Note to New Members ×

Big White, end of Feb

Guest peterk

Guest peterk

Andrea and I are planning a trip to Big White this year, or more accurately I've been told to "make it happen" :-)

Does anyone have suggestions on places to stay or deals to be had? I'm also curious on what the slopes are like for carving.

adTHANKSvance...

Staying on the hill is the only way to go in Big White - it's a 50 minute drive from Kelowna and that road can get ugly. The village has everything you need - restaurants, groceries, booze - but of course you can find more and cheaper in town. We usually stock up on food and booze in Kelowna, drive up to our condo and park the car for the week.

Almost all of the condos are privately owned and rented out by people through agencies. Big White central reservations is the worst. They take about 40% off the top. If you google for Big White condo you'll find online agencies such as Owner Direct, which will usually hook you up for about 10%. I think last time we did this we paid about $225/night for a 3 bedroom ski-in/ski-out deal. Go for the Sunday-Thursday stay - the prices are jacked on the weekends.

Other than that, have fun - it's a great hill and there's something for everybody. There's super-nice blue run carving off the Ridge Rocket, and some great green/mild blue run carving off Black Forest. IIRC most of the black stuff was powdery or bumped up but that's cool by me. There is a great steep groomer skier's left off the Powder Chair, forget the name but it's easy to find. Don't go straight or right off that chair unless you like bumps and pow. I expect Shred will chime in anytime now - he probably has a better pure carving perspective, I'm some sort of alien hybrid rider.

I'm going to be in Kelowna Feb. 18-21 with some local carvers. Would be great to have some hard booting company.

Last year, we did Apex, Big White and Silver Star using Kelowna as a base. I didn't find the drive to be bad at all. We did luck out and get good weather though.

I liked all three resorts for different reasons. All three are carve friendly with wide groomers. Apex is a hidden gem.

Guest peterk

Great info, thanks!

ARCRider, Feb 26 - Mar 6 is the week we've set aside for the trip (sorry Skategoat). We have friends who live in Kelowna that we intend to visit which is why we're thinking of Big White. We're not tied to any particular resort, just looking for something that will be fun to carve up. Last year was Owl's Head (and my first carving experience, awesome). I do hope to avoid the cost of renting a car though, which implies staying at one resort.

Haven't heard anyone mention package deals at any of the resorts... is Sun Peaks likely to be cheaper (on top of less crowded and more fun)?

Silver Star is owned by the same folks as Big, I think I have some info on it somewhere.

And where is Apex? Don't know that I've even heard of it...

To get package deals, you usually have to go through central reservations. You're better off to book your accomodations as I mentioned, then get some lift ticket deal yourself (week pass, discount card, whatever). The discount cards are often the best deals for one week trips. The ones we just got for Panorama were $99, which bought us 3 days of skiing plus $15 discounts on any other days. Maybe Big White, Sun Peaks or Silverstar has a similar deal?

I don't think Sun Peaks will be any cheaper. But by all accounts it would be a great hill for you. Big White and Silverstar also have plenty of terrain for a new carver and both have undergone significant expansion and improvement in recent years. Big White is hyooge now. From what I recall of Apex it was much smaller and steeper, unless they've expanded (it's been 20 years since I've been there).

There was plenty of mountain at Apex for me. Lots of long, rolling cruiser runs. I think it was the closest to Kelowna but fleaman can confirm. I thought Silver Star (back side) was the steepest of the three. Big White had the most snow and most terrain and a lot of open, above-treeline riding. But, Big White is known locally as "Big White-out". Conditions there can be nasty.

Sun Peaks gets less snow but more sun. Less snow doesn't mean bad coverage, just less snow than Big White which is probably a good thing. A friend of mine just returned from there and loved it. However, it is a hefty drive from Kelowna. Gavin and Snow Performance has a condo there. He can refer you to the property manager he deals through. Or do a search here for "Sun Peaks" and you'll find the thread.

fleaman, we definitely have to meet up this time around. I'll be the one flailing around trying to keep up with Rob Crobar.

The Cliff is super-fun if there's lots of snow, it's a 10-15' cornice drop onto a 40+ degree pitch full of fluff, it's wide open and easy to arrest if you tumble. It flattens out into normal diamond pitch about halfway down. If it hasn't snowed in a while it can get bumped up but because it's a pain in the butt to get back to due to the lift system I haven't seen it get icy, which would be bad.

The chutes off Falcon are pretty narrow/steep and can get ugly bumps on them, I needed to jump-turn down some of the sections. They'd be more fun with more snow. Falcon doesn't seem to collect as much snow as some of the other chairs.

Kicking Horse has it all over Big White if that's the sort of stuff that turns yer crank (it does mine).

spent two weeks at big white last year - lots of intermediate carving with some steep stuff if you look for it - the cliff would definitely be challenging.

I had a ball on kalina's rainbow and powder gulch. We were there in the last two weeks of the season and for the last week had spring conditions with good hard ice in the morning. There is also some of flattish traversing in places which require a bit of pace and can catch you out if you don't go hard - the run out to the gem lake chair especially

In general a great place for a family trip and well worth the effort.

Guest Mike Ford

I think the name of the "steep Groomer riders left of the powder chair" would be 'surprise'. great run

If you're like me you'll spend most of your day around the powder chair. don't bother going down the emerald, it's just too flat

I'll probably be down that way at the end of april, so don't use up all the good snow

M

And where is Apex? Don't know that I've even heard of it...

