Note to New Members ×

Seniors on Motorcycles - a Good Idea?

boarderboy

I agree with most of the points made in that article in regards to being more prone to injury and increased reaction times. Motorcycles are incredibly unforgiving and I've seen too many much younger riders turned into wet piles of hamburger meat. I see nothing wrong with older folk out riding around as long as you know your limits, be realistic in your expectations and accept that your final ride will happen one day, either by choice or by fate.

(from the comments) There is great prejudice towards motorcycle riding at any age. Fall off your horse, bash your brains out skiing, break your bones crashing your bicycle while wearing spandex and shorts or die of many of the risks involved in scuba diving and it is a tragedy. Get injured or die on your motorcycle - you are an irresponsible fool and idiot taking too much risk. It's just the way things are.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

This is an interesting one. Everything slows down as you get older, for sure. And there's no doubt that you get hurt worse, and take much longer to recover, than you would if you were younger.

I do wonder how many accidents are attributable to mid life crisis syndrome - because I know a number of guys who had never ridden in their lives, who decided to buy a bike and go riding in their 40's. Most of the bikes were 500lb cruiser behemoths that would be a handful for anyone, much less an out of shape couch surfer. I think only one of them went to a learn to ride course - the rest were "she'll be right, it's a bike, how hard can it be ..." and that IS a level of irresponsibility I have little respect for. I took up riding again last summer after 15 years off, and going back to school was the first thing on my agenda. That, and buying a suitable bike.

I also cringe when I see seniors (and some not so seniors) wearing pudding basin helmets and jeans, because that's what they rode in when they were young-uns. That's all well and good, but it's not going to save your ass when that Harley goes down the road. A little personal responsibility goes a long way.

A couple years ago i'm driving up a 2 lane 60mph road in Scotland. the road was quiet, nothing behind or in front, could see for a long stretch...then along comes a guy on a motor bike doing a wheelie over-taking me at about 65mph:D

I couldn't help but whoop and cheer out the window, once I caught up...so he done another one:biggthump

Yes you can call me irresponsible..it really was amazing to see so close up..:rolleyes:

A similar story, one summer day, i'm driving along an up-and-down, slightly scary road by Left ski centre...in the opposite direction, over the brow of the hill, coming towards me, is about 8 super-fast cars...I was mesmerised watching them blur past and the sound of the engines' roar was amazing ...

..I find moments like these are treasured:eplus2:

Edited by floBoot