Note to New Members ×

Best Carving Resort in Quebec

Rob-CanCarve

Hey Guys:

I am looking for everyone's opinion on which resort and/or area in Quebec would be the best for a 3 day vacation.

Plan is to ride Friday, Saturday and Sunday (i know can't get weekday time off) in mid-late February

Which resort/area would be the best for carving??

All insight, advice and opinions welcome.

Thanks

Rob

I'm planning to be at MSLM by 9:00AM but with two kids in tow, it might be closer to 10 when I get there. Where do you ride, Moonstone or St. Louis peak chair?

In Quebec, I've been to:

Mt. Ste. Marie - not recommended. Too narrow.

Mt. Ste. Anne - highly recommended. Lots of choices of runs with it being a broad mountain. But, it gets dang cold.

Bromont - recommended due to low cost and nice cruisers. Can get crowded on weekends.

Mt. Tremblant - auckh! Can't stand the place except for very late season.

Most of the Gatineau hills - kind of smallish. Only go if you're staying with in-laws in Ottawa and you just gotta get out of the place.

Never been to Le Massif but I hear it's the best of the bunch.

Skategoat:

Usually ride Promanade on Moonstone side.

Will be riding a new Madd 170 - first voyage on the hills with this.

Colours - Red/Black/White jacket and Giro Flint Helmet.

How old are your kids - mine is 2 1/2 and I am hoping to get him on skis this year.

Hopefully we will hook up.

Rob

I've done a lot of riding all over Quebec, and by far my favorite mountain is Mont Sainte Anne for carving. They get lots of snow, it's quite large, it's not crowded, good condos right at the foot of the mountain, great grooming and just look at a picture of the mountain... LOTS of carving runs. Also, good night carving!

If you stay at Mont Sainte Anne, you can also take shuttles to Stoneham and Massif. Stoneham has great terrain parks, and quite a few good carving runs, but it's smaller. They have great night carving too.

Massif is more of a skiers mountain, but if it's a powder day it's fun to go there. On a weekday there are quite a few carvers usually there, and there are lots of steep, challenging trails, but don't bring a long radius board. A few trails are wide (Petite Riviere and Bouchard are nice) but most aren't.

Off topic... has anyone here ever been to Mont Grand Fonds, out of La Malbaie, 45 minutes East of Baie-St-Paul? It is one of the best carving mountains I've ever been to. Not nearly as large as St-Anne, but there is nobody there (about 40 people on the whole mountain after lunch when I was there on the day after the Junior Gold hockey game), really nice locals, cheap great food, and every trail is SOOOO carveable. They have sweet blue runs with beautiful views and great grooming, and even a sweet "Sous-Bois" run that is awesomely carve-able, with sparse trees, with natural jumps formed around them, perfectly placed to carve around and launch off of! Saw another carver there last week on an old Rossi from the lift.

Rob:

I'll be looking for you ripping it up on the bbaM. I ride a Prior 4WD with Whistler graphics. Blue helmet, grey jacket, black pants. Two kids in tow.

See you there.

My kids are 12 and 9. They both ditched their skis are are snowboarding exclusively. Not yet on carving gear but they are definitely interested.

I second Mont-Ste-Anne, very nice. Wide trails, varying inclinations, not too crowded, but yes, quite cold. Another place worth trying is Le Relais near Québec. It is a small mountain (half of Stoneham, third of Ste-Anne), but they are some carvers that hang out there and the trails are good for carving.

Guest peterk

I've tried Sutton, Orford and Owl's Head. I'll take Jay Peak over all of them, but I suspect that was all a matter of timing.

Orford didn't do much for me... only a couple of runs that I was comfortable with (but it was icy when we were there)

Sutton was one of the worst days on a board... again I put it down to the conditions though. There are lots of runs that could be a blast with enough snow on them.

Owl's Head: it dumped snow on me both times I was there, I love it. It's what I'd call a "quaint" resort... not part of a chain, trying hard to do the right things, and doing a fair job of it.

Bromont: haven't been there yet, but it has the only night riding in the eastern townships.

I want to go to le Massif... I've heard it's awesome.

• 3 years later...

As an update to an old, old thread (I recycle!):

A bunch of school friends and I in Halifax are thinking of getting together a skiiing/boarding trip this winter break. The best options from our location seem to be Quebec or perhaps Vermont, but with the new, stricter border patrols, we're not sure if attempting to make the US crossing with 10+ university students in a bus would be the smartest idea, especially given the penchant for illicit substances to be smuggled on such trips!

So, Le Massif and/or Mont-Saint-Anne have all been recommended. We haven't looked into anything closely as of yet, but I figured I'd check around here and see if people had any updated thoughts on eastern-Quebec mountains. Of course I'm hoping to run a mostly alpine or freecarve/ride setup, so if I'm involved in this I might as well pick a mountain I'd have fun on. :cool:

Of course we also wouldn't mind having access to at least a little nightlife as well, so if anyone knows that this or that mountain literally exists in the Middle of Nowhere™, I'd appreciate the heads-up! ;)

greg

Actually, I grew up there as well! :p I lived in Irishtown, just across the bay from Corner Brook. I boarded at Marble from '91 to '98 or thereabouts, mostly riding freecarve/freeride boards with those 3-strap Burton bindings!

Marble's okay, but it's not actually that cheap to get across to the island; the ferry is damn expensive and sometimes unreliable (especially in winter), while flying is also pretty expensive, even from Halifax. Then we'd probably need to rent vehicle(s), and that's not cheap in NF either.

Plus, Marble's a nice hill, but I don't think it's in the same class as the Quebec hills. Tremblant, Mont-Saint-Anne, Le Massif are all much bigger/better hills as I understand it. And the weather is pretty unpredictable at Marble in the winter; you can get lots of snow, but lots of warm slushy weather as well, and then there's those stormy days that close the hill down entirely.....:D

greg