patrollers were doing it….Anyway, I digress…..I would just like to say that this forum is great and there are alot of guys that really know their stuff.

Since, I am a beginner to this sport, what type of instructions are out there? Being in the Laurentians(Quebec), I don't see very many HBers, but the fellows that I have spoken with, have been very helpful and friendly.

Cheers,

Shawn

Welcome ! Lot's to learn here and lots of good people. Check out the Quebec ride thread ( french speaking and bilingual ) and Ottawa guys. In my opinion a very nice group of addicts on this forum !!! Don't be afraid to enable contacts though this forum it is very well moderated.

Shawn,

Welcome to BOL! This really is a great place for info and instructions (even if they're long distance)! Glad to see you got some "proper" equipment, as a lot of the newer stuff is easier to ride! Best advice I can give is to search out anyone in your area who carves and ride, ride, ride... and ride some more! And even try to talk a friend in to joining you! If you can find someone to ride with, it makes it more fun to progress! Instructions and critique are great, but if you don't utilize the assistance by practicing what you've learned, it's hard to progress! Good Luck and Welcome to the Dark Side!

James

Why aren't more people doing this?

Welcome. To answer your question, trying to sell hard booting to a soft booter is like trying to sell a track- prepped Ducati to someone who only rides around town on a Chinese scooter. A board is a board is a board to them, and their style of riding is more about the terrain than the turns. I'm cool with that because they're having fun and it means more groom for me. :)

what type of instructions are out there?

Tech articles on here, and http://www.alpinecarving.com/index.html However, the Almanac is a bit dated in the gear information.

Is it normal to have to hop, to transition from heel to toe?
Answer to your question. No ( You shouldn't have to hop) but if it keeps you out of trouble yes. You can load up your turn for a little more energy with a little hop. Watch some video and as Dusty Bottle said "find some people to ride with". The fact that you still had energy to post after you rode today means your doing something right !

Cafe Bomber.

There's quite a few hardbooters in the Laurentians. Mont Habitant as a good population. Mont Blanc as the biggest one I know of and there also a recurring wednesday or thursday evening event going on at St-Sauveur. On the South shore there the St-Bruno's chapter I like to call :) Redia and his crew are a very generous group. He'll they spent 3 hours getting me started 5 a years ago. If you like extreme Carving they're the ones you want to ride with.

Make sure to drop by the QC ride section of the forum and say hello.

Also make sure to come the Pureboarding's event in Mont Blanc. You'll meet alot of the locals and get free lessons. Dates 1-2 Feburary. We had a blast last year come join us !

If you need an instructor and are willing to pay PM me I'll send you his contact information. He helped me ALOT.

How's your french ?

I rode a couple of weeks ago on an old Burton m-series, with my ski boots and I had a helluva time trying to do anything. It was pretty discouraging. But today, I had purchased a proper setup (Deeluxe boots,F2 Silberpfeil board)

WOW!!! I freaked right out, this was the most awesome thing that I had ever done, that didn't consist of a motor!!

I knew that I would love hard booting, but I didn't think that it would be this awesome. Why aren't more people doing this?

Welcome! And you answered your own question - most people who get so far as to actually try hardbooting cobble together some gear that doesn't fit or isn't well suited and stop after a discouraging experience. Glad you persisted and got some good gear!!! Have fun - each step in your progression will feel that cool. Endless fun!!!! :)