1. 1. Prefered social media

• The Grandaddy Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Google+
    • Linkedin
    • I don't use any type of Social Media
    • Something else

I think it depends on your business quite a lot. Some of my snow-related interests do pretty well off Facebook, even with kids, which is kind of weird but there it is. Google plus hasn't really taken off.

Linked in... "nerds reunited" when it started, now it's just adverts and recruitment agents in my book; not useful for anything much, although it often throws up results if you're googling someone you may do business with. As the data's fairly structured it's more useful for assessing people than the other stuff.

Twitter I have to use for real work, although my real customers don't live there. The traditional media here wet their pants over Twitter, but it's not really relevant to in my line of work at least. It's botty dribble too, but that's by the by.

I think you have to play them all and see what works. For my main business people don't find us from the web, they use the web for reassurance once they already know about us. So the social media (blogs, Twitter) are useful for that. I'm not sure that they have any real effect on search engines, but again, people searching for my business know they're looking for us before they start, so they're not randomly searching.

Well said Phil.

Recently I had someone suggest that a group I belong to use FB to get the info out to others in a similar position. They forget that would simply bore your "Friends" with info they are not effected by.

In the case above , it is about letting folks know about changes to a financial institution that will effect them. The problem with putting the info on the internet is that it does help them unless they are searching for the information.

To reach the broadest group of folks (some of which need the info but don't know it) you must use TV ads , national news, newspaper, radio ads, etc.

Just pointing out "concept" issues of social media , it may or may not relate to BOL's needs.

I'm more curious in general what carvers use and follow. Brian, if you belong to a group that is private, then the info shouldn't be on your wall for your other "friends" to see. It should only post in that group and on your feed. TVads, newspapers, radio etc all cost money, while most social medias are free. Huge difference although you get what you pay for, right?

I've found Facebook a very useful tool for business.

Our ski/bike shop page has picked up nearly 900 LIKES and gets a lot of traffic which has led to sales.

Personally I've rolled out two pages that are gaining traction. Considering the only thing I have invested in them is time, I consider them pretty good resources and they're generating some revenue.

GoldenYearsGeek

Pat Moore Photography and Pencil Sketches

As an ex-recruiter I can appreciate the value of LinkedIn but don't use it personally.

I will use Pinterest on rare occasions but don't see much benefit for my needs.

Never saw the point in Twitter but obviously much of the rest of the world disagrees with me.

I've found Facebook a very useful tool for business.

Our ski/bike shop page has picked up nearly 900 LIKES and gets a lot of traffic which has led to sales.

Personally I've rolled out two pages that are gaining traction. Considering the only thing I have invested in them is time, I consider them pretty good resources and they're generating some revenue.

Thanks Pat, that's how I feel about FB pages. If the only thing you have invested in them is time, then even if you get one sale or one person following that you can give info to, it's worth it. Linkedin is great if you are trying to promote yourself, but I don't find it a good resource for businesses. And I couldn't agree more with Twitter, although we are using it now because for lack of a better excuse "everyone else is and people expect it".

BTW, great FB pages you have!