Note to New Members ×

Granite Peak March 2013

mo_writer

Granite is one of my favorite joints in the Mid West. The mid-mountain lift and the new terrain help to keep different abilities separated. And I think they may have a new high-speed quad, though I might be mistaken on that.

Up's and Down's in temps may have it a little icy at the bottom, and on the runs farthest east. There's plenty of terrain, and the chalet has a great selection of local craft beers.

On the way to Lutsen for one final day...

Drive another 1 1/2 hours to Indianhead for some of the best snow in years, no crowds, few b-liners, and pitches all the way to the bottom instead of just 1/2 way. We'll be there this weekend, and the following two as it looks like both Indianhead and Blackjack will extend thier seasons as long as folks keep coming. The snow has another 4-5 weeks if the weather doesn't break abrubtly.

Yup, Indianhead is better for carving terrain than anything in Minnesota. Lutsen has only a few good carving runs, otherwise mostly narrower, old style ski trails, not worth drivng beyond Indianhead for. Never been to Granite so would like to hear a report. Al, maybe we'll try and get back over to the U.P. this year.

Should be good, more than a foot of snow over the past few days. When we were up there on a Thursday they didn't open the extreme east and west lifts/terrain, so you might get some untracked powder. There's a slim chance I'll get up there this weekend. Any idea when Indianhead plans to close for the season?

• 4 weeks later...
Just curious how you found Granite and what runs are best....

I thought I had responded to this - sorry to be so late with this. Granite was okay. My legs were really worn out from the flats at the bottom, and by the third day, I stayed mostly on the top half. But then the runs are short, and you can't get back to some of them without going all the way to the bottom. I liked the rollers on the narrower runs since I didn't have to turn on them. Favorite runs were the one they put the race gates on and Carver over on the east side. There really weren't any "bad" runs except for the flats near the bottom. I even did the easy moguls near the beginner area in front of the lodge (3 times).

Will almost definitely check out Indianhead next year.