Note to New Members ×

Tree Well Action

Fleaman

Doing my opening sweep yesterday morning with 25cm of fresh snow on the mountain, I was on one of the steeper runs and full of trees. I was flopping around and lost it. I fell on my back with my head downhill into a tree well. Some of the snow behind me was moving and covered my face. I was choking on the snow and panicked. I started to hyperventilate and was going nuts trying to get out. I did remember to see if I can remove my bindings, I didnt have too, but it was nice to have stepins.(snowpro). I reached around the tree for a while, but it was about a minute before I could get back up, shake off and chill out for a bit. I also had a radio, but I don't think it would of worked because I was going crazy and was concentrating on getting air.

The moral is always ride with a partner on double blacks.

always ride with a buddy on days like that. i was at crystal 2 years ago. 4' of snow fell the night before. the treewells were deadly. one person lost their life due to skiing alone.

earlier that day, i was in the trees and took a spill. i found myself choking on powder. luckily i was able to get on my feet and shake it off. not as serious as your situation still scary none-the-less.