Note to New Members ×

Whistler Diaries 2012/2013

Gtanner

Same deal for Whistler.

Yesterday Nov 25th:

9:30 am start and a shorter day so that we could watch the Grey Cup. Tool of the day: Pri-bor (Prior MFR w Arbor Element topsheet), Nidecker 900s & Palmer PLS.

Rode on Whistler only, soft-pack and pretty crowded (expected for the US holiday weekend). Great weather, no wind, -5, sunny. Good conditions, a few thins spots, only the upper mountain is open, no Alpine nor anything lower than Mid-station. Some folks were hiking up toward Peak Chair, but there were more rocks showing through than normal.

Overall, it was nice to get a good day in in November.

-Gord

• 4 weeks later...

Friday Dec 14th

Bluebird day, -7ish with light winds. No major crowds and enjoyed the day on 7th Heaven.

I must admit, the tools of the day were skis...I know for shame.

Overall, coverage was pretty good. Any off-piste stuff, you had to wait for the trees to ensure enough coverage.

-Gord

Friday Dec 14th

Bluebird day, -7ish with light winds. No major crowds and enjoyed the day on 7th Heaven.

I must admit, the tools of the day were skis...I know for shame.

Overall, coverage was pretty good. Any off-piste stuff, you had to wait for the trees to ensure enough coverage.

-Gord

Share some pics, please (on a carving deck thou...;)

RT

Sunday - Dec 23rd

17+cm of fresh

Rode the Pri-Bor all day. It was a lovely leg-burning day. Cloudy, but the snow was just too good to stay away. Dry, fluffy awesomeness.

Rode Whistler all day, did a lap of Peak-Creek to start off the day, and played in the trees all afternoon. Overall, not busy at all which was surprising.

Wednesday - Dec 26th

"Oh god, boxing day is going to be busy"....yeah not so much, 5 min wait was the longest lineup we had, although we didn't hang around the beginner lifts. There were definitely the "I just got this for Christmas" type of skiers/boarders around.

Sun/cloud, ~7cm of new fluff. Played in Symphony and Harmony for most of the day. Some questionable coverage in areas that are more succeptible to wind.

I was up there on Boxing day, too. I saw a couple of carvers running from the Symphony chair. I wanted to say hi but being on softies, I naturally couldn't catch up. That was probably you, Gtanner.

I told myself I was going to take it easy that day, but I couldn't help hiking up flute summit once there was a break in the clouds. The drop from the summit was just immaculate, with pillow lines like the ones you see from movies. I had to admire the lines before ducking into the trees.

I ripped my favourite pair of gloves in the glades, too. Trying to keep my speed when all of a sudden there was a thickish branch in my line just above the snow. If I ollie over it, I'll be wrapped around a tree. If I stop, I'll get stuck. If I... *thwack*. Too late, I thought about it too long and I ended up shoving it out of the way. Ripped a good part off the palm but better that than a chunk of flesh.

Anyone heading up there this weekend?

I was up there on Boxing day, too. I saw a couple of carvers running from the Symphony chair. I wanted to say hi but being on softies, I naturally couldn't catch up. That was probably you, Gtanner.

I told myself I was going to take it easy that day, but I couldn't help hiking up flute summit once there was a break in the clouds. The drop from the summit was just immaculate, with pillow lines like the ones you see from movies. I had to admire the lines before ducking into the trees.

I ripped my favourite pair of gloves in the glades, too. Trying to keep my speed when all of a sudden there was a thickish branch in my line just above the snow. If I ollie over it, I'll be wrapped around a tree. If I stop, I'll get stuck. If I... *thwack*. Too late, I thought about it too long and I ended up shoving it out of the way. Ripped a good part off the palm but better that than a chunk of flesh.

Anyone heading up there this weekend?

Probably Sunday and/or Monday. Plan will be to carve for a few hours in the morning until the crowds show up...then I'll probably switch to skis for the afternoon. I'll post my plans when we know more tomorrow.

-Gord

Probably Sunday and/or Monday. Plan will be to carve for a few hours in the morning until the crowds show up...then I'll probably switch to skis for the afternoon. I'll post my plans when we know more tomorrow.

-Gord

Aiming for 8:45ish at Creekside Gondola. not 100% sure of whether or not we'll stay on Whistler. If we do, will probably be cycling around Saddle and Red Chair till noon-ish or when the crowds show.

If we head to Blackcomb (via peak/peak) will be at 7th or Solar Coaster.

604-653-seven five two seven If you are on the mountain. It looks like a cool/sunny day!

