Note to New Members ×

What to ride in Kicking Horse

Elcomico

A few friends are planning a multi day trip out west and are considering Kicking Horse. As an eastern GS carver (#1 board is a Volkl Renntiger 163), I'm questioning the best equipment to use on such a different terrain. Yeah, I could rent a soft setup but would like other options. What would YOU ride?

If there's snow, rent some softies. There's some nice carving off the Catamount chair, but you'll wear that out pretty quickly, and that's the beginner area. Off the gondola, there's blue runs all the way down, but they're steep, narrow and indifferently groomed. Playing off piste on softies is the most fun you can have there.

Get a board you can ride pow and trees. Leave the hardpack east ! Everytime I got ride in Vermont, st anne or massif with my non carving friends I always bring 2 boards. My race board and my prior pow board. It's always the same... a few run in the morning with the raceboard and then we spot a few stashes of pow in the wood, I have to go change board and I end up only using my Pow board. So if I were going to Kicking Horse I wouldn'T bother with a race board.