Apex is Penticton's resort. It is about 1.5 hours south of Kelowna. It is a true riders destination. Some really good cruising runs and lots of steep powder and tree runs. If you have an all mountain board, Apex was made for them.

fleaman, we definitely have to meet up this time around. I'll be the one flailing around trying to keep up with Rob Crobar.

It would be my pleasure.

Guest peterk

I think I could spend the next couple of years just exploring / confirming the info here y'all have provided. All of these mountains sounds great. Guess I need to toss a coin and pick the spot for this trip.

Lots of long rollers, green and easy blues, and maybe some powder... these are the things of my dreams :)

oh, and 6 nights in BW village for under $700 seems possible! I'm liking it...

Now, to arrange a private jet to get there ;)

my wife and I will be based at silverstar. we'll be visiting our kids. They're working there this season. if I get to sunpeaks it will only be a day trip

If you decide on siverstar let me know.

Big white has something for everyone, but like has been mentioned its nickname is big whiteout. One of the places where I've experienced total disorientation. Couldn't see the end of my nose. I didn't think the upper lift should even have been open.

Although a good thing came from that day. Since I couldn't ski the upper mountain I rented a snowboard and contented myself with learning to ride on the lower mountain. Thinking back about it that was the day I retired from skiing.

Originally posted by skategoat

There was plenty of mountain at Apex for me. Lots of long, rolling cruiser runs. I think it was the closest to Kelowna but fleaman can confirm. I thought Silver Star (back side) was the steepest of the three. Big White had the most snow and most terrain and a lot of open, above-treeline riding. But, Big White is known locally as "Big White-out". Conditions there can be nasty.

Sun Peaks gets less snow but more sun. Less snow doesn't mean bad coverage, just less snow than Big White which is probably a good thing. A friend of mine just returned from there and loved it. However, it is a hefty drive from Kelowna. Gavin and Snow Performance has a condo there. He can refer you to the property manager he deals through. Or do a search here for "Sun Peaks" and you'll find the thread.

Actually- I'm the Snowperformance guy who owns the condo at Sun Peaks, not Gavin. I'm planning to do the Summit session in Feb but might try to get up to Sun Peaks for a few days in late Feb/early March. If I do I'll post it here. If I have extra room I would be happy to let a few folks stay over. The place is ski in/out and there is a shuttle service from Kamloops so you don't need wheels at the resort- probably need a car to get there from Kelowna though. The conditions up there have been fantastic from pretty much the beginning of the season.

-Sean

:cool:

Originally posted by Mike Ford

I think the name of the "steep Groomer riders left of the powder chair" would be 'surprise'. great run

That's it, thanks! That's got one of the nicest pitches for carving ever, nice and wide too. And usually near- empty.

If you're like me you'll spend most of your day around the powder chair.

I love that chair, too, but I'm usually over on Shakey Knees or whatever that other bump run is. I'll take Surprise for a rest after a few runs of bumps have wreaked havoc with my legs.

hey sean

if you've got the room I could easily be convinced to do two days at sunpeaks. never been there. any recommendations for discounted tickets

I'll probably meet you in Aspen. this Kelowna trip was unexpected

and peterk

I'll split car rental if it would be mutually convenient for a quick trip to sunpeaks. my plans are to spend the week at silverstar base without a car and rent one for a day or two to go to the peaks.

Guest peterk

And all we got here in Ontario was a couple of cm :(

I'm going out this weekend, even if it rains!

Seriously though, these are great offers and I am equally surprised/impressed/encouraged by the generous nature of them... I'm just a "junior" here but I appreciate the sense of community.

Back on topic...

BW vs SS -- anyone have the magic coin toss to decide? They both sound great, and I suspect it will be the conditions that week that make the difference. In looking at the trail maps I see one whole side of SS that's mostly black trails, should I care? (or is the other side more than enough to keep us happy?). BW seems to have a lot more green/blue.

If we decide on BW -- I'd still like to find a way to hook up, even for a day. I noticed that the lift pass seems to be good at both resorts, that would make it easy for us to head over to SS for a day...

Rent a car for a day -- if we can hook up of a day trip we are definitely in. Not sure about multiple days though, my experience has been that time flies and so I'm cautious about committing too much of it.

Apex -- it sounds like a dream I have yet to have, y'all are way ahead of me (last time I was in glades it took a couple of weeks to recover! And that was on a freeride, not a carve board.)

Kids -- yup. I am at the point where I'm really enjoying their company. Smart, good looking, great company. And of course I'm totally unbiased :D

If I could do only one mountain, I'd do Big White. Just for the sheer size of it and for the open bowls that you won't find at either Apex or Silver Star.

The Putnam Creek face of Silver Star is mostly black diamond but there were a couple of blue cruisers that I really enjoyed. Also, it was practically empty on that side and it was a weekend. Also, there was a cool little restaurant at the peak on that side that had great food and atmosphere.

Even if you never head over to Putnam, there is plenty of runs on the Vance Creek side. I don't think you'll tire of them.

Guest peterk

One vote in... and I appreciate the candor! I know that even top five lists are tough to agree on (any High Fidelity fans out there?), picking "the" one is really going out there.

And with any luck I'll look for you, Rob and various kids at MSLM. I'll be on the wide runs near the park at the far right end, with a confused look on my face :) Not sure who else will be coming along yet...

Peter, see if you can get over the St. Louis side. Apparently, a bunch of hard booters will be riding Timberline.

I also like the two peak runs - Stretcher and Turkey Shoot. Both have to be abandoned by late morning since they get a ton of traffic.

Going to bed now to get first tracks!