-Gord

Hung around Blackcomb today in the Crystal/Jersey area. Mix of sun and cloud but visibility was excellent for most of the day - looking even better tomorrow. Ridge runner was fantastic for ripping. Hardly any wait at the chairs.

Have fun tomorrow, Gord. Unfortunately, I can't make it tomorrow. I hope to catch you Monday/Tuesday.

Was on Blackcomb today. Bluebird, cool and BUSY!!!! I got about 5 runs in on 7th (epic) before heading to the car to change over from plates. Just too many people for carving. My legs were shot though! Enjoyed the afternoon on two-planks.

Probably won't be heading up tomorrow, my wife's knee is bothering her so we may just have a chill day.

Have fun though and prepare for lines and lotsa people!

-Gord

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be at Whistler for a week starting this Saturday, staying near the Blackcomb base. If anyone happens to be around and wants to get in a few runs and/or a barley pop and some grazing, get in touch. Text to five-oh-niner, trey double six, onesey, twosey eightysix. Looks like things might be kind of firm if the inversion blows out.

We'll not be getting to W until mid-afternoon, what with visiting an old climbing buddy in Bellingham, doing the border thing, picking up groceries and getting checked in and unpacked. Are you there for the weekend?

Not sure you'll have much time to ride as the lifts nearest to the gondola close at 3 (or is it 3:30?). I'm there until the lifts close and my bus back to the city leaves at about 4. I'd be glad to knock back a couple of beers with you though. I'll text you either way.

I'm heading up Cypress on Sunday to pick up gear from BlueB, also to get some turns in. You're more than welcome to join us.

Sunday, our first day , was excellent! We stayed on Blackcomb all day, enjoying substantially clear weather after a high haze burned off. Snow was firm but not icy, grooming was pretty good most of the area. Light was kind of flat in Glacier Basin early but the crowd was light. The public race course was open so I got in a few runs.

Aside: It baffles me why a) the public courses GMC and Nastar run don't use snowboard gates - safer for casual skiers without face, shin and arm protection and of course for us, and b) why all the resorts that pour money and risk exposure into playground equipment can't even lay a brushie ,course for casual use by the public.

Anyway, the snow stayed fine all day. The 7th Heaven bump runs Angel Dust and Sunburn were in perfect condition by mid afternoon, and we took one run down Big Bang, doing a bit of tiptoeing over rocks near the top.

My Coiler AM VSR proved wonderfully versatile , thanks Bruce!

The grooming was fabulous through tuesday. Unfortunately, I hit a rut kind of flat-footed on the last run of the day, about a mile from the Blackcomb base and put my Donek 184 GS into walk mode. A serious bummer as I have really liked that board for big fast cruising. It's taken on powder and reasonable bump runs as well without the slightest indication of any sort of weakness and has been a great medium for finally getting the heelside carve working well, plus it looked really cool, and I went and broke it. Oh well - as a passerby said at the bottom after I'd walked it out, "Now you get to buy a new board!"

My Coiler AM VSR covered capably in deteriorating visibility and increasingly lumpy dust-on-crust yesterday but a couple of toes were sore enough by the end of the day that I opted for the freewheel skis today. It's snowed hard all afternoon so tomorrow may find the Venture Zephyr out for the first time this trip.

I have been here a number of times and every time I'm more impressed with the scale, variety and quality of the whole show. You could get bored riding nothing but the groomers here for a week, but bring a quiver to cover steeps/bumps, powder bowls ranging from big cornice drops to miles of cruising, and a huge expanse of forest/glade riding, and you'll leave giggling and exhausted (unless it gets really warm and rainy - which can happen). Even if it rains at the base it is not unusual to have good powder and lots of it up high, and sometimes you pop up out of the clouds and muck into the most amazingly beautiful alpine environment. Or into the most amazing alpine storm... It's a couple of big mountains, and even with the nice lodges, fast lifts, weekend crowds and spiffy gear you can experience a real sense of awe and wonder in quite a few places - then rip another run that will shine through the fog in your dotage..

The grooming was fabulous through tuesday. Unfortunately, I hit a rut kind of flat-footed on the last run of the day, about a mile from the Blackcomb base and put my Donek 184 GS into walk mode. A serious bummer as I have really liked that board for big fast cruising. It's taken on powder and reasonable bump runs as well without the slightest indication of any sort of weakness and has been a great medium for finally getting the heelside carve working well, plus it looked really cool, and I went and broke it. Oh well - as a passerby said at the bottom after I'd walked it out, "Now you get to buy a new board!"

