Note to New Members ×

January 2013 snow conditions in Summit County ?

bjvircks

Please forgive me if this subject has been beat to death already... I've been away from Bomber for quite a while.

I find myself in in Breckenridge Jan 5 thru Jan 11 (out of the blue a friend of my wife is letting us have their condo for the week).

Anyway... We get here and find mountains not fully open, etc. What resorts within 1 hour drive at most from Breck are in best shape for carving?

BC still got cookies?

The last time I was at BC I had a humerous thing happen. Background: If I have a long way to walk and I have both board and skis to carry I will strap board to my pack vertical, strap skis to pack sides 'A frame' and sling hardboots over top of pack. Then I hoist the heavy load get going.

I was on patio at the base and had just started to walk out. The walkway was about 4 people wide. Coming straight at me three across, filling the whole walkway, was a three-some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. They were decked out in furs, etc, hair was perfect and makeup stunning. They would yield absolutely nothing in their strut. They would not make eye contact as they approached, filling the entire walkway. The attitude I percieved from them was "We are beautiful!!! On this alone... the whole world must get the hell out of our way!"

Edited by bjvircks

I was at Beaver Creek on Thursday and found the conditions.....lacking. Crap snow right now, sadly. 2 hours and you're in Aspen, where we have had more snow than the I-70 corridor. Carving is pretty nuts. Hit me up by PM if I can help out.

Normally BC has awesome grooming, and they are making do with what they have.

BC still got cookies?

I was on patio at the base and had just started to walk out. The walkway was about 4 people wide. Coming straight at me three across, filling the whole walkway, was a three-some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. They were decked out in furs, etc, hair was perfect and makeup stunning. They would yield absolutely nothing in their strut. They would not make eye contact as they approached, filling the entire walkway. The attitude I percieved from them was "We are beautiful!!! On this alone... the whole world must get the hell out of our way!"

Thats when you stop in the middle of the walk, stare straight ahead, stand motionless and drool. that should get them out of your way. I cannot abide that sense of privilage.

mario

Thanks, folks... keep the information coming! Some guys in the hot tub tonight said Vail was very good. (one guy was skier, one was softbooter... said back bowls were good. I'm with wife (skier) and stepson (softbooter). Me... I switch between skis and carving board.

How far and tough is the mid-week drive to Winter Park? We've got a few Shell gas station buy-one-get-one-free coupons that are good at Copper, Winter Park and a few other places.

Hey, Fin... it would be great to get in a few turns with the guys responsible for my setup (TD3 & Donek FCII metal) but I've been out voted. :mad: We were at A-Basin on Saturday and I found some stuff I liked. We've decided to head to Winter Park and make use of our 2for1.

It is kind of tough finding my legs again. These are the first days back on a board for me since mid-season last year. Wife and I have been busy speed skating ice short track, long track and inline marathons and so carving has taken a back seat. There is just something exciting about setting the edge and laying it over, whether it is on a board, skates or skis. It is strange adjusting to a different weight management paradigm. On speed skates you push thru your foot center, on a carving board I drive my shin forward which can spell disaster on skates.

gotta run, bus is leaving in 10 min.