Note to New Members ×

Pictures from 2013 USASA Nationals at Copper this week

fin

* I'll move this to "Race" forum eventually. But it is slow now so thought all would enjoy this *

Just wrapped up 6 incredible days or racing here at the 2013 USASA Nationals at Copper Mnt, Colorado. Over 1100 participants from all over the US came to town to race. Both Bomber and Donek where there with their full demo fleet and tents. For us this is an incredible week for people to try alpine gear. I would say +90% of the time we have people being set-up to try gear. For a lot of these kids, getting a hold of some alpine gear to try is very difficult so they took full advantage of the opportunity.

Just tried looking up the results but looks like they are not up yet? Or maybe I cannot find them. Anyone?

Sean and I spent a good chuck of one day going from the GS/SL venue to the BX venue taking a pile of pics. As soon as Sean gets home and some time, he will post these pictures.

Thanks to all who participated and great job by USASA as usual.

post-1-141842391643_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842391645_thumb.jpg

Edited by fin

I'm going to refrain about the results format :barf: and I'm not going to reformat them but if folks are interested:

https://www.usasa.org/2013/889-2013-snowboard-nationals-results.html

Fin- With all the push towards Slopestyle and BX do you feel interest from the sub-16 year old crowd in alpine (GS/SL)?

Thanks for the photos!

Edited by lonbordin

lonboardin,

Actually, the surprising thing is I would say half of all alpine demos that went out where sub-16 year old. LOTS of 10-14 wanted to try it. My take is after 16, they tend to know what they want to do, so under that age they are still willing to try something new.

One of the coaches brought up an interesting point, he says at around 16 they tend to go in one of two directions: slope style/pipe OR alpine/BX. Rarely do they stay in both.

Enjoyed looking at the photos! Lots of different equipment on the podium, including Catek OS2's I noted in one shot. Apex, Donek, Bomber plates. Donek, SG, Kessler boards. What's up with the REV 163 in the last photo without the bindings - must have been challenging to ride :-)

Enjoyed looking at the photos! Lots of different equipment on the podium, including Catek OS2's I noted in one shot. Apex, Donek, Bomber plates. Donek, SG, Kessler boards. What's up with the REV 163 in the last photo without the bindings - must have been challenging to ride :-)

Most athletes will disassemble their board after a race, so it can be effectively waxed, transported, or in this case returned after demoing it.

Any pictures from the Youth on course?

LOTS of 10-14 wanted to try it

I hope some few of them read and watch this site and thread maybe.

So to introduce them what for hardbooting was standing and FIS would never be able to tell us, some pictures for the Youth:

Once upon a time in old Europe,

hardbooters went for GS gate trainings,

image.php?id=CBD3_51608076

and for sure for freeriding too!

image.php?id=9503_51608076

Quite nothing goods for men riding comfy Cadillac-style alpineboards.

Always remember, your bones will not break if you fail on true hardbooting! No-no, they shatter.

Just only two pictures, showing why alpine snowboarding by hardboots became once that popular, nothing else more.

image.php?id=E353_51608076&gif

Thanks Sean. Nice camera work! I can see why Brian beat me.. How did you make time to go shoot photos between all the demo activities? Dennis

Fin and I left the tents to Michelle and Josh for 3 to 4 hours on Wednesday and got in the course.

i think he means skinsuits (vs. baggy clothing).

Not sure on this one. I checked the USASA rules, and note that they are banned in boardercross :-

"Speed suits shall not be allowed, nor shall any "slippery material" beworn."

however, this doesn't pertain to Alpine events in USASA, at least not according to the rule book.

They are banned by the FIS. There's a thread on it here. But can't see how this would affect USASA rules. http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?30830-Good-or-bad-!-FIS-bans-one-piece-racesuit

Not sure on this one. I checked the USASA rules, and note that they are banned in boardercross :-

"Speed suits shall not be allowed, nor shall any "slippery material" beworn."

however, this doesn't pertain to Alpine events in USASA, at least not according to the rule book.

They are banned by the FIS. There's a thread on it here. But can't see how this would affect USASA rules. http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?30830-Good-or-bad-!-FIS-bans-one-piece-racesuit

OK. Yeah speed suits are banned in FIS and therefore not going to be used at the national level either.