Note to New Members ×

Info on concussions

monodude

Many of us have had a concussion at some point in our life. Alpine riding can hand out some bad ones. Every season I see the posts of someone who got one or know somebody how got one.

I have had 4 or 5. Like many I think... I feel fine and the doctor is just being overly cautious. I'm no exception, with excuses like, "I'll take it easy today", I'm riding with the kids it'll be ok", "I feel fine", "It isn't a bad one", etc...

Here's a link about the possible effects of not following the Doctor's orders.

http://http://www.everydayhealth.com/kids-health/0102/second-hit-leaves-young-football-player-in-wheelchair.aspx?xid=aol_eh-news_4_20130101_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl27%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D251960

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

Wow thanks for the info. I never thought something that bad could happen so easily after a concussion. I have hit my head really hard a few times (never knew if it was a concussion or not though) and have gone out to ride the next day. Thanks man!

It is very important to give the brain time to heal, keeping in mind the topic Don raised is specifically in relation to young people second injury cases.

The case study illustrates why it's so important to prevent a second impact and give a young brain the chance to rest and recover, another expert said.

"Second impact syndrome is a very rare phenomenon. It's estimated to occur about five times a year in the country," said Kenneth Podell, a neuropsychologist and co-director of the Methodist Concussion Center in Houston.

Yes, thanks for info...but very sad to read about the young lad:(

I have hit my head off ice and had a black eye and bruising..never occurred to me to stop snowboarding....

What about whip lash?...does anyone think if that's severe enough it could cause problems too? i've had many severe headaches and strained neck muscles ...

Side note on related head trauma issues. Retinal detachment and or tear can be or is sometimes considered more likely after hard blows to the head.

Typically they do not have a cause, only consider it a higher probability. For everyones info: If you see a sudden increase in eye "floaters" , "flashes" or a dark "curtain" do not hesitate , do not delay, your sight may be at stake.

• 1 month later...
What about whip lash?...does anyone think if that's severe enough it could cause problems too?

Serious enough . . . one can suffer a concussion caused by whiplash without actually losing consciousness. My symptoms on the hill included loss of memory pre and post knockdown. Also perseverating, repeating the same question ("I was in an accident?") over and over despite my wife telling me the answer each time. Almost a week later and I'm still monitoring for any further symptoms. One can only dare imagine not wearing a helmet.

I was standing beside a guy who took a beater at 130 kph in a race. Everything was fine, just fine. Then he pauses, looks himself over and asks me, Why am I in ski clothes? Have I been skiing? EMT's had all kinds of tests for him.

If you really get pounded I think its a good time to go for coffee. In half an hour you'll have a better idea if you should save some nice turns for another day.