Note to New Members ×

Facts About Skiing/Snowboarding Safety from Nat'l Ski Areas Assoc.

Pat Donnelly

Thanks for that, Pat. Interesting factoid from the report:

The reason for the increase in mid-shaft tibial fractures appears to be due to a decline in the functional properties of the ski-binding-boot systems.

There is nothing else in the report regarding this, but taken on face value binding safety is getting worse for skiers? How is that possible?

Thanks Pat.

I found it interesting that

"...research also confirmed that alpine skiers are three times more likely to be involved in a collision with other people than snowboarders."
(7.7% to 2.6% apparently).

I wonder why that is? I had always assumed that snowboarders would potentially be responsible for more collisions due to our blind spot.

Maybe knowing we have one makes us more careful about it?

Dave

Thanks for that, Pat. Interesting factoid from the report:

There is nothing else in the report regarding this, but taken on face value binding safety is getting worse for skiers? How is that possible?

Good question, that seems odd. I could believe that more people are using higher DIN settings and therefore not releasing when they crash, but it's hard to imagine that binding performance / characteristics are getting worse over time.

• 2 weeks later...