Note to New Members ×

Need info on some Head boots please

big canuck

correct link:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=59768&item=5150832190&rd=1

I was considering a pair of those and Curt at Starting Gate said they only sold those to lighter riders and women.

doesnt mean its a no-go but if youre a big dude they might not be the boot for you. Look for the LTD is what I was told (Im 6'2", 205 or so...) or the Stratos Pro

Seems there are a couple of different schools of thought out there on boot stiffness.

Clearly many of us are riding rather stiff boots - Indy/Af700, Stratos LTD/Pro, Suzuka/AF600.

I'm 200 pounds w/ my riding get-up on, and I still prefer the 423's or the 225's w/ the softer of the two tongues. This was reinforced at SnowPerformance camp, where they had just about everyone including me riding in walk mode so they could flex as deeply as they could at the ankles... their style is to use all the joints to get as angulated as you can.

Learning the "Snowperformance style" has given me a lot to work with, especially being able to carve on a wider varierty of runs and conditions, so I'm staying with softer boots for now. If I get a true hero-snow day I might put the stiff tongues back in for a day and lay out more but that's probably the exception rather than the rule at least for this season.

So depending on your style, the "plain" Stratos might work well for you anyway! FWIW I felt the Stratos LTD, *even in walk mode*, were far too restrictive and I couldn't get angulated. I probably could have made them work if I felt like tweaking my stance to perfection and changing my riding style...

Originally posted by Mike T

Seems there are a couple of different schools of thought out there on boot stiffness.

Clearly many of us are riding rather stiff boots - Indy/Af700, Stratos LTD/Pro, Suzuka/AF600.

I'm 200 pounds w/ my riding get-up on, and I still prefer the 423's or the 225's w/ the softer of the two tongues. This was reinforced at SnowPerformance camp, where they had just about everyone including me riding in walk mode so they could flex as deeply as they could at the ankles... their style is to use all the joints to get as angulated as you can.

Learning the "Snowperformance style" has given me a lot to work with, especially being able to carve on a wider varierty of runs and conditions, so I'm staying with softer boots for now. If I get a true hero-snow day I might put the stiff tongues back in for a day and lay out more but that's probably the exception rather than the rule at least for this season.

So depending on your style, the "plain" Stratos might work well for you anyway! FWIW I felt the Stratos LTD, *even in walk mode*, were far too restrictive and I couldn't get angulated. I probably could have made them work if I felt like tweaking my stance to perfection and changing my riding style...

Just to clarify things, our style of teaching is to look at each rider and, if necessary, tweak their setup with respect to boots, binders and deck that allows them to ride efficiently and effectively. The reason we messed around with alot of peoples' boots at this particular camp was because we had alot of folks riding with extremely stiff flex and stiffness settings which didn't allow their ankles to flex. To add to what Mike was talking about with regard to ankle flex: our goal was not so much to have everyone max out their ankle joint but rather to allow for a more natural "soft" stance over the deck with evenly flexed knees, ankles and hips. As I think all who attended would agree, this is great for all day and all terrain riding.

-Sean

I learnt hardbooting on the Head/Blax Stratos. They are nice and flexy, but my riding improved a lot when I got a pair of Raichle 423s. I'm 170 lbs.

I ride the Raichles in "powder" mode, with the walk lever flipped down and the little dial at 90 degrees. The Raichle 5-step lean adjuster is way too stiff. It locks the cuff in place and gives no way to flex forward other than deforming all that plastic. I prefer the spring system that Head uses. That way you can have a boot that has some lateral stiffness, but can still flex forwards nice and easily.

The problem with the Stratos was that it doesn't have any lateral stiffness. There isn't enough support to keep the board up on it's edge. I think they make great boots for riding on freeride boards at shallow angles though. The lack of lateral stiffness becomes a positive at shallow angles, and you can ride them just like soft boots, but carve with far more power. I rode them on a powder day last season at angles of 40f/20r on a 25 cm wide board, and it was a fun setup in both powder and on the groomed.

"I'm really starting to question this stiffer-is-better school of thought too."

The stiffer the better is NOT working for me either. Switched over from raichle to Heads. Should have done this last year. on advice of a fellow carver started riding them in walking mode (first only the rear and later both boots) and suddenly I could carve way better and get way lower in the curves. But I guess there is no golden rule.