Note to New Members ×

UPZ Boot Modification/TD3 sidewinder

TJR

I've heard of people having to do this but I've used UPZ RTR's and ATBs in TD3 step-ins with fintecs with no clearance issues or requirement to shave anything. I just received a set of RC-10s to replace my RTRs; while I haven't tried them in the binding I'm not anticipating any issues with them.

Dave

Just picked up a pair of UPZ boots- was fitting the boots to a TD3 binding and found the need to shave the boot a tad, may have to shave a bit more....

has anyone has the same issue/done the same thing, recommendations?

Providing photos would really help in a case like this.

Are you talking about the toe, the heel ? From the sides , bottom , top?

More info and photos please.

Providing photos would really help in a case like this.

Are you talking about the toe, the heel ? From the sides , bottom , top?

More info and photos please.

I'll post photos tomorrow, but it's the toe bail, fit's fine at the front of the boot, but where the bail is attached to the lug, tight fit there....

I recall seeing some Japanese alpine store where they ground the AT soles to fit better on TD3 bindings. I can't find it now though... :( Sorry. They basically removed anything that's close to touching the bail along the sides.

I've found that you also need to watch the sole thickness on the regular UPZ plastic soles. Mine had wore down from walking and were allowing the body of the boot to brush the sides of the toe bail. One of my bails broke at SES; I bet this was at least a partial cause. Either way, I resolved it with a layer of shoe goo on the sole to build it up again. Bonus side effect: less slipping while walking on polished concrete!

I've found that you also need to watch the sole thickness on the regular UPZ plastic soles. Mine had wore down from walking and were allowing the body of the boot to brush the sides of the toe bail. One of my bails broke at SES; I bet this was at least a partial cause. Either way, I resolved it with a layer of shoe goo on the sole to build it up again. Bonus side effect: less slipping while walking on polished concrete!

Hmmm, noticed that with mine too starting to wear but they aren't too bad at this point. Would you be able to snap a couple pics with the shoe goo? You literally just applied shoe goo right onto the sole? That's a great idea b/c those sole pads are soooo slippery!

post-10733-141842398023_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, noticed that with mine too starting to wear but they aren't too bad at this point. Would you be able to snap a couple pics with the shoe goo? You literally just applied shoe goo right onto the sole? That's a great idea b/c those sole pads are soooo slippery!

My biggest worry is that it will release at high speed, here's a pic of the boot in the binding

I scratched the toe area quite aggressively with a knife and hacksaw blade so the shoe goo had more surface area/roughness to grab on to. It's held so far, but I've probably walked less than a few hundred feet on pavement/concrete since. I've fallen a couple of times plus had countless slips with the combo of the silly plastic toe pads and the fairly hard Fintecs.

See posts 103 and 104 of this thread for a fairly good solution for walking longer distances in UPZs.

I should add that I'm running step-ins/Fintecs. I'm not sure how the relatively squishy shoe goo would handle clip in bindings. Either way, you need to readjust the bail spacing once the goo has cured.

Toe of boot, with arrow indicating area that I took a round file to in order to have extra clearance to the bail:

4djkk.jpg

Side view of boot in binding:

a8lk0.jpg

View to show small clearance between bail and boot after adding shoe goo and filing notch in boot:

2qdsoxk.jpg

Before that work, the bail was touching the boot.

@ Corey: Thanks for posting those! Yikes, those toe pads are quite worn down. I do also have step-ins (converted standards) so should be similar results. Might be worth a shot to benefit from the grip even though mine aren't worn as much as yours.

@ TJR - Apologies for minor thread-jack!

@ Corey: Thanks for posting those! Yikes, those toe pads are quite worn down. I do also have step-ins (converted standards) so should be similar results. Might be worth a shot to benefit from the grip even though mine aren't worn as much as yours.

@ TJR - Apologies for minor thread-jack!

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll look at grinding first and then maybe new snowboard bottoms.

No apologies needed

TJR