My Coiler AM VSR covered capably in deteriorating visibility and increasingly lumpy dust-on-crust yesterday but a couple of toes were sore enough by the end of the day that I opted for the freewheel skis today. It's snowed hard all afternoon so tomorrow may find the Venture Zephyr out for the first time this trip.

I have been here a number of times and every time I'm more impressed with the scale, variety and quality of the whole show. You could get bored riding nothing but the groomers here for a week, but bring a quiver to cover steeps/bumps, powder bowls ranging from big cornice drops to miles of cruising, and a huge expanse of forest/glade riding, and you'll leave giggling and exhausted (unless it gets really warm and rainy - which can happen). Even if it rains at the base it is not unusual to have good powder and lots of it up high, and sometimes you pop up out of the clouds and muck into the most amazingly beautiful alpine environment. Or into the most amazing alpine storm... It's a couple of big mountains, and even with the nice lodges, fast lifts, weekend crowds and spiffy gear you can experience a real sense of awe and wonder in quite a few places - then rip another run that will shine through the fog in your dotage..

High overcast today. There was a bit of new snow. I was excited to get to tinkering with the F2 bindings that I scored off the classifieds. Turns out I was missing a bolt for the toe shims so I spent much of the morning casing the hardware stores and the ski/snowboard shops in the village for a spare bolt. Amid the weird stares from the ski/snowboard techs, it's no big surprise that I wasn't able to find a match.

I ran flat for a couple of runs. It didn't feel too weird; there just wasn't enough leverage on the front toe. Then I figured I wouldn't need new bolts for the toe shims if I just installed half of them. So in the shims went as well as the heel shim. What a difference that made to give toe-sides that extra bite. I don't think I'm going back to my crappy Burton race after that.

Still, I'm not quite dialed-in. On the flats, I can't stay in a relaxed and neutral position without the tail wanting to slide out from under me. Boris, if you're reading this, you have to tell me how you and Roy set up your Snowpros on my board last week.

It was still a great day despite the crowds. A turny board and a lot of legwork make up for it. I :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu::1luvu: my new ride.

Boris, if you're reading this, you have to tell me how you and Roy set up your Snowpros on my board last week.

About 3mm of toe lift front, 6mm heel lift back, no cant, ~20.25" stance.

I THINK that front was just over 45 and back just under 40, or somwhere like that...

Both boots were a bit too biased towards heel edge for my taste, but that's the only way we could do with UPZ 25 and medium Snowpros...

Don't quite dismiss the Race Plates yet. You actually can add a home made shim between the toe block and the base plate. They are more flexi then F2, so you probably could use them as freeride bindings. That rear wedge gives you inward cant and heel lift, which is what you rode on my Nidecker, with super low rear angle 25~30...

Edited by BlueB

• 2 weeks later...

Feb 2/3 weekend:

Feb 2 - gorgeous blue-bird day. No new snow for awhile. Rode Blackcomb all day. Morning tool; Coiler 173cm VSR (love it), afternoon on softies F2 WC Eliminator. I met up with a guy on a late 90's Killer Loop in 7th Heaven. We took a few runs and I gave him a card pointing him in the direction of this site. Snow was pretty good, but getting to mashed potatoes once the sun got on it for a few hours.

Feb 3 - mostly cloudy, medium flat light, still no new snow. Skied for the day on Whistler. Snow was pretty dry on the Harmony/Symphony side, and decent coverage.

We may be up again this weekend and riding on Family Day, not sure though. Conditions will dictate skis/hard/soft.

-Gord

Feb 2/3 weekend:

Feb 2 - gorgeous blue-bird day. No new snow for awhile. Rode Blackcomb all day. Morning tool; Coiler 173cm VSR (love it), afternoon on softies F2 WC Eliminator. I met up with a guy on a late 90's Killer Loop in 7th Heaven. We took a few runs and I gave him a card pointing him in the direction of this site. Snow was pretty good, but getting to mashed potatoes once the sun got on it for a few hours.

Feb 3 - mostly cloudy, medium flat light, still no new snow. Skied for the day on Whistler. Snow was pretty dry on the Harmony/Symphony side, and decent coverage.

We may be up again this weekend and riding on Family Day, not sure though. Conditions will dictate skis/hard/soft.

-Gord

Nice, how many days u have under your board? My days as u can c on my signature still really really low :(

The Sun will show up start this Friday on Cypress if u change yr mind of Whistler then take Cypress for a change and its only 30 min ride from your place maybe less :)

Cheers

RT