Note to New Members ×

BOL-er New to Portland Oregon

forrest

Hi All,

I've just arrive in the Portland area and knowing there is a large contingent of carvers up this way I wanted to get some thoughts for you all.

I'm thinking I'll ride at Hood this winter and I was wondering which of the three resorts has the best carving terrain? Timberline is attractive just because of the location but I was wondering what the consensus was.

Beer, Belgian Beer specifically. I've been loving the beer selection, seemingly available on every corner such an improvement from Utah, I'm wondering if there is a bar around that specifically does Belgian beers.

Finally I know there tend to be a fair number of Engineers here. I am a biomedical engineer looking around for engineering work, could be in the field or a change could be in order. If anyone has any leads I could follow I would be much appreciative.

Thanks and I hope to meet on the slope this winter

Walker

Welcome to the PNW Walker.

The majority of alpine riders use the Mt Hood Meadows ski area. Most options + the most high speed lifts. Each of the three areas have their pluses and minuses.

FYI> If you are buying a pass, you will want to jump on that asap. It has been extended this week at MHM at least. 499$ for a full adult pass.

Please look back at some of the posts on the "Ride Board" for MHM and Timberline.

Happy to share more info.

Bryan

Currently a big fan of IPAs , specifically the Widmer "Hopside Down" in the Rotator series. The "Brrr" is currently in stores again and it is seasonal fav.

Which of the Belgians specifically ?

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Hi All,

Beer, Belgian Beer specifically. I've been loving the beer selection, seemingly available on every corner such an improvement from Utah, I'm wondering if there is a bar around that specifically does Belgian beers.

Walker

Hey Forrest, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. It looks like Bryan (Old Snowboards) got you sorted out on passes -- just wanted to chime in on the bar question. There are lots of bars and bottle shops that have some Belgians, but <a href="http://bazipdx.com/">Bazi</a> is the only bar I know of that specifically focuses on Belgians.

Let us know how it goes settling in and post up on the ride board when you start hitting the mountain -- hopefully we can hook up (as long as you're riding at Meadows, that is ;-)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll definitely check out Bazi. One needs a bar to have a few wildly expensive high test belgian beers at now and then.

Its looking like I won't be able to get a pass to Meadows, looking like a night pass to the Bowl at the moment.

Are there any good second hand ski and board shops in the area? I'm fond of picking up random old equipment from time to time.

Bryan, sorry I missed your question. Tripples are my favorite then Blonds, Ambers, Doubbles, I tend away from the hoppy beers in general.

Thanks Again,

Walker

Hey Walker ,

I work for Legacy Health System and know they do employ biomedical engineers. They have a research facility located near the Rose garden . I would check the system website . Got a pass the MHM like Bryan said and love IPAs too....current favorite is hop valley alpha centari ...

Its looking like I won't be able to get a pass to Meadows, looking like a night pass to the Bowl at the moment.

Too bad, keep your eyes open for spring passes to Meadows - they usually start selling them around early March, and they were $149 last year. The season runs through early May, so it's a pretty good deal.

I live close to Bazi, post up if you want a drinking buddy some night. Happy hour there is pretty worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey had really good first day riding. Yes the snow quality is excellent but thin on sun exposed aspects. Got in the first crowd up mex at 845. Really good knee deep powder in the bowls but you had to watch for rocks. They never opened cascade because it was still clouded over with flurries till 11. If you can get it tomorrow you will be loving life. Looked impressive up high. Not sure about star but wished it was open today. umy3ebut.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...