Note to New Members ×

UPS Boots...pros/cons

Rusty

Guest stickmansurf

Rusty

I have a pair that are about two years old. I bought them when I used to live in Vail. They have about 125 days on them. Most of the riding I do is all/big mountain. I haven't experienced any major problems (such as exploding buckle hardware). Mine came with Intec heels. As far as stiffness, they are not overly stiff or soft, kind of right in the middle (Although I'm 6'5', 205lbs.).

Where are you getting them from? Mine came from a guy in Canada and the exchange rate really worked in my favor.

Goodluck,

Stickman

Here's my take on UPS boots: great fit in the foot (for me), lighter than Raichles, shorter sole length for the same boot size than Raichles, but bad fit in the cuff (for me). I had serious shin bang problems with my UPS boots, and I never felt like I could get the forward lean far enough forward (probably there's a connection there).

I can't remember at the moment the model name of my boots, but they were the lower-end, freecarve boots, not the high-end race boots. The race boots should be more adjustable and probably a nicer ride all around.

If they fit you well, I think they're great boots. Too bad they didn't fit me quite right.

-Dan

Guest Randy S.

I echo the first part of what Dan said.

I've found the 3-band Booster strap to be a worthwhile addition. On mine, the buckles could have been aligned better, but they work (one of the 3 lowers is on the loosest setting and the other two on a tighter one. No biggie. I have the Thermoflex Raichle liners in mine and that works great.

See if you can get an extra set of screws for the soles. Mine in the toe area have worn out so I'll have to drill them out if I want to take them out. Seem to hold up well. I have probably 50 days on them in one season.

Glad to hear they are coming in. They must have sorted out their buckle supply problem. They were backordered so you getting yours is a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to really put em' through their paces yet. I was gonna use em' the weekend of the 6th at killington buuuut with 3ft of fresh powder it was time to play in the trees with the softies.

There are a few things so far, mind you these are the Mach series boots NOT this years 5 buckle design.

1. I had to take the Dremel tool to the rear heel for it to fit perfect into my old TD1's. The indentation that the rear bail sits in in narrower than the shape of the old TD1 bails. A little off the rearmost corners and it makes a nice tight connection.

2. I have tree trunks for legs so I think I may repositon the top most buckle to accomodate my XL calves.

3. Fit of the boot seems good so far in my living room I've got a slightly wide, slightly low volume foot and they feel pretty good. So far.

4. One design factor that I really like as far as comfort is the "side impact panel". (it's the silver looking patch near the toe) It's made of a softer material that gives a little, eliminating a hotspot that I always end up with.

I'll be able to put some miles under the in the near future and I'll post some more feedback after I do.

On a side note buying from Dan Yoja was top notch! He responded quickly to my e-mails and was able to get them to me lightning fast.

post-70-141842196192_thumb.jpg

Guest stickmansurf

Rusty

Do you have Dan's info. I can't seem to find his old website and one of my posse is looking for a pair of boots. I used him when I was in Colorado and he was great to deal with.

Thanks,

Stickman

:D

True, I only got to ride them about 7 days last year, but I loved them - after I had them stretched out in toes... I've got EEE foot, so I needed to have them stretched just a little bit. I'm also about 230 lbs, never broke anything on them, but also not laying them as low as some around here...

Dan was great to work with.

-C