Note to New Members ×

4x4 vs UPM

Calle

The replacement for my crashed SG arrived today, a Oxess with UPM and 4x4 inserts.:)

The only hardware for my plate i got so far is 4x4.

So has anyone switched back and forth between the inserts and felt any difference?

Should I be in a hurry to switch to UPM or can i relax?

I asked Fin that same question. He said it was a very minor difference that you could only tell when riding back-to-back on the same board on the same day. i.e. not worth buying the extra hardware if you already have one vs. the other.

The UPM pattern moved forward about a year ago to solve exactly the issue you had. It used to be asymmetrical, now it's symmetrical around the 4x4 pattern. All the UPM inserts were shifted forward. Not all of the board makers made this change.

The replacement for my crashed SG arrived today, a Oxess with UPM and 4x4 inserts.:)

The only hardware for my plate i got so far is 4x4.

So has anyone switched back and forth between the inserts and felt any difference?

Should I be in a hurry to switch to UPM or can i relax?

Depending on the plate design, the UPM can provide a far more immediate edge engagement. A lot of people feel that the delay in edge engagement, when riding a plate, is due to the height off the board. In our development of the F and AF plates, we found that the use of the UPM and different types of hardware generated a plate that engages the edge far faster than with the 4X4 pattern.

Why was it asymmetrical to start with? Seems like a dumb design choice on the surface of it but there must have been a reason.

When plates first started coming out the flex patterns had not been optimized for them. shifting the pattern to the rear made it possible to load the board in a stiffer section of the board. As flexes have evolved to work better with plates, this has become unnecessary .