Note to New Members ×

Glen Plake survives Himalayan avalanch

lowrider

An avalanche on 26,760-foot Mount Manaslu in the Himalayas of northern Nepal Sunday morning has left at least nine dead and six others missing. Freeski pioneer Glen Plake and ski mountaineers Rémy Lécluse and Greg Costa, who have been attempting to become the first team to ski the world's eighth highest peak without oxygen, were caught in the slide. ....

Link to article.

Tragic. :^(

• 4 months later...

A recent avalanche in Scotland :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21305724

This reminded me that last Thursday at Glenshee, I decided to ignore the great big signs warning of an avalanche risk! The visibility at top of Glas Maol was down to acouple yards. Off I went off-piste, ignoring the pisted run as I was more worried about fast skiers/snowboarders hitting me. Logic can be amiss with me at times. I suddenly realised there was no one else doing this route, it was silent, eerie, and I got a bit worried as I saw the piles and mounds of powder all around me...however, it was quite exciting at the same time:p

Anyway, I decided to traverse towards poma for use as a guide, then make my way down. I've never been so deep in powder it was amazing, I crashed into walls of it cause I couldn't see very far and appeared out of it looking like a yeti. Once I reached half way, the visibility opened up and the powder more user friendly.

The rest of my runs I sensibly got off half way up mountain, so I could see and avoid the avalanche risk.

I'm not very experienced, in mountain conditions but heck i'm not going to let that put me off:eplus2:

I found myself looking at new jackets with gadget receivers in then and at avalanche training courses.;)

Edited by floBoot