Michelle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Here's a recipe I came up with as an alternative entree for a Christmas dinner we hosted for friends ranging from paleos to vegans. I am calling it Savory Tofu for lack of a better name.

Preheat oven to 350F

Combine in a mixing bowl, blender or food processor and chop finely, as for a tapenade:

3 oz dry shiitake mushrooms (Chinese), soaked in boiling water briefly to soften, but not too soggy, and drained well.

1Tbsp brewers yeast

1Tbsp finely chopped sundried tomatoes (oil-packed)

1.5 Tbsp Braggs Amino Acids sauce

2 tsp key lime juice

Prepare:

1.5 Tbsp finely chopped garlic

1 sprig (or ~1tsp) each rosemary and 1/2 tsp or a few leaves sage, ground or finely chopped

4 green onions, chopped

1 lb package extra firm tofu, drained and cubed ~10mm

Smoked salt to taste

Olive oil

In a 10" - 12" skillet, saute the garlic in 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat until golden, add the spices and onions, then the mushrooms, tomatoes, yeast and aminos blend, turn down the heat, cover and simmer for a few minutes. Check and remove the cover if needed to reduce moisture so there's barely any free liquid. Fold in the tofu and salt and toss well but gently to not break up the cubes. Place the skillet in the oven and finish for about 20-30 minutes (check for dryness and cover if desired to keep it moist).

The dish has a lot of umami flavor and makes a pretty robust entree. I managed to get the moisture level low enough that it didn't come off as a stew, but something easy to eat with a fork. I think some smoked paprika might be good in it. Smoked salt really contributes a lot to the flavor, but don't overdo it as the amino sauce tastes fairly salty. The dish was well received by the vegans and made a tasty complement to a pork crown roast butterflied and stuffed with orange gingerbread, apples, onions, garlic, rosemary and sage.

Enjoy, and post any suggested improvements.

Here's a little something that I made for Christmas gifts http://www.pinterest.com/pin/361906520027260201/. One of the wonderful ladies at the post office can't have refined sugar, so I made these for her. she loves them!

I also made this right before Christmas http://www.peakholistichealth.com/yam-and-peanut-stew-kale. It's hearty and healthy and I LOVED it!

• 3 weeks later...

Michelle I love the Halloween graveyard:biggthump...chocolate and coconut a great mix ...sometimes I make this combination as truffles..yum

Ohd, I've been meaning to buy smoked paprika and yes you can buy bacon sprinkles that are vegan...on occasions I put vegan bacon into yellow split pea soup..this is a Scottish soup but obviously done with smokey bacon..quite delicious:) I hope the Vegans are still alive;) that would have been some shopping list and menu planning:eek:

Edited by floBoot

yes you can buy bacon sprinkles that are vegan...
floBoot thanks! It was fun to make but I think people decided it was not edible so I brought it home with no one having touched it. :(

Bacon bits are almost always vegan - did you know you are eating soy when you eat those? They are horribly bad for you - TVP (textured vegetable protein) with tons of salt and chemicals. I only ever eat them when I'm camping, and then sparingly. However, vegans REJOICE! Coconut bacon is on the market, and although I haven't tried it I'm super excited to do so.

http://theunintentionalvegan.com/phoney-baloney-coconut-bacon-review

post-49-141842405977_thumb.jpg

Michelle, you are so right about the bacon sprinkles..I've not bought them before, however I do now and again fancy a bacon/lentil soup or sandwich where I suppose they are TVP rashers.

Amazing coconut rashers and how coincidental, well I'll be looking out for them over here-thanks:)

What a shame no one ate your master piece...it looked too good to eat- that was the problem:biggthump...I felt quite partial to a headstone myself:p

With some new space and a kitchen under development I am doing more cooking at home. Most of which probably doesn't really qualify as "Cooking" :)

Here is one of my recent creations. Corel plate, 6 Potato and onion pierogies, spinach leaves, sweet peppers stuffed with pepper jack cheese and walnuts. Arranged the pierogies like a flower divided by stuffed sweet peppers, layered with spinach , then cheese , mushrooms, garlic cloves , walnuts (two kind) and then broil. Not sure what to call it or categorize it but boy I am sure I have some serious garlic breath!!

:flamethro

Bryan

[ATTACH]37317[/ATTACH]

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com