Note to New Members ×

Colorado Driving - Snow tires/chains law

Odd Job

How often are snow tires/chains required of passenger vehicles?

I'll be in Colorado late October and want to get to the slopes as soon as possible, wonder if it's required to have snow tires. I'm no stranger to driving in snow (all seasons).

October isn't much to worry about.

Get into November- and you should understand that with Colorado's less than dense population.... the snow tire default is different.

In New England- you can get by with front wheel drive and all season radials or rear wheel drive and good snows. We have excellent snow clearance crews that work round the clock....we salt and use other chemicals, we sand, we plow.

In Colorado the default is 4x4 and at the very least all season radials... preferably new snows- and if in real altitude- they better be studded if you intend to climb driveways that are icy. They sand.

Nokian Hakkapellitta makes amazing snow tires- get the Eco studs (better than the regular studs and last a lot longer) In the Escalade- I swear you feel like you could climb trees with these. On one icy morning inAspen- everyone was skidding into the intersection- every car's ABS was working overtime. I couldn't get my car to skid.

Colorado has more SUVs per capita than any other state.....and there is a good reason for that. I drive my rear wheel drive car there in October- and I don't even have to fill the gas tank before I leave in April.

Edited by John Gilmour

90% of my riding will be at either Loveland, with some Monarch, with a dash of the other summit resorts (commuting form Colorado Springs)

I would imagine the snow tire still applies? Hopefuly snow tires on a front wheel would be ok? crap, this cuts into my gear budget (None of my gear, hardboot and soft) fit me 100% correctly.

John, do you spend most of your time in soft or hardboots in Colorado?

I'm afraid I might have only enough money for one GOOD setup. I have both hard/soft gear, both in completely wrong configurations, in either fit, or choice of gear. I may need to start over.

I'm guessing with my 225lb weight, size 25.6cm foot (but extremely flat and wide, like 11cm or so wide), hardboots are the only way? (Need this setup to be versatile as I wish to explore more than just the groomed runs that CO offers).

October isn't much to worry about.

Get into November- and you should understand that with Colorado's less than dense population.... the snow tire default is differnt.

In New England- you can get by with front wheel drive and all season radials or rear wheel drive and good snows. We have excellent snow clearance crews that work round the clock.

In Colorado the default is 4x4 and at the very least all season radials... preferably new snows- and if in real altitude- they better be studded if you intend to climb driveways that are icy.

Nokian Hakkapellitta makes amazing snow tires- get the Eco studs (better than the regular studs and last a lot longer) In the Escalade- I swear you feel like you could climb trees with these.

Colorado has more SUVs per capita than any other state.....and there is a good reason for that.

How often are snow tires/chains required of passenger vehicles?

I'll be in Colorado late October and want to get to the slopes as soon as possible, wonder if it's required to have snow tires. I'm no stranger to driving in snow (all seasons).

As far as how often? I'd say that October is hit or miss, but if your driving in the mountains, and snow is down or the roads are getting slick, you at least want to have M+S rated tires.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=StatePatrol-Main%2FCBONLayout&cid=1251594537897&pagename=CBONWrapper

http://www.tirechain.com/COLORADO-ROAD-CONDITIONS.HTM

Edited by Seraph

I think that almost all of the common all-season tires have the M+S rating, and therefore meet the state's minimum legal requirement. That may be fine if you are only driving well-plowed roads in the flat parts of town. But as for a practical requirement, I think that actual winter traction tires are a necessity for going into the hills. Not just on the front (front drive), but on all four wheels, as having traction tires on only the front axle can really screw up braking dynamics. I'm not sure, but I think that many tire shops will refuse to install traction tires on only the front axle.

I drive a front wheel drive econobox with good studless winter traction tires on all four wheels. Studs are a big help on ice, but I've chosen to compromise for a quieter ride on dry roads. The difference between ordinary all-season tires and real winter tires is a large one. Even then, my ability to start from a full stop on a steep snow and ice-covered grade, during a snowstorm, when the plows haven't been able to keep up, is not good. I'm not a powderhound, and even if I was, I wouldn't head for A-Basin in my car after a snowstorm unless I'm sure that the snow has stopped falling and the plows have cleared the road. If it is still snowing hard in the morning, I'll stay home. Digging out my car takes forever anyway. I have weird traction devices called Spikes-Spider for backup, but I keep them to get me out of trouble, not to get me into trouble.

Just like during carving, the greatest danger during winter driving is other people. Last winter while driving from Silverthorne to Avon during a snowstorm I passed two different Subarus in the ditch. Overconfident people are a hazard.

So you're moving out here then?

If so, you are going to want snow tires if you don't have an awd or 4wd vehicle. If you do have the aforementioned, all seasons will work fine. So do you think you'll be making it out for the SES this season now that you're in CO?

Edited by Guest

Nokian Hakkapellitta makes amazing snow tires- get the Eco studs (better than the regular studs and last a lot longer) In the Escalade- I swear you feel like you could climb trees with these. On one icy morning inAspen- everyone was skidding into the intersection- every car's ABS was working overtime. I couldn't get my car to skid.

True.

I've been running the top end Nokians for 17 years now. They are leaps and bounds above anything else out there. A Mass state trooper let me drive a closed highway last season because it was that obvious I wasn't having any traction issues on the ice.