Note to New Members ×

General Board Questions

baldylox

I am 180-200lbs generally. 5'10. This will be my first season in hard boots.

I am looking into purchasing a Donek Metal FreeCarve. What size do you recommend? Does a longer board which means a larger sidecut radii mean larger turns? If I get a large board am I hindering my ability to make tight, lower speed turns?

Is the titanal worth it for a new carver?

Do you want to buy it for me? :D

A longer sidecut will make bigger turns. It will tend to hinder your ability to tighten your turn radius in the beginning. As you progress, you will be able to make tighter turns with longer radius sidecuts. Such abilities do take time to develop though. We typically suggest an Axxess as a first carving board as it is something most carvers continue to use as they advance, yet make the transition a bit easier. I usually like to know a lot more details about your riding conditions and the mountain you typically ride. I may already have an e-mail from you, but will send a detailed request when I get back in the office tomorrow.

I ride primarily in Vermont with a few trips out west. If there isn't fresh powder and the trees have been picked clean I am probably working on my carving. I can carve rail to rail in softies on my Ride No.4 in 164cm. I am confident carving cross-over on low angle slopes and primarily use a cross-under on cat tracks. When it starts to get steeper my carving breaks down pretty quick. I have not learned cross-through. I'll usually get one solid toeside then my heelside carve is a much larger radius and I get fast quick and need to throw snow to bleed off some speed. On medium slopes I'll frequently get heelside chatter.

I don't think I'd want a compromise board because if there is fresh snow, I'll take out my current rig, or my splitboard. I think all I'll want to do with the carve board is carve. Riding east coast trees with very forward angles seems unpleasant.

Edited by baldylox

It sounds to me like your heel side problem is likely a body position problem. This is usually driven by your stance. If your angles or width is off, you will stuggle to get into a position that facilitates a carve.

The thing I tell people is don't listen to anyones advice on stance width and angles. Strap into your setup on the carpet and listen to what your body is telling you. If you can't get low, square your shoulders to the direction you are traveling, or feel any tension or pain anywhere, you need to adjust your stance to correct these things. By low, I mean you should be able to touch your front knee to your chest.

Hey cifex,

Sean obviously knows what he's talking about. The advice on getting an Axxess is pretty solid. It'll be a forgiving first ride and folks who own them tend to hang on to them and pull them out regularly when the conditions suit. Not just fresh goodness, but weird sleety crap, and re-frozen, groomed up lumps. Make no mistake, it is an alpine board and you can carve the snot out of the thing. If you were to decide down the road that you had no place in your quiver for it, they get picked up pretty fast when people throw them up for sale. Sean is building one for my brother-in-law right now.

As far as metal goes, I'd be more concerned about how abusive learning to freecarve can be to a board. Would you feel the difference/benefit of metal? Sure. Would it be worth it at the stage you're at compared to how much life you'll get out of it and the money you paid for it? Maybe. Glass on the other hand will typically take all the abuse you can throw at it and then some.

Don't get too hung up on the descriptions when dealing with a custom board builder. Just call 'em up and tell them how and where you want to ride. If what you need isn't a stock configuration, it's no skin of their nose to make it for you. If what you need is a stock configuration, well then hey, lucky you.

Good luck.

You cant get metal right out of the box, You have to pay your dues before you can enjoy the goodness of metal. And with what dinger said about durability its an expensive concern. Trust me you will have some ackward crashes early on in learning alpine, some that could totally fold a metal constructed board. There is a reason that Donek Axis is so highly regarded, find one if you can

I'm a big fan of Marc's idea, though a Proton is a bit intimidating if you don't have wide runs. That was my second alpine board, it scared me at the time. It's really fun to try a bunch of different used boards to figure out what you like, then order something fancier.

An all-mountain board will stay in your quiver for a long time after you're out of the initial learning phase, but they're generally a little more flexible and friendlier to learn on than a dedicated free carve board.

cifex, being you are from NY, in addition to what has already been posted you 'may' also want to 'seriously' consider ECES 2014 !

It is an opportunity that will not present itself on the east coast for another 2 years ! Demo's available from many of the manufacturers along with a lot of used boards.

Great deals on accommodations and lift tickets, seminars, lessons & Good Times !

Edited by jp1

I am 180-200lbs generally. 5'10. This will be my first season in hard boots.

I am looking into purchasing a Donek Metal FreeCarve. What size do you recommend? Does a longer board which means a larger sidecut radii mean larger turns? If I get a large board am I hindering my ability to make tight, lower speed turns?

:D

I have a nice 172 Donek Axxess I'd sell you .. Clear wood top ... great condition. plus a good size for you at your 180-200lbs

let me know if you are interested.. $300

cifex - here are the photos -- base is in great shape , top is in great shape. no dings or rock marks.. edges are perfect. all you need to do is wax it and ride.

Dunno how much $$ to ship to your location -- I am in Bellevue WA -- 98006 ... you tell me.

post-53-141842403372_thumb.jpg

post-53-141842403374_thumb.jpg

post-53-141842403376_thumb.jpg

Edited by C5 Golfer
forgot something,

I'm a big fan of Marc's idea, though a Proton is a bit intimidating if you don't have wide runs. That was my second alpine board, it scared me at the time. It's really fun to try a bunch of different used boards to figure out what you like, then order something fancier.

An all-mountain board will stay in your quiver for a long time after you're out of the initial learning phase, but they're generally a little more flexible and friendlier to learn on than a dedicated free carve board.

Remember; opinions are like a.s.s. Wholes. Everyone's got one.

Hi Cifex. For what it's worth, I bought a Donek Axxess 2 seasons ago for the same reasons you're considering at present. Needed a board that was suited to the tight, often icy trails of VT, NY and the like. Had to be able to carve well as well as be versatile enough for the post-11 A.M. icy-bump-fest that passes for snow in the Northeast.

I couldn't be happier with it. I am 200 lbs, 6'3" and went for the 172 length. Rather than buying off-the-shelf though, I called Sean. He was fantastic to work with. Within about 10 mins of our conversation he had all the info he needed to tailor the board for me. I asked for a tighter sidecut than standard (9-11 VSR instead of the standard 10-12). I asked for it to be wider than standard, to suit my big feet and average angles (46 or so). With this set up I can rip some very tight turns despite being of average carving skill compared to many on this forum. The VSR makes a big difference for me. The tighter sidecut on the nose helps me initiate the directional change quickly, while the taper enables me to release from the turn and set up the next directional change equally quickly. From the first minute on the board it felt perfectly suited to me.

As I progress and improve, I expect my angles will increase and I won't need such a wide board and perhaps not as short a sidecut. I would absolutely not hesitate to buy another Donek when that day comes.

Edited by icebiker

Whats wrong with you people.. what the heck is going on with this site.. I leave and this is what happens.

for all of humanity get a doubled walled tri-titanal (titanal inside the gooey center) kessler.. it rides for you, it will skip the learning process all together... dont believe me..looks at the wonders it did for Bi Cananuk.. I mean Big Canuck.

Whats wrong with you people.. what the heck is going on with this site.. I leave and this is what happens.

for all of humanity get a doubled walled tri-titanal (titanal inside the gooey center) kessler.. it rides for you, it will skip the learning process all together... dont believe me..looks at the wonders it did for Bi Cananuk.. I mean Big Canuck.

And after you get that bad boy be sure to outfit yourself with Mizuno MP-4 Golf Clubs. -- with KBS steel shafts.