Note to New Members ×

We're having a COW!

two_ravens

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly,

We are still horribly maybes, but just wanted to check if you are still trying to get a house and what kind of deadline you need for that. H.B. is getting a little restless and is looking for some homie action.

Rocket

Yo, Rocket Man - I was thinking if the house thing didn't come together by early this week I would skip it. So far I haven't seen enough people commit to make me feel comfortable shelling out a bunch of $$$ for a house - my budget is pretty tight right now and I don't want to be left holding the bag on that deal. But - we might be able to do it last minute if everyone holds off on booking other rooms.... Hope you two can make it!!!!

Utahcarver - sorry you won't be coming. :( We'll try to make this an annual thing so people can plan ahead a little easier next year.... :D

Oh my gosh,

I'll try to live up to that Kessler Racer hype, probably won't.

I'll just be there to carve and have a blast.

And hopefully to learn more about carving, and to help my wife and I become better carvers.

Edited by boardguru

Ah, davekempmeister - sorry you won't be here! :( Maybe next year???

BigDogDave and I convened today for a little pre-COW session (umm.... does that make it a heifer? :) ) and found nice winter conditions still - hope it holds up for us until next week! And then we had to get a little western - the Headwall had been groomed - seriously steep stuff! So we put on our big-boy & -girl chaps and wrestled a few steers. Think Aztec steepness (over by Ruthie's) add narrow with trees.... BDD could hardly contain his grin, which got bigger with each lap. His new Oxcess is treating him well! :biggthump And the Raven board and I were finally reaching some kind of understanding.... :D

A good day was had by all - can't wait until the whole herd is here to do it again! :1luvu:

Glad to hear that the two of you were like the Rowdy Yates of this trail drive and checked out the grazing (carving) conditions. Sounds like it was fun.

I look at the 'Ghee site daily to check out conditions, and it looks good thru next Thurs. at least, no really warm temps so far.

We'll be "head em up and move em out" on early Thursday morning, should be there by 11: a.m. to check out the grazing conditions and look for anyone named Gil Favor.

YeeHaa

The rainbow carving herd is headed to Targhee!!!!

post-6122-14184239125_thumb.jpg

The herd wasn't big enough for me to reserve a house, but BigDogDave tells me that the Pines Motel in Driggs has some good rates for single occupancy. Phone 208-354-2774 or 800-354-2778.

Also looks like Teton Valley Cabins in Driggs have pretty reasonable rates for double occupancy and they are right on ski hill road. 208-354-8153 or 866-687-1522.

For the adventurous or psycho riders among us, I also saw a Bates Family Lodge listed.... 208-354-8555. I didn't call them for rates. :eek::eek::eek:

BDD also reports that the Ghee is now sporting spring conditions - morning very firm, afternoon mush. Do your snow dance, because Fri/Sat/Sun are supposed to be cloudy, which will mean no afternoon thaw... :mad: I'm really not excited about Snow King style world-cup snow conditions..... :smashfrea

Today I went to the Potato Museum and the Museum of Idaho. I got a free pint carton of Idaho's finest dehydrated hash browns. Now I know more about Idaho than people who know nothing about Idaho. This evening I'm bedding down in Jackson. Yes, I know I overshot Driggs, but I wanted to look around the town.

Remains of the "Hunt Hotel", Hunt, ID.

post-8519-14184239161_thumb.jpg

This is the reason Idaho Falls is called Idaho Falls.

post-8519-141842391614_thumb.jpg

Ominous warning sign on the way to the Tetons.

post-8519-141842391617_thumb.jpg

MOOOOO,,,Head em up, move em out,,RAWHIDE!!! I'd be there sooner if I could reach my stirrup,,damn short legs, or damn tall horse!! Hey Art, that pic of the falls, cross the river, 3 blocks and you'd been at my office..I'll be loading the pack mule tonight and hitting the trail at sunrise. Will meet up 10 ish at Dream Catcher with 2Ravens. Then do a little roping, a little branding, a little ear notching, maybe even a little dehorning, may have to use the squeeze chute for them big critters (ya, I grew up doing all that stuff for real!). Great times to be had!! See ye'all real soon now, ya hear!!

Edited by BigDogDave

We are presently living "High and Wide" at the Ghee! a little flat for lighting until about 1, but we still checked out some trails looking for rustlers. Looking forward to tomorrow and meeting the rest of the drovers.

YEEHAW!

Mick and Trish

I woke up in Jackson and looked around. With all the arty and touristy shops, it seems like far too many rich people hang out here. It has that Aspen or Vail feel that I'm not sure I like, but at least there aren't any parking meters on the street. Even just 3 days from the end of their season, Jackson Hole wants $99 to get on the hill. Over the pass to the Idaho side, Driggs is one sleepy little town. I think that population in Driggs is around 1700, while Jackson is well over 8000. Jackson has well developed municipal services including a recreation center. Driggs has a fire station. The locals in Driggs all claim that the snow at the Ghee is better than JH. The hotel staff says that the summer season here is busier than in winter.

Snow King rises above Jackson

post-8519-141842391621_thumb.jpg

JHMR

post-8519-141842391625_thumb.jpg

Dreamcatcher Lift at The Ghee

post-8519-141842391629_thumb.jpg

Howdy All,

Sorry to say Gloria and myself have contracted Mad Cow Disease ( the flu or a bad cold ), and have quarantined ourselfs from the rest of the herd. We will miss you guys, but will look forward to the daily reports.

Thanks Kelly for making COW happen as it is a great idea. If the Homies give you any trouble, HB has given BDD permission to give them the hot poker. Hope you guys have a great time, be safe, and carve a few for us will you?

Rocket and HB

PS: awesome travelog Art!

Well we had 5 drovers on the trails today, and it was Fun! A bit of braille riding on the first run, then rode a couple of other lifts and the visibility improved. Great meeting BigDogDave, Two Ravens and ExcelsiorTheFathead. Great people and another couple of days of rounding up all those stray doggies ahead for us, Yippee ki yi yay!

Boardguru having a cow. :)

post-6122-14184239167_thumb.jpg

This is what Hoback Canyon looked like this afternoon - too bad it wasn't the slide path known as "Cow of the Woods" (that is the next avalanche path that often crosses the road...) Hope we don't get another one of these in the night - if we do I might be late for the trail drive in the morning!

post-6122-141842391672_thumb.jpg

Heck Yeah, some of the best people to have a COW with! Looking forward to doing this again next year. Great mountain, fun and great people, what more can you ask for, other than more carvers next year to share this kind of roundup with. Yipee!