Note to New Members ×

Whistler '13-'14

• 3 weeks later...

Ride reports;

I've done two days at Whistler thus far this year.

First day was Nov 16th - great day. Decent coverage around Emerald and Red Chairs (Dave Murray not open yet)

Nov 30th - packed with people, warmer and quite skied off, variable snow. Needs a good few dumps of snow.

I skied both days since we are getting our 2-year old on skis this year. He loves it, but my legs are killing me after half a run. :) ahhh the sacrifices of a proud father!

-Gord

Gordad, well done on starting your kid young!

Some back saving pointers:

Get the kid to the magic carpet and pros for few days, 1hr session is enough at that age. It gives more milage and self-assurance to the little ones, then a parent can, at appropriate terrain.

Try to implement "no contact" skiing with your little one, on appropriate terrain, as soon as possible. The best is to ski backwards, turn and draw the attention all the time: "look at me, look at me, follow, follow, catch me if you can" type of thing...

Enjoy!

Don't forget the pics, please.

• 2 weeks later...
Second trip to Whistler this month-- last time to cold to ride when it was -9° F. Today was great... a few rocks here and there but great to get my legs on the snow. Saw one Hardbooter on Emerald Chair area but never saw him again - wonder who he was.

Twas probably me. I did a few runs along Emerald then headed over to the red chair. It was a lot less crowded on that side and the terrain was marginally better.

Looking forward to this weekend. Should have a tiny bit more coverage after Thursday and Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Skied today with the little one.

I'm such a proud father, he was skiing on his own at the end of a strap around his waist. We did a few laps of Olympic beginners area...he'll be dropping Couloir soon. I may have to post a video soon... 28 months and skiing! :)

Anyway, I got out for a handful of runs after Tanner was done. Sparse coverage, nice conditions at the top, and spring corn-snow mid-mountain. The crowds weren't horrible, but are funneled onto the same trails, so its artificially busy.

-Gord

Skied today with the little one.

I'm such a proud father, he was skiing on his own at the end of a strap around his waist. We did a few laps of Olympic beginners area...he'll be dropping Couloir soon. I may have to post a video soon... 28 months and skiing! :)

Anyway, I got out for a handful of runs after Tanner was done. Sparse coverage, nice conditions at the top, and spring corn-snow mid-mountain. The crowds weren't horrible, but are funneled onto the same trails, so its artificially busy.

-Gord

Overwhelming crowd at Blackcomb today. 2 + hours to get from base to top of Excelerator, whence straight to Glacie:r lodge to warm up , defog goggles and pee. JC eventually opened and I got a few good runs under the chair in the deep and fluffy fresh. Too soft for carving so I was on freewheel skis. 15+ minute lift lines all day everywhere except for a late no-line load on JC at 3:15.Yesterday was decent carving for half the day then ice or lumps for the afternoon. I don't know what possessed me to come here for a weekend.

Left at 5 am today to do first tracks only to be at the tail end of an 800-person line up. Just before first tracks was about to start, they put the gondola on standby because of high winds and had to download the first few hundred first trackers.

Limited runs available but good snow in the morning. Then it all got tracked to hell and it was just too much work. Should be a blast when they open the previously closed runs.

• 1 month later...

That last dump was much needed after about a month of no snow. I wasn't feeling it but I forced myself to go up anyway. I tried the runs off Symphony and started getting my legs back under me when they had to close both Symphony and Harmony because of the winds.

It snowed most of the night before but even that wasn't even enough to cover many thin spots. The coiler is slowly turning into my rock board.

Met Wolfgang, another carver visiting from Germany. He says alpine is just about dead in his corner of the globe.

• 3 weeks later...
Charlie -- I am coming up to Whistler next week -- how is the snow these days?

Hi, c5Golfer. There's much better coverage after the back to back to back storms a couple of weeks past. When I was up last, there was plenty of fresh and the bowl were a lot of fun.

It looks like it's going to be warm-ish this weekend and the snow might be a bit soft with freezing levels at around 1700m.

Are you going on the weekend on weekdays?

is it worth bringing my alpine boots/board and possibly take a demo board from Prior for fluffier days?

Definitely bring your gear. If getting a demo board from Prior, be sure to call them several days in advance since their alpine stuff isn't readily available.

I may have a loaner set up for you depending on your weight.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'll be riding in Whistler on Tuesday April 1, the 3rd, 4th and 6th. I can't ride the whole time as we're going for a wedding. I'm bringing some softies and a Jones Mountain Twin. Someone told me about Max 4 or something? He said it was a tour that caters to different skill levels, how do I find out about that?

• 4 weeks later...

It's not quite summer yet. Buddies and I were treated to hero snow and some sun yesterday. The best part is there was absolutely no crowd. We kept lapping on Emerald and Harmony and hit Symphony after patrol was done with avy control(!).

Later in the day, I got to demo a 177 WCRM from the fine folks at Prior. And wow, was it ever fun. It's very damp and it's very flickable and at the same time, turns are no harder to initiate than my Coiler. While the length made it suck on mogul fields, it instills confidence when on the steeper groomed runs. It's definitely something to consider to add to the quiver.

PSA: keep an eye out for a 159 4WD demo board on the Prior site which will go on clearance soon. The reps said they'll let it go of $499 which I think is a good deal.

Later in the day, I got to demo a 177 WCRM from the fine folks at Prior. And wow, was it ever fun. It's very damp and it's very flickable and at the same time, turns are no harder to initiate than my Coiler. While the length made it suck on mogul fields, it instills confidence when on the steeper groomed runs. It's definitely something to consider to add to the quiver.

Prior WCRM 173 and 177 are among the best and easiest boards I've ridden.

You can try to pray the 177 carbontop from Roy's hands - he didn't ride it for long time...

Your Whistler report sounds good, we should give it a mass atack... or few :D

• 3 weeks later...