Note to New Members ×

Ottawa Winterlude Festival

lafcadio

Greetings, Ottawa friends!

I'm researching information for a friend who will be traveling to Ottawa for the Winterlude festival in February, and would sincerely appreciate some good information from locals who know Ottawa well. Her primary destination will be the canal for ice skating, but also looking for those hidden gems, such as best spots for food, coffee, hot chocolate, and anything else only a true Ottawan would know and love.

For starters, when is the best time/days to go? It will likely be a short overnight stay.

Here is a list of useful things to know, but please feel free to post your own ideas!

• best times of the day to skate the canal
  • where to say overnight -- cost is not a big concern, but quaint and charm are.
  • where to park
  • best place for coffee fix (she is a caffeine junkie)
  • best vistas and places for fabulous selfies
  • with two days to spend alone in Ottawa, what would you NOT miss
  • night life: it's all about music and dancing... latin is best.

I sure hope my BOL friends can come through for me. :biggthump

Cheers and happy carving,

Michael

Stay at Chateau Laurier it's at the end of the canal next to Parliament bldgs. From there you can skate the canal to the end and back. Wind will probably be in your face all the way back. Museum of Civilization in Hull across the river from Ottawa. Coffee hot chocolate and beavertails on the canal. Can't help with the nite life advice, after skating the canal from end to end being able to walk next day is something to look forward to. Warm wind proof clothing and perhaps foot warmers. ( it's been known to get warm and rain so pay attention to weather forcast day before departure) Ottawa isn't the north pole but it can get cold. Have a fun trip!

Agreed - if money is not too much of a concern, stay at the Chateau (watch Ontario Tourism webistes as there are often deals for two nights accommodation for Winterlude). It is close to everything downtown and you can park there - so no worrying about parking every day as everything in the core is walkable.

When to come - not a weekend. It is a ZOO. Seriously, if your friends wants to skate the weekend is terrible because you have to dodge everyone. If your friend has her own skates, evenings are fantastic (the rental places shut at around 9pm). I would do a Monday - Tuesday as it will be quietest, especially after the first weekend because then you can wonder around Jacques Cartier park and check out all the ice-carving (the big competitions happen the first weekend and the art stays up all week). There are lots of rest spots as well as covered cabins and warming spots. The distances are marked as well. Note that on the weekends a free shuttle runs the length of the canal so if you are not up for the return you can hop these; I don't think these run weekdays. However, some attractions/museums are closed on Monday so if your friend want to see those she might consider Tuesday - Wednesday.

What else to do? A walk around Parliament Hill is a must. The views are spectacular and in the evening it is quite - but during the day you can see lots. I also like the views from Major Hills Park which is right next to the Chateau. If your friend does have a vehicle, ask the hotel for directions to "Old Chelsea" and hit up the Old Chelsea pub. This is really a local experience and is crowded on the weekends with people getting good food and micro-brews after a morning of cross-country skiing. The cross country skiing from Old Chelsea is easy to access and world class. Your friend can also spend some time wondering around the Bywarde market and along Sparks Street (they are really trying to do lots of new things here, so you might find a random festival - although these tend to run Wednesday - Sunday). Wakefiled is also cute, but further away - it has cute stores and a great venue for live music (Black Sheep Inn).

Coffee - the local coffee place is called "Bridgehead" there is one in the Byward Market and one on Sparks and Metcalfe. The coffee is better than Starbucks and the vibe is chill, it is a local chain that does not expand to the suburbs because it works of the principles of foot, bus or bike. Another favorite of mine is Grounded Cafe, a great place to get a late lunch (don't go during the lunch hour because you will be completing with lots of people). After 12:50 it is empty and the food and coffee is good. There is also a new place on Elgin Street - Ministry of Coffee - not been there, but have heard lots of good things.

Eats - Whales Bone on Elgin, but really hard to get into. IN the Byward Market - so very close to the Chateau - Murray Street is a favorite of mine, as is Play (more a tapas type bar but great local food). D'Arcy McGees is also a local hot-spot and very busy on Friday nights when they give out free oysters from 4 till they run out. Wednesday's get busy because this is where the Liberal Party staffers hang out.

Finally, when my sister comes for Winterlude, we usually try and spend half a day at Le Nordic. This is an outdoor Scandinavian style spa. They have outdoor hot tubs and it is just a lovely vibe with the snow falling around you. Le Nordic is really near the Old Chelsea Pub so the two could be done together - just don't do either too late as it they both get crowded.

Hope this helps.

10-4 on Bridgehead for coffee if staying in Ottawa although there are better places that pull a better espresso if that's what she's after. Bridgehead finally started roasting there own last year. Equator out in Almonte is where it's at but it's 30-40min drive.

Chateau Laurier is good for location but the rooms aren't anything special if you pay full pop; get a discounted rate and it's worth it for location and the building itself is super nice.

As for eats, my go-to never-fail is Wellington Gastropub, 10 minute drive (relatively cheap cab) from Chateau if that's where she decides. You'll pay $18-30 a plate but is ridiculously good and locally sourced when possible. Only have 5 or so things on the menu for mains but they are typically all good and usually have a vegetarian option that's killer and the service is outstanding and consistent. Make reservations as it's small, quaint but an awesome vibe. And they also pull a great shot and have a great selection of local and regional beers. http://www.thewellingtongastropub.com/

"Town" is also apparently really good. Haven't been but my close friend loves it as a hardcore foodie. http://www.townlovesyou.ca/

"Oz Kafe" is really good too but I prefer Gastropub overall (and no I don't know anyone there or have a stake in the place...it's just that good!) http://www.ozkafe.com/

If she has to hit up the canal on the weekend, do it in the evening as the kids are asleep and it's beautiful with the lights. Or do an early evening skate and dinner after, that's a good night. Morning is good too and you'll usually only find the commuters skating to work at that time.

Edited by Hilux

You guys are awesome! :biggthump

Lots of good information. Thank you, so much! Not that I thought my BOL peeps would let me down! :)

I'm sure it will be midweek and she will be bring her own skates -- never goes anywhere without them.

I'll let you all know how it goes. At this point, it's a solo trip, unless I can somehow work some magic and figure out a way to come along.