Note to New Members ×

Contour+ Suction Cup Mount for Snowboards?

SingleWhiteLine

I've just bought my first helmet cam from ebay at a cheap price. I'm thinking of mounting it to the topsheet of my carving board but I don't want to destroy the top sheet with the sticky surfboard mount or helmet mount. Does anybody have any experience with the suction cup mounts on a carving board?

I'm worried about the board flex causing the suction to "burp".

SWL

I've just bought my first helmet cam from ebay at a cheap price. I'm thinking of mounting it to the topsheet of my carving board but I don't want to destroy the top sheet with the sticky surfboard mount or helmet mount. Does anybody have any experience with the suction cup mounts on a carving board?

I'm worried about the board flex causing the suction to "burp".

SWL

i have a gopro and have been pretty successful keeping it on the board's topsheet. what i've done is purchase 3M spongey 2-way tape (with the red peel) and cut pieces to the exact size of what is already provided on the mount. use an xacto knife or razor and don't touch the adhesive. place the supplemental tape flush onto the adhesive surface of the tape provided with the mount and then apply to the board's topsheet (clean, dry, warm).

after a few hours weighting or clamping, put a bead of clear silicone around the edge of the mount. use sparingly and make it low profile, with equal amounts on the board surface and the edge of the mount. going really thin with it leaves room for a 2nd layer although i don't know if there is really any benefit to another bead.

anyway, this works and the removal is labor intensive (hair dryer, hotel room card keys, alcohol wipes and effort) but leave no trace (really). the weak link becomes the plastic "clip" that connects the camera's poly casing with the mount. those have snapped on me when it's icy and i get into a crazy chatter situation. the videos use the same technique (thanks Shawndoggy) - one on a metal topsheet and manmade,firm & icy conditions. the other is on an old burton on softer natural snow.

Edited by davekempmeister