Note to New Members ×

Living the Dream

KingCrimson

I figured in defense of my future plans, I had to post SOMETHING positive about Mammoth. I'm less than a month from moving up to Mammoth, and I am getting very excited!

I think for now I'll just bring my skateboards and bike up, I'm sure I'll make another trip back down before the snow starts flying. I'll be living really close to the skatepark, I hope I don't hurt myself between now and the season. :o

I'm going to try and keep a journal of my time in Mammoth, and I know I won't do it if I'm writing it for myself, so I'm going to try and keep this thread alive with ride reports and rub ins, as well as anything else that comes along with living in Mammoth. It'll be a big contrast from living in San Diego, and it is my hope I have at least a few interesting things to say.

Hopefully I'll get to meet a handful of new riders that I would not have otherwise met with the June closure.

I won't have much to say until I move, although for those wishing to make reservations for my couch, I can begin scheduling you this week.

Theo

I would like to reserve a couple days if possible. It will be a bummer this year without you at The High. I guess I will have to shralp it without you. I wish you all the best. I too want to know how you will support the extracurricular activities... NIGHT JANITORIAL anywhere!!! If MMSA actually puts anyone back on the payroll... I have your BX deck btw...

Yo Theo, I'm jealous and would recommend you "live it up" while you are young and have fewer responsibilities. I was lucky enough to go to school in an area with several resorts within a 1 hour drive. Used to spend my nights on the Sundown lift at PowMow - hardly ever studied. It was great fun and glad I had the opportunity to do that. 23 years later I am working 50-60 hours per week and lucky to get 20 days on snow a season.

Please do us middle-age crisis guys proud and get lots of time on the hill. We will be living vicariously through you.

BTW - Have something for you when you take your winter gear up. Send me a message and I will fill you in.

Take care, Tom

Yo Theo, I'm jealous and would recommend you "live it up" while you are young and have fewer responsibilities. I was lucky enough to go to school in an area with several resorts within a 1 hour drive. Used to spend my nights on the Sundown lift at PowMow - hardly ever studied. It was great fun and glad I had the opportunity to do that. 23 years later I am working 50-60 hours per week and lucky to get 20 days on snow a season.

Please do us middle-age crisis guys proud and get lots of time on the hill. We will be living vicariously through you.

BTW - Have something for you when you take your winter gear up. Send me a message and I will fill you in.

Take care, Tom

Damn Straight.

and pay attention to birth control :)

Many years ago, in another life, I had someone tell me that the biggest mistake that any man can make is to believe that he is different than his fellows. History has proven that to be sage wisdom and advice.

Mark

Yep! We really are not that different are we? Shame we insist on making the same blunders :(

I like that Mark.

Theo,

It was great to meet you in person this summer. You did a great job at the Oceanside US Open Skateboard race last week. Keep up it up and you could be as fast as Joe :) We need more fellow carvers like you out there skateboard racing.

I'm so jealous of you for getting to in Mammoth and I'm looking forward to your ride reports. Stay healthy and I hope to see you up there.

Tim

Hey everyone,

I'm up in Mammoth right now applying for jobs and taking care of class related stuff. I'm really only excited about my Wave Rave application. I'm really happy to be up here, and it's a great experience even without the snow. This is my first time being here in the summer and I'm loving it.

Damn Straight.

and pay attention to birth control :)

Don't forget the power of hardboots in that situation.

Hey Theo, I'll be coming up to Mammoth quite a bit this coming season, hopefully we'll get a chance to carve some turns together. I'd like to make a reservation for your couch, what's the going rate?

For you? A couple of runs filming me!

Theo,

It was great to meet you in person this summer. You did a great job at the Oceanside US Open Skateboard race last week. Keep up it up and you could be as fast as Joe :) We need more fellow carvers like you out there skateboard racing.

I'm so jealous of you for getting to in Mammoth and I'm looking forward to your ride reports. Stay healthy and I hope to see you up there.

Tim

Thanks Tim! I stopped by June today. It's a shame that it won't be opening this season, I had no idea it was so close. I've been skating my Axe with splitfires around here, it's pretty fun and fast! Pavement is good pretty much everwhere.

Theo - Perfect that you are taking the opportunity at the age when you are most able, in many ways. Mammoth is still on my to-do list and a trip to Tahoe is long overdue, as well. Looking forward to seeing you for a few days if it all works out. Dave

I'd love to ride with you!

100 days till Mammoth opens, if that's enticing to you at all.

Take care, Tom

I'll get in touch and thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning from Mammoth Lakes!

I moved in yesterday evening. Right now I'm laying in bed watching the gondola turn outside my window. I had been proud of myself for not bringing a TV because I hadn't watched any (or had a TV set up in my house) for a year, but my place came with a flatscreen mounted on the wall so that all went to **** pretty fast. TV is awesome!

Right now I'm boiling water for eggs that will take forever to cook because water boils while it's still cold to the touch, and then I'm going to hop on my 29er and ride into town. I attached pictures (I was too excited to care about the quality of them when I was snapping away with my phone) showing how close I am to the mountain. I'm also about a 30 second drive from the sprawling 4 square mile city. I want to head out and go for a ride before it gets hot, I'll write more tonightpost-7057-141842370326_thumb.jpg

post-7057-141842370333_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not a whole lot has happened, obviously. It's a boring place to be in the summer...But I did meet the Mammoth HS snowboard coach and he will let me run gates with them every day they set up...Under the condition I make hardbooting look cool and young and hip for the softbooters. He's gonna be disappointed.. :D

Not a whole lot has happened, obviously. It's a boring place to be in the summer...

What????? This is nonsense. You have a mtn bike to keep those legs in snowboarding shape. Also, get yourself a small pack rod for fishing and throw a backpack on any go exploring

Yo.

Great place to love. If u r after a job try to land a job with mammoth mountain inn or a hotel in the village associated with the mountain. Any way to keep days free.

When I lived there many many years ago the job was 10pm - 7am so I rode everyday almost; friends worked 3pm-12am (better). Best thing was cheap food, free season pass, and being on the mountain already ready to ride 4 hours or so a day.

Nitelife in mammoth is sort of ok but a bit of a sausage fest; u need to decide if u go to ride or go to score skanks. If skanks then LA imports in the weekend might prove least problematic as they r gone soon enough so u can focus on riding.

Best decision in my life was spending a year in mammothj I am sure it will be awesome 4 u too.

Note all my info is pretty out of date as I was there working pre intrawest and last time was when rusty gregory had just taken over.

Yo.

Great place to love. If u r after a job try to land a job with mammoth mountain inn or a hotel in the village associated with the mountain. Any way to keep days free.

When I lived there many many years ago the job was 10pm - 7am so I rode everyday almost; friends worked 3pm-12am (better). Best thing was cheap food, free season pass, and being on the mountain already ready to ride 4 hours or so a day.

Nitelife in mammoth is sort of ok but a bit of a sausage fest; u need to decide if u go to ride or go to score skanks. If skanks then LA imports in the weekend might prove least problematic as they r gone soon enough so u can focus on riding.

Best decision in my life was spending a year in mammothj I am sure it will be awesome 4 u too.

Note all my info is pretty out of date as I was there working pre intrawest and last time was when rusty gregory had just taken over.

I already decided to rule out skanks for the year I'm here..It's a freakin' joke. Oh well. I spent high school doing that, may as well focus on something less obnoxious like snowboarding.

In other news, I bought a goofy '93 PJ6 for $25 today. Maybe I'll ride it at SNES if it happens in Mammoth this year.

Mark- your post really stuck with me. I didn't know how to take it at all at first- it just seemed entirely meaningless without context, but I've found it to be one of the most powerful things I've ever been told in sorting through my own internal conflicts and interactions with others. I really appreciate it.

• 3 months later...

Hey Theo it's Chris, I met you on the mountain yesterday. I haven't been on this board in a few years and was never really active, I mainly came looking for equipment, which I obviously never got... I was reading the "heard it in the lift line" thread and saw your High school coach comment and the link to this thread. Small world and very cool you are living the dream.

I have looked for equipment in the past but obviously never acquired any. The entry fee of boots, board, bindings hasnt made the list, that is after keeping growing kids in boots, skis, clothes, passes, motorcycles, etc... If someone comes across some boots 26.5, drop me a note. It would be great to get some turns in, we usually get about 20 to 30 days in at Mammoth not usually mid week but often an extended weekend. I have too many hobbies competing for dollars and need to sell some goods to support the habits. Anyone looking for a well set up yz250 or starter kids bikes :)...

Talk soon,

Chris