Note to New Members ×

Stiff frreeride board suggestions?

amjet12

Hello everyone,

I moved abroad about a year ago and I am looking into getting a stiff freeride board that I can do similiar carving like I do on my F2. I had to leave them at home so I figured this would be a good opportunity to get a new board while I'm here!

Any suggestions? I am a 5'3", 130lb female. My F2 is 163 and I ride a 153 freestyle at home. I am looking for a 155 mid-stiff board maybe around a 5-6 on the 1-10 scale. I was looking at Never summer boards, Jones, and I found a Head AK SCi that looked interesting.

I am also looking at men's boards. I don't particularly like the designs of female boards and some of the ones I've looked at don't have the stiffness I am looking for or the length.

Thanks for the help!

I asked about this a few seasons ago and a number here had good things to say about the Arbor Push as a stiff, women's freeride board. You could also get a custom Coiler or Donek. Your location says Japan -- have you seen Ogasaka's boards? I have an Ogasaka alpine board that's very nice, and I believe they make freeride boards as well. Kessler, Oxxess, SG may be available there as well, probably quite expensive.

I asked about this a few seasons ago and a number here had good things to say about the Arbor Push as a stiff, women's freeride board. You could also get a custom Coiler or Donek. Your location says Japan -- have you seen Ogasaka's boards? I have an Ogasaka alpine board that's very nice, and I believe they make freeride boards as well. Kessler, Oxxess, SG may be available there as well, probably quite expensive.

Oh that tricky thing called a budget :rolleyes: If I didn't need new softboots too (also on the stiff side) I would definitely go higher in the board.

I will take a look into the boards you mentioned but I don't think I will be getting a hardboot set while I'm here. I love my F2 and my hardboots would be a hassle to have shipped here. I'm also looking up Japanese boards I'm not adverse to them. Unfortunately where I live there is no dedicated board shop unless I travel a good two hours away (yay to be in the country side!) So I'm doing all of my research online and hopefully will find something when the local sports stores start bringing out the board stuff. I would hate to buy a board without even getting the chance to see it person.

Thanks for the advice! I will try to go dig up that old thread.

Donek custom 155 Saber

Coiler custom 155 softie

Moss TWFD 155

Moss Twister 155

Ogasaka FC-X 154

Someone did a review comparing Donek sabre with Yonex rev. The reviewer found that Donek Saber was heaps better at carving than Yonex Rev. So I believe if you're serious at carving, at least teaching carving or maybe participating in gijutsu taikai, then boards mentioned above might suit them? They're all hammerhead boards except for fc-x. About Donek my incline is around 7-8 out of 10 so def not 5-6 out of 10 you're looking for unless you're quite specific about flex when ordering. In japan it would be easier to get hold of Japanese boards but in Tokyo majority of shops seem to stock freeride boards not carve-friendly boards but I might not have looked enough. Wish you luck.

I agree that Donek's Sabre and Razor boards are fantastic for what you're looking for. As for mass produced boards, think you're on the right track with Never Summer. I'd also consider Unity and Venture, both also out of Colorado. If you're an Ebayer, you can usually get good deals on some of the higher end Nidecker boards--which I have ridden (Legend, Platinum, etc.) and really liked. They tend to turn quickly, but have good stiffness and build quality. Good luck!

Yes Nidecker makes some really nice stuff. They are very lightweight too.

I'd also add the Priors to the list. If you are not really into girl speciffic (which they have), look at smaller AMF and MFR. The later one is stiffer.

The Steepwater is a beast too and very solid built. Not very expensive.

You might enjoy the smallest Rad-Air Tanker too! They used to have a 167.

Other good production boards are high end Elan (Vertigo) and Palmer.

Donek Incline if you want more freeridey. The Razor and Sabre are more softboot freecarve and BX oriented. The Incline is an AM board that'll rip all over a mountain. It runs powder chutes, moguls, and shreds groom. I've had a 163 and a 173. I found the 163 a touch soft for me at 215lbs in that it handled the AM terrain beautifully but would fold on groom. I moved to the 173 and now drag hips when I turn on groom. My 170 lb. buddy now has the 163 and he routinely ECs it. Both of us ride these boards in all conditions with hardboots.

I have Sean build my Inclines with the rubber damping he puts into the Sabre models. Makes them a very nice board.

Coming in a 5'3" you probably have smaller feet so if you go custom you could have Sean build a board for your particular foot width.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi amjet12, Welcome to Bomber. Where are you located in Japan? I lived in Nagoya for 7 years so I can relate to your gear challenges there.

Do you want to buy a local made board? If so, I can post some links for softboot carving boards if you would like. Some of the local brands like Moss, Gray, BC Stream and Yonex have some nice boards.

I can also recommend some shops around Nagoya or Tokyo if you need.

Let me know.

Thanks! Tom

Edited by Miltie
Added comment about shops

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice. I actually went with a Never Summer 12-13 155 Cobra and I am very excited to get it out on the slopes this season. It was right within my budget and all the specs lined up. Thanks again!

Now onto